Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2021, 03:33 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,510,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka_757 View Post
Do you think the soccer mom set is the reason fast food restaurants are short of employees? I just don’t see it.
Many mothers do waitressing or work as hostesses. The tips are good but as I said, not as good as freedom. Many are also in clerical and retail too that don't want to go back.

I live in a college town and students do a lot of restaurant work. Dropping the unemployment and dropping the masks would be a big incentive. Many are commenting that they don't want to wear a mask their entire shift when the patrons sit there and eat unmasked. So some of them have already found other work. Fed unemployment was stopped in my state. Kind of pointless and unfair to them to wear masks when the patrons don't. It's a physical job and I wouldn't want to wear one all day either. Especially in the heat.

State mask mandates were dropped, but all of the restaurants, retail and grocery make their own rules and are keeping them indefinitely.

Old 06-07-2021, 03:35 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,481,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Entry View Post
Talk to the insurance companies, not the business.
Just ask the next car in line if you can sit on their hood and place your order. I ride a bicycle, and do this every so often.

Old 06-07-2021, 03:36 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,256,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
The unemployment subsidy is a big issue. Especially when you factor in the $600 and $300 are just the Fed amounts. State unemployment is added to that.

However, I am seeing quite a few that aren't going back to work regardless. Once people get a taste of freedom they realize how important it is. Many women especially are seeing they would rather be at home. After paying for childcare and a car payment I wondered why many bothered to work anyway.

Many got used to not living within a reasonable budget which contributed to it. Buying a huge SUV or minivan for the kids where the payment is almost as much as their mortgage as a common example of excess I see. Add eating out too often and buying too many electronic gadgets and it really adds up. After not being able to go out much for a year many see now they don't need all those extras.
I see this as contributing to the scarcity of workers. Also, older workers decided to retire - had enough and not interested in even a minor health risk of commuting and going back to the office or workplace. Done. Younger workers started online businesses and moved out of high cost cities to "the country".
Many low wage workers got jobs in the expansion of distribution centers, which offered more set hours, higher pay and benefits.
Many of the creative types (actors, musicians) who worked as bartenders and servers to supplement their income were devastated by the closing of venues and lack of live shows and touring. They pretty much all switched to a whole different line of work because if they couldn't make cash in restaurants and weren't bringing in any of that money from their artistic gigs, so then why bother with the lifestyle - might as well be a paralegal.
The unemployment subsidy was one factor - but that is done in some states and soon to be over in others.

Old 06-07-2021, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka_757 View Post
Do you think the soccer mom set is the reason fast food restaurants are short of employees? I just don’t see it.
The fast food workers went to work for distribution centers for more money with better hours. Or whole foods or trader joes. Just better jobs.

Old 06-07-2021, 03:54 PM

2,335 posts, read 815,625 times
Quote:
Many are commenting that they don't want to wear a mask their entire shift when the patrons sit there and eat unmasked. It's a physical job and I wouldn't want to wear one all day either. Especially in the heat.

State mask mandates were dropped, but all of the restaurants, retail and grocery make their own rules and are keeping them indefinitely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Also, older workers decided to retire - had enough and not interested in even a minor health risk of commuting and going back to the office or workplace. Done.

Many low wage workers got jobs in the expansion of distribution centers, which offered more set hours, higher pay and benefits.
Yep, and yep

Old 06-07-2021, 03:54 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,510,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I see this as contributing to the scarcity of workers. Also, older workers decided to retire - had enough and not interested in even a minor health risk of commuting and going back to the office or workplace. Done. Younger workers started online businesses and moved out of high cost cities to "the country".
Many of the creative types (actors, musicians) who worked as bartenders and servers to supplement their income were devastated by the closing of venues and lack of live shows and touring. They pretty much all switched to a whole different line of work because if they couldn't make cash in restaurants and weren't bringing in any of that money from their artistic gigs, so then why bother with the lifestyle - might as well be a paralegal.
The unemployment subsidy was one factor - but that is done in some states and soon to be over in others.
I agree with all this. I saw quite a few retire in my own office. Several posting on the employment board did so too.

Yes, many restaurant workers moved on to other jobs last year. No big distribution centers where I live, but Target raised their starting wage to $15/hr and Walmart is not far behind. The call center's really surprised me. They raised their starting wage to $17/hr. Most of those are work from home jobs now too.

Old 06-07-2021, 03:58 PM

4,994 posts, read 1,992,952 times
Quote:
I agree with all this. I saw quite a few retire in my own office. Several posting on the employment board did so too.

Yes, many restaurant workers moved on to other jobs last year. No big distribution centers where I live, but Target raised their starting wage to $15/hr and Walmart is not far behind. The call center's really surprised me. They raised their starting wage to $17/hr. Most of those are work from home jobs now too.

Rationalization to avoid the obvious negative effect of the extra UC payments.

Old 06-07-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
Rationalization to avoid the obvious negative effect of the extra UC payments.
Its just what we see. I live in the nyc metro area. It is not rationalization. It is what is happening.

Old 06-07-2021, 04:04 PM

10,235 posts, read 6,324,092 times
We drove an hour away Saturday to go shopping in Allentown. Every Retail store I went nearby had a Help Wanted Sign. Ross Store had ONE Cashier and the line went to the back of the store. On a weekend? Bye, bye.

Every full service restaurant we passed by had Help Wanted Signs. We stopped at a Burger King Drive Through for quick lunch on way home. Said that I needed to use the Restroom. Drive through worker told me they were not open for indoors. Manager heard this and told me they were closed to indoor dining (not STATE regulations) because they were understaffed. She said to knock on the door and she would let me in to use Restroom which I did,

This Burger King had big Help Wanted Sign outside. All shifts and positions available. Nothing is going to get back to normal until these service positions are staffed.

Old 06-07-2021, 04:04 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
Young people never were pushing and shoving to get restaurant jobs. Every owner I know says the help wanted sign never leaves the window in good time and bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies