Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 10:43 AM

8,946 posts, read 2,970,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
A person should be able to identify someone in the that they think make sense. But saying that these terms should be categories recognized by the US government is silly. And they really serve no purpose. People don't go into police precints and describe suspects nearly as much as they fill out government forms or job applications. In those cases they really serve no purpose.
Bahahahahaha:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beZ5w0wCGyM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 10:46 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,594,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
No, 80% of Puerto Ricans are white. Fact.

Yes they do. Are you not aware that most "hispanics" identify as white?

I lived in a Mexican neighborhood for over 10 years. My girlfriend is half Puerto Rican. Her father is Puerto Rican with an entire Puerto Rican family. I'm friends with tons of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans in NYC and in Philly. None, and I mean none of them call themselves white.

Old 04-26-2021, 10:46 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,204,814 times
Quote:
"POC" was all a con.

Historically "colored" was just a term for black people. Blacks were the only colored people. The broad notion of "people of color" that we have today started in the 80s, when two new fake minority groups were politically fabricated "Asian-Pacific Islander", and "Hispanic".
Although the terms Hispanic and Asian/Pacific Islander did not make it into the census until the 1980s or 1990, I think the concept (especially when it comes to Hispanics) was already underway in the 1960s, or even arguably as far back as the use of Mexican, Chinese, and Japanese on the 1930 census or earlier. From the 1960s to 70s, in Chicago, there was a political activist group created by Puerto Ricans called the Young Lords, essentially their version of the Black Panther Party, with almost the same attire and fist in the air. I think it was Puerto Ricans in Chicago and New York/Northeast that really pushed "Latino/Hispanic" to be acknowledged by the government as an distinct ethnic group from just being white, black, Asian, or Amerindian. Puerto Ricans have a different experience from other hispanics, in that they are natural citizens going on for over 100 years, yet were not accepted as Americans(let alone white) when they began migrating to the mainland in waves during the 1940s-1970s. They have different experiences from the Mexicans in Texas during the 1950s and 60s. I would even say the Mexicans who have made their way up North during that time period were not completely accepted as white either.

Old 04-26-2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
You still can prove why we need racial categories. If you can quantify their value, please do it. We don't need language to describe people. Again computer vision does it better, without the use of works, descriptions or labels.

Old 04-26-2021, 10:55 AM

3,864 posts, read 2,233,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I think the concept (especially when it comes to Hispanics) was already underway in the 1960s
No. There was no NOTION that Spanish speakers were a minority group. Even in Texas, there was no concept of "hispanics". White people who speak Spanish used to be just that.

It wasn't a self-identity either. Mexicans, Cubans, and Puerto Ricans, never thought of themselves collectively in the 60s. They used to be unrelated nationality groups. And they were not minorities. Nearly all them identified as white.

Quote:
I think it was Puerto Ricans in Chicago and New York/Northeast that really pushed "Latino/Hispanic"
No Mexican activist groups in the 70s were behind the whole scam. They concocted the concept.

Old 04-26-2021, 10:55 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,080,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Most Mexicans you see in America are far more aligned with indigenous cultures like Iztecas and Mayans than they are with Spain. Again just because they have the language doesn't make them aligned with Spain. Spain is pretty universally hated in many parts of Latin America anyway. And outside of speaking Spanish most places in Latin America don't derive their culture from it. Maybe a few customs here and there. But they mostly look towards idignenious groups as their roots.

The exception are islands like Puerto Rico. Where they seem to align more with African roots more than anything.
I am not talking about Mexicans (the nationality) who hail from indigenous peoples.

I am discussing Mexicans (the nationality) who have European / Spanish / white ancestry. They are not people of color.

I am not discussing language, culture, or customs. Strictly genetics.

What part of this is confusing?

Old 04-26-2021, 10:56 AM

4,907 posts, read 3,365,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
It seems like a calculated attempt to unite everyone who is not Caucasian into an us against them division.

If I was Asian I would resent this scam too. More woke nonsense.

Good luck uniting Asians with blacks. Asians know who their enemies are in spite of what the media tries to spin.
While Asians are often antagonistic and even racist against blacks, they are also becoming increasingly so against whites (especially younger generation).

Old 04-26-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
No. There was no NOTION that Spanish speakers were a minority group. Even in Texas, there was no concept of "hispanics". White people who speak Spanish used to be just that.

It wasn't a self-identity either. Mexicans, Cubans, and Puerto Ricans, never thought of themselves collectively in the 60s. They used to be unrelated nationality groups. And they were not minorities. Nearly all them identified as white.

No Mexican activist groups in the 70s were behind the whole scam. They concocted the concept.

I mean you have a clear agenda here. You seem to really have an issue with Latin people not being considered white. Though I don't personally know of any latin person who wants to be considered white. I mean you seem to really really be upset that these new categories exist. I mean would just calling everyone but black people white make you happy? I don't even get why it's a big deal. But maybe it's a big deal to you. Even if hispanic people with brow skin and wavy hair, or East Asian people were called white. They'd still be looked at as being different at the end of the day. Because they don't even look white. But whatever, ultimately racial categories are stupid anyway. I'm more upset that people give these categories any more weight beyond convenient labels.

I think racial categories is such a 18th and 19th century idea. And has really no place in a modern and technologically advanced society. They really don't serve a purpose to anyone but politicians who need to engage certain voting blocs.

Old 04-26-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I am not talking about Mexicans (the nationality) who hail from indigenous peoples.

I am discussing Mexicans (the nationality) who have European / Spanish / white ancestry. They are not people of color.

Genetically they're more indigenous than European

Old 04-26-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post

Anyway genetics are quite irrelevant when we're talking about racial caterogires. Because racial categories are not rooted in any genetic reality. If we want to get into genetics. 2 black families can have completely different genetic makeups. Mostly because Africa itself is a genetically diverse continent, particularly West Africa. So that means that an African immigrant who came from Kenya has nothing genetically in common with a black person who was born in America.

How about "white" people. Do you think Italians and Germans share the same genes? How are slavic and British people?

It was never about genetics. So let's just remove that from the conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies