Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 06:26 PM

22,690 posts, read 24,713,753 times

Advertisements

At this point, a true game-changer that would turn this disgusting, failing Empire around
is a distinct impossibility............too gone, too rotten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2021, 06:30 PM

29,914 posts, read 25,040,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Fair enough. My response then? Things aren't going to hell. The US is doing very well. There's so much information it's easy to slip inside a bubble (ultra conservative, like this forum, or ultra-liberal, like other forums) and become convinced certain viewpoints are true, but by and large there's not a lot to worry about. Things are changing, but change isn't a bad thing.

Things will be OK.

Things will be ok somewhere in the world, but my concern in for the USA. We are being led by fools who are fanning the flames of racism, encouraging violence, arson, turning criminals into false idols. It's not ok. Pretending it is doesn't make it so.

Old 04-24-2021, 06:33 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,932,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Things will be ok somewhere in the world, but my concern in for the USA. We are being led by fools who are fanning the flames of racism, encouraging violence, arson, turning criminals into false idols. It's not ok. Pretending it is doesn't make it so.
I don't see that happening. That's what I'm saying. I see claims of that by extremist more than I actually see it in reality.

Old 04-24-2021, 06:38 PM

8,586 posts, read 4,828,153 times
I was prepared for another hella right-wing and slightly deranged tirade about the ills of America. So, I was greatly heartened by a basically good and holistic summation of issues which is political, basically, but not partisan. This is basically a Joe Rogan-esque take on what’s ailing America.

It’s spot-on that the media has been failing at its job for decades, and I think that’s a huge part of why other things are crumbling. Free speech is sacred, but being abused by not being used for its fundamental importance: always cleansing all corners of society through shining sunlight on them. MSM is shameful in that they deliberately shade whatever their chosen corner of the elites’ world benefits them the most.

In the meantime, enough of us are sufficiently fat and happy to ignore a lot of the festering wounds here, and when they do get addressed, it goes horribly sideways; witness BLM and what might early in have been a good attempt at criminal justice reform, or the Tea Party, which in a flash went from an interesting blossoming of libertarian/founding father ideals, to something subsumed by mainstream right-wing swill and made into less of a philosophical force to change American politics, than an excuse to go back to some bad-old-days ideas which also came from the founding and their subsequent generations.

Lastly, there are a lot of societal ills which have never been solved, which is weird for a place like the US, with the economic might which it possesses. Part of this is that the Feds are devastatingly inept at applying grand ideas in meaningful ways, but also that Americans are a bit selfish - despite the fact that Americans tend to be fairly giving to charities by every stat I’ve seen, I don’t think Americans feel bound enough either as a country or even in their own communities to do much about it. It’s an open question to me whether this would be different had The New Deal or The Great Society not come to pass - there was a fairly robust system of mutual aid societies as well as other local charity-type or cost-sharing associations before folks felt like the Feds would come to the rescue.

And so, we’re in a pickle. I can see why folks want to expand the government role, because there are some clear inadequacies. I can see why rolling current fed programs back would take decades to try and fill privately now that the old systems of private community help have been long gone from living memory. But that ineptitude is something else.

So where do we go from here? I don’t know. I think it starts with getting out of the tribal partisan trough we are in, and quitting a lot of the MSM and social media news feeds. I don’t know how to economically favor and empower real journalism, the kind of stinging stuff which could and would just as easily topple any politician or administration over vile conduct no matter who the editor or reporters were. I’d love to see straight-ticket voting options disappear, and with less vigor I would like to see ranked-choice voting, as well as have term limits implemented or tightened. I would also like to see presidential debates have the polling totals dropped so that more outsider candidates could come in. And there’s a few more ideas, but they’re even more pie-in-the-sky than what I’ve already written, lol.

Old 04-24-2021, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
I don't see that happening. That's what I'm saying. I see claims of that by extremist more than I actually see it in reality.

You choose to see what you want to see, just as you choose to believe what you want to believe. What I see is a nation throwing away democracy and replacing it with some sort of primitive mob rule, where certain people get their way because of self perceive victim hood. That will never work or make the nation strong and prosperous. Trying to force it to work will lead to collapse.

There are literally mobs of people roaming the streets and terrorizing people, and people are pretending this is for some reason ok. This is what a civilization on the verge of collapse looks like. For you to pretend that this is not happening simply proves you are willfully oblivious to the obvious.

Old 04-24-2021, 06:41 PM

13,721 posts, read 9,056,906 times
Quote:
Can anyone explain why I am incorrect in feeling this way? The results speak for themselves. Large segments of the population are chronically ill, obese, drug addicted, now STD rates are reaching new record highs. We also have a large percentage of the population that is mentally ill and chooses to externalize their problems by attacking others, attacking society, etc.

Not a good look for the post modern United States. No one seems interested in helping. Everyone seems to be focused on profiting for themselves exclusively. As long as we can make a buck, we pretend these issues don't effect us. I think that primitive level of thinking is wrong and we should know better.

Our politicians and media are doing us no favors. They are focused entirely on their careers and personal wealth. These spend most of their time and energy distracting us by shifting the blame towards their adversaries. Our lives are going to suck if we willingly follow selfish, chaotic people.

Well, you are describing Mr. Trump and Republicans exactly.

Old 04-24-2021, 06:44 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,932,760 times
Quote:
You choose to see what you want to see, just as you choose to believe what you want to believe. What I see is a nation throwing away democracy and replacing it with some sort of primitive mob rule, where certain people get their way because of self perceive victim hood. That will never work or make the nation strong and prosperous. Trying to force it to work will lead to collapse.

There are literally mobs of people roaming the streets and terrorizing people, and people are pretending this is for some reason ok. This is what a civilization on the verge of collapse looks like. For you to pretend that this is not happening simply proves you are willfully oblivious to the obvious.
I don't see things as any worse than they have been for decades. I just see more media attention to bring select bad scenarios in front of us. I live in a major city in the northeast. If I went by what the media claims is happening, I should be afraid to walk out my front door. Instead, in reality, it's life as usual.

I've sat on the curb and talked to people in those BLM 'mobs' (as one example) and never once been around violent people. 99% of them are genuinely good people. Again, turn off the news, go outside and look at things for yourself, they aren't as bad as the internet, or the media (left and right wing) makes it out to be.

Old 04-24-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Well, you are describing Mr. Trump and Republicans exactly.

The reaction to Trump perhaps. On day one, Pantifa was out in DC smashing windows, attacking businesses, destroying everything their puny little arms could. It resembled the garbage going on in Nazi Germany in the 30's, when the government celebrated and encouraged people to attack Jewish owned businesses. It is shameful, disgusting, and driven entirely by hatred and other primitive emotions and logic. Look where it led them. They had to be put in their place, but millions died as a result of their garbage logic and thinking.

The Germans were not correct in their actions any more than today's radicals who are behaving this way in America. The actions of the people in Nazi Germany directly led to mass suffering, death, and a whole lot of other nasty crap that we should have no desire to relive.

If you want to take out your frustrations on someone, do the world a favor and drink a beer. Destroy yourself with cigarettes. Do whatever you must do. But the minute you choose to take out your frustrations by harming others, you are clearly in the wrong. People will defend themselves. Push will come to shove, and it will be ugly and unpleasant for everyone. I prefer to have a good time while I'm here alive in America. I'm sorry others aren't down with that, but that's on them.

The path we are on as a nation leads to nothing good, and it must change course. I don't care what you or anyone thinks about Trump, Biden, etc. I care about the results and outcomes for our nation and it's people.

Old 04-24-2021, 09:49 PM

1,514 posts, read 491,938 times
When all the world has is mockery, everything becomes a cheap copy. As they say; History repeats itself... Till all sense of origin is lost. Mirrored in mockery.

While the evolutionists can only look at all history as beneath them, by the nature of that belief, and in their sense always separating themselves further and further from the origin they claim, to maintain their claim of evolving. The evolutionist can never arrive at a place or origin called home. They must keep evolving into the unknown, and some unknown destiny. The same kind of place the big bang theory is claimed to be proven at, a black hole, as they claim that as their vantage point, to align with. While they claim their time warp on the other side of that, and show cartoon imagery of it. As that is the unknown that they seek, as they claim to be light on the other side. But seeking the unknown is a journey into darkness, and they are not the Life in the origin of eternal light birthed in time, or the harmony in which it is shared. They claim their origin from an explosion, which can never know One Togetherness at the point of reveal, just eternally separated division with no home to return too. Expelled from the origin they claim.

I am thankful to know that which is greater than me, throughout all history and all the way to the Living origin, as it is given to look forward to and not something that is behind me, but always before me, with nourishment. Growing toward what is known. The living origin and the first spoken judgement, that is also shared together in light and knowing, made to be known in first spoken light.

The scientists and physicists make bombs that kill people, even bombs big enough to kill all people on earth and out of the other side of their mouths claim that an explosion and the release of that energy is what brought forth life. You would think that they would be trying to build a life bomb, in agreement with the origin and wisdom they claim. While all they have produced is explosions that kill and maim people, which is their heartless brain child. While they tell everyone to follow the science.

Last edited by chief scum; 04-24-2021 at 10:18 PM..

Old 04-24-2021, 10:08 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,721,805 times
Quote:
Can anyone explain why I am incorrect in feeling this way? The results speak for themselves. Large segments of the population are chronically ill, obese, drug addicted, now STD rates are reaching new record highs. We also have a large percentage of the population that is mentally ill and chooses to externalize their problems by attacking others, attacking society, etc.

Not a good look for the post modern United States. No one seems interested in helping. Everyone seems to be focused on profiting for themselves exclusively. As long as we can make a buck, we pretend these issues don't effect us. I think that primitive level of thinking is wrong and we should know better.

Our politicians and media are doing us no favors. They are focused entirely on their careers and personal wealth. These spend most of their time and energy distracting us by shifting the blame towards their adversaries. Our lives are going to suck if we willingly follow selfish, chaotic people.
How silly. Forced desegregation upon the South decades ago drove many people there mentally ill, yet the country survived it.

And now that it's better known that being in good shape and good health will help people survive pandemics, more people than ever will be wanting to improve their health. As a reflection of that, the parking lot at my local Planet Fitness fairly often looks about full.

People are sick of the mass media and tuning it out from them only pointing out hypocrisy and offering no solutions to the problems in society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies