Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 05:43 PM

29,919 posts, read 25,040,196 times

Advertisements

Can anyone explain why I am incorrect in feeling this way? The results speak for themselves. Large segments of the population are chronically ill, obese, drug addicted, now STD rates are reaching new record highs. We also have a large percentage of the population that is mentally ill and chooses to externalize their problems by attacking others, attacking society, etc.

Not a good look for the post modern United States. No one seems interested in helping. Everyone seems to be focused on profiting for themselves exclusively. As long as we can make a buck, we pretend these issues don't effect us. I think that primitive level of thinking is wrong and we should know better.

Our politicians and media are doing us no favors. They are focused entirely on their careers and personal wealth. These spend most of their time and energy distracting us by shifting the blame towards their adversaries. Our lives are going to suck if we willingly follow selfish, chaotic people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2021, 05:51 PM

4,321 posts, read 2,510,665 times
The rotted-out husk of America is in the terminal stages of decline and decay. The levels of corruption, decadence, and dysfunction have reached heights I never thought possible. American society is held together by glue, and that glue is money. Once the money breaks down, and we lose our reserve currency status (which is basically the only thing America has going for it at this point), all bets are off the table. I expect America at that point to completely degenerate into savagery- a Hobbesian dystopia of all against all, where life is solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short.

Old 04-24-2021, 06:13 PM

15,949 posts, read 12,347,801 times
The world is what you make of it. You can choose to see the good or the bad. My main concern is the democrat identity politics experiment which has a very bad odor to it.... If anything destroys the country it will it the final outcome of this experiment taken to it's full conclusion. There's a good chance within 20 years china will be able to take over the planet if it wants, at the rate things are going. Nothing lasts forever though.

Old 04-24-2021, 06:17 PM

2,472 posts, read 2,509,327 times
Old Ben's prediction seem truer now than ever:

Benjamin Franklin famously wrote that "when people find they can vote themselves money, that will be the end of the republic".

Old 04-24-2021, 06:19 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,932,760 times
“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.â€

― Socrates

Every generation has said the generation that comes after it is ruining the world. Things aren't going to hell, you're just getting older.

Old 04-24-2021, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Old Ben's prediction seem truer now than ever:

Benjamin Franklin famously wrote that "when people find they can vote themselves money, that will be the end of the republic".

I've been told that he never said that, we just attribute the quote to him. But what do I know. What I do know is that many of the things we've been taught to believe have been demonstrated to be a lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.â€

― Socrates

Every generation has said the generation that comes after it is ruining the world. Things aren't going to hell, you're just getting older.

Civilizations have collapsed before in the past. The reasons for their collapse is up for debate. Trying to deny the truth is not a wise strategy and will not lead to positive results. I simply refuse to pretend that everything is fine and there is no need for improvement. That's not how great societies and civilizations are made or preserved.

Old 04-24-2021, 06:22 PM

12,992 posts, read 9,717,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Can anyone explain why I am incorrect in feeling this way? The results speak for themselves. Large segments of the population are chronically ill, obese, drug addicted, now STD rates are reaching new record highs. We also have a large percentage of the population that is mentally ill and chooses to externalize their problems by attacking others, attacking society, etc.

Not a good look for the post modern United States. No one seems interested in helping. Everyone seems to be focused on profiting for themselves exclusively. As long as we can make a buck, we pretend these issues don't effect us. I think that primitive level of thinking is wrong and we should know better.

Our politicians and media are doing us no favors. They are focused entirely on their careers and personal wealth. These spend most of their time and energy distracting us by shifting the blame towards their adversaries. Our lives are going to suck if we willingly follow selfish, chaotic people.
Who is leading people to do these things? Much of what you mentioned have no direct connection to politicians and media. How much of it is personal responsibility, these people own choices to do these things and live their lives that way. I know we like to blame the media and politicians on almost everything, but some of these things is just a matter of bad choices, and giving up on life. We can all relate to the mental health issues, because the pandemic have been mentally challenging for lots of people of all walks of life. And made worse for those who been struggling with it before the pandemic. The government can do more to provide funding for mental health, and the media can bring more awareness to the struggle. The moral fiber of our society is just eroding away, and it's not getting any better.

Old 04-24-2021, 06:23 PM

4,941 posts, read 2,726,972 times
it is all because KUWTK is ending..sad but true..

Old 04-24-2021, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmUp View Post
Like trickle down economics?

That was a fairy tale and never worked in practice. Giving weapons to the Taliban to fight to Russians was also silly and a foolish pursuit.

Old 04-24-2021, 06:26 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,932,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Civilizations have collapsed before in the past. The reasons for their collapse is up for debate. Trying to deny the truth is not a wise strategy and will not lead to positive results. I simply refuse to pretend that everything is fine and there is no need for improvement. That's not how great societies and civilizations are made or preserved.
Fair enough. My response then? Things aren't going to hell. The US is doing very well. There's so much information it's easy to slip inside a bubble (ultra conservative, like this forum, or ultra-liberal, like other forums) and become convinced certain viewpoints are true, but by and large there's not a lot to worry about. Things are changing, but change isn't a bad thing.

Things will be OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies