Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2021, 04:08 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,224,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Young people never were pushing and shoving to get restaurant jobs. Every owner I know says the help wanted sign never leaves the window in good time and bad.
Nobody’s arguing that, especially when students go back to school, however, there’s obviously never been such a shortage as now.

Old 06-07-2021, 04:12 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Some people here hate Tik tok, but one of the wonderful things about it is that it debunks this B.S.

I saw a girl make a video saying life is too short to be working for a corporation that doesnt care about you, and then she showed how she set up her own business, hundreds if not thousands of people duetted or stitched it and said the same, showing themselves doing it.

One guy in particular said he noticed people getting angry because his city cut back on trash collection, so he simply charges people 2 dollars a pick up to collect trash for them and take it to the city dump. He said his permits and licenses cost him about $ 1,500, but he is making about 3000 a month. So about 19 dollars an hour.

Yall are assuming people are lazy when many people actually found the motivation to change their lives for the better.

Old 06-07-2021, 04:13 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,510,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
Rationalization to avoid the obvious negative effect of the extra UC payments.
Not at all. They were a big issue last year when at $600. It really did pay more than a lot of entry level jobs. Even the non faculty staff at a University near me. They furloughed most of their staff last year as the unemployment would be more than they make.

However, even the lesser $300 checks were stopped in my state so I know there are other factors going on now.

Old 06-07-2021, 04:17 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,257,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Some people here hate Tik tok, but one of the wonderful things about it is that it debunks this B.S.

I saw a girl make a video saying life is too short to be working for a corporation that doesnt care about you, and then she showed how she set up her own business, hundreds if not thousands of people duetted or stitched it and said the same, showing themselves doing it.

One guy in particular said he noticed people getting angry because his city cut back on trash collection, so he simply charges people 2 dollars a week to collect trash for them and take it to the city dump. He said his permits and licenses cost him about $ 1,500, but he is making about 3000 a month. So about 19 dollars an hour.

Yall are assuming people are lazy when many people actually found the motivation to change their lives for the better.
I have also seen dozens of examples of this in my world. mostly 20-30 year olds. Food trucks. etsy businesses, cosmetics, influencers (yup its a thing where you can make some real money), crypto, online tutors....

Old 06-07-2021, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post

One guy in particular said he noticed people getting angry because his city cut back on trash collection, so he simply charges people 2 dollars a pick up to collect trash for them and take it to the city dump. He said his permits and licenses cost him about $ 1,500, but he is making about 3000 a month. So about 19 dollars an hour.

When the free stuff runs out folks will be back to work...and nobody said many folks didn’t go back to work or found something else to do. The fact is that there’s a huge amount of job openings and a huge amount of folks collecting.

Old 06-07-2021, 04:27 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,980,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
We drove an hour away Saturday to go shopping in Allentown. Every Retail store I went nearby had a Help Wanted Sign. Ross Store had ONE Cashier and the line went to the back of the store. On a weekend? Bye, bye.

Every full service restaurant we passed by had Help Wanted Signs. We stopped at a Burger King Drive Through for quick lunch on way home. Said that I needed to use the Restroom. Drive through worker told me they were not open for indoors. Manager heard this and told me they were closed to indoor dining (not STATE regulations) because they were understaffed. She said to knock on the door and she would let me in to use Restroom which I did,

This Burger King had big Help Wanted Sign outside. All shifts and positions available. Nothing is going to get back to normal until these service positions are staffed.
We stopped by a Sonic a couple weeks ago and the manager was working had with his 2 staff members. They closed the car-hop because of being understaffed and are drive thru only until further notice. The manager told me they need workers but no one is applying, not even the high school kids apparently. Why would high school kids not apply for these jobs since they aren't getting unemployment? They must be making money some other kind of way... Tiktok, crypto, trading apps, etc., have really changed the game. I have a little cousin who started selling t-shirts on social media and has made a good amount of money for herself.

Old 06-07-2021, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
We stopped by a Sonic a couple weeks ago and the manager was working had with his 2 staff members. They closed the car-hop because of being understaffed and are drive thru only until further notice. The manager told me they need workers but no one is applying, not even the high school kids apparently. Why would high school kids not apply for these jobs since they aren't getting unemployment? They must be making money some other kind of way... Tiktok, crypto, trading apps, etc., have really changed the game. I have a little cousin who started selling t-shirts on social media and has made a good amount of money for herself.
Links to tik-tok, crypto, trading apps, etc..., for why workers, especially entry level workers aren’t applying? If this is a viable reason there should no doubt have the media buzzing.

Old 06-07-2021, 04:34 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,980,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Links to tik-tok, crypto, trading apps, etc..., for why workers, especially entry level workers aren’t applying? If this is a viable reason there should no doubt have the media buzzing.
Do what the kids are doing and research it yourself. Stop trusting in the media to give you everything. They won't tell you until most of the money has been made already. Keep up. Besides, there have already been articles on this on a few mainstream sources but you just have to type it into your search bar...

Old 06-07-2021, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/...head-for-etsy/

Old 06-07-2021, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka_757 View Post
My eldest worked for a bookstore during high school then moved onto paid internships in her field of study during college. My youngest worked first at a rec center and then for a garden center during high school before moving onto internships. Frankly, food service sucks. I did it myself back in the day, and it was the worst job I ever held. I can’t blame the teens for avoiding it. I’d rather be a life guard, too.
You can make 15-20 an hour cash babysitting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies