Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2021, 01:37 PM

52,307 posts, read 52,756,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I wrote a novel, but I deleted every word.

Just Choose your battles and fight for what really matters.

POC just means anybody who are not white, no more less. Label only has meanings when you give meanings to it.
I said upthread that it's sort of a lazy way of saying non-white, a way to not have to delineate each group.

I don't use the saying because it sounds kind of dumb to me, but whatever works for people I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 01:39 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,639,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I said upthread that it's sort of a lazy way of saying non-white, a way to not have to delineate each group.

I don't use the saying because it sounds kind of dumb to me, but whatever works for people I guess.
Yep.

Old 04-26-2021, 01:43 PM

5,153 posts, read 4,984,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I wrote a novel, but I deleted every word.

Just Choose your battles and fight for what really matters.

POC just means anybody who are not white, no more less. Label only has meanings when you give meanings to it.

what is point of lumping distinctive groups into a "meaningless" label?

Old 04-26-2021, 01:43 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,594,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
what is point of lumping distinctive groups into a "meaningless" label?
What is the point of labels at all?

Old 04-26-2021, 01:44 PM

3,864 posts, read 2,233,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Haven followed the debates for years. It comes down to political and social power the Hispanic now, after the early 70s, gains for not being White since the culture turned.

So as no longer White they siphoned off political set asides aimed to repay Blacks.
Exactly, and black people should not be sharing any resources with people who were never considered to be minorities before the 1980s.

[img]

It's despicable that everybody wants to be a minority in the post-civil rights era, and they just fabricated all these new fake minority groups. There's even a notion to make Middle Easterners into a non-white minority group. Identity politics is a joke today.

Old 04-26-2021, 01:49 PM

5,153 posts, read 4,984,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
What is the point of labels at all?

Labels are used to label with defined or implicated meanings, but the poster above claimed that labels had no meanings unless you attach some to it, which was a denial attempt of sth....

Old 04-26-2021, 02:04 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,639,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Labels are used to label with defined or implicated meanings, but the poster above claimed that labels had no meanings unless you attach some to it, which was a denial attempt of sth....
well then fight for it. <shrug>

Old 04-26-2021, 02:08 PM

3,864 posts, read 2,233,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Just as today, most people don't think of Middle Easterners as just white and they are some within that group pushing for a separate MENA label from white/Caucasian on the census
No, you wouldn't notice most middle eastern people. Most of them are literally white. Cenk Uygur from the Young Turks is middle eastern. That's what most of them look like. The Kardashian family is middle eastern.

Quote:
people of Spanish-speaking countries were self-identifying as being something not quite white Hispanic/latino became a government-sponsored term.
Nope, they used to say that they were white, and people considered them white. People thought "hispanic" was a ridiculous concept when it was introduced.

It took 20 years before "hispanic" was normalized, and they were actually taken seriously as minorities.

Old 04-26-2021, 03:07 PM

6,701 posts, read 2,991,446 times
It's not just a label to be sure.

It may feel like it on census' or whatever.

But for example, my wife is graduating soon and she was asked to attend a POC virtual job fair.
So it goes without saying that whites weren't asked to attend.
It was mostly black and hispanic, few asians. I mean, it's NYC,...so it's expected.

Old 04-26-2021, 03:15 PM

16,565 posts, read 10,657,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
My current gf, Asian, who is Woke as you can be, loves the term. She acts like she has honorary black status using the term. She will also go out of here way to talk to black Vagrants and Pan Handlers on the street Yep, pretty Nutty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I know, I'm nuts and could probably get someone more compatible with me, but she won't go away
If she's as woke as you say, you may wish to consider enrolling in the Witness Protection program. 'Cause more often than not, woke and non-woke don't go well together, and it can be quite miserable for the non-woke person. Ask me how I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies