Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 06:52 AM

23,976 posts, read 15,086,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I’m in WA.
Solar panel composition:

glass (75%), followed by polymer (10%), aluminum (8%), silicon (5%), copper (1%) and small amounts of silver, tin, lead, and other metals and components. Lead and tin, if leached into soil and groundwater cause health and environmental concerns, while copper, silver, and silicon present a value opportunity if recovered efficiently.

If you think a small amount of lead and tin is very toxic, you’ll be horrified by coal plants.
And petroleum production.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2021, 06:59 AM

Perusing the state sponsored electricity provider site, powertochoose.org, I find 100% renewable electricity can be obtained by homeowners in my zip code for less than .10 per kWH.

Old 04-25-2021, 07:43 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,400,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Perusing the state sponsored electricity provider site, powertochoose.org, I find 100% renewable electricity can be obtained by homeowners in my zip code for less than .10 per kWH.
Have you looked at the connection into your meter and ever noticed the dedicated renewable energy line that is there? Because if you don’t have one of those you will have to be under the assumption you are getting your energy from the same place as everybody else is.

Old 04-25-2021, 08:07 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The OP's summary is lacking, there must be more details. Most solar systems have an upfront cost but there is a long term pay back, need to see the specifics.
It really depends upon what you use if it will pay for itself. The battery pack is what kills you, that and the inverter. If you dont use a lot of power then it is an expensive endeavor. Mine paid for itself in about 6 or 7 years.

Green is a good idea and it is a win win deal for everyone. I am certain you had people in the day that hated cars, electricity, and street lights.

Old 04-25-2021, 08:21 AM

57,295 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
It really depends upon what you use if it will pay for itself. The battery pack is what kills you, that and the inverter. If you dont use a lot of power then it is an expensive endeavor. Mine paid for itself in about 6 or 7 years.

Green is a good idea and it is a win win deal for everyone. I am certain you had people in the day that hated cars, electricity, and street lights.
Well that is my point, there is a pay back period, the OP just made it sound like they wanted him to pay an increased cost of 25% to go solar. Needs more specifics.

Old 04-25-2021, 08:28 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Well that is my point, there is a pay back period, the OP just made it sound like they wanted him to pay an increased cost of 25% to go solar. Needs more specifics.
It is not even that -- this is called "push polling." Common in politics, and used by unethical corporations as a sort of phony marketing.

By pre-polluting the minds of the customer base, this utility which probably wants to stick with its old, paid for, polluting systems, wants their customers to believe that if the utility switches to Solar PV - the utility will "have" to raise the price.

The entire concept is fake. Putting Silicon Solar PV into a Grid system makes the reliability go up and the costs go DOWN. So. Who would not want that to happen?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_poll

Old 04-25-2021, 08:31 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
It sounds to me that your electric company needs to build a transmission line to hook up the windmill's power to the grid.

That's a very common problem with wind generation. The wind power company gets a bunch of windmills up and running, but has no way to move the power from the wind field to the big power grid where the power is distributed.

You would think something like this is all worked out first, but it's not. Wind generation is like oil wildcatting; sometimes its the company that gets to the field first that counts, and then the 'pipe' to carry the power is assumed to come later.

Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. There are always some people who don't want high-power electric lines running through their back yard. Those folks can stop a transmission line cold.

Old 04-25-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
Have you looked at the connection into your meter and ever noticed the dedicated renewable energy line that is there? Because if you don’t have one of those you will have to be under the assumption you are getting your energy from the same place as everybody else is.
We have had smart meters for years.

The trouble in unregulated electricity market Texas, we could not sell our solar generated power back to the grid. Now we can and I see more and more solar panels on roofs in my neighborhood.

But wind is so good, the Chinese are buying up ranch land in the windy areas to generate electricity.

DH did some work for a company that has small roof mounted wind generators. When we all had wood shingle roofs, we also had those whirly things that drew the heat out of the attic. I wonder why those can't be modified to produce electricity. Just need batteries to store it. That's the problem. Expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies