Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2021, 12:40 PM

3,867 posts, read 2,245,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I guess Chicago and New York were different beasts from Texas of the 1960s and 1970s, as neighborhoods are according to ethnicity/race, and a Puerto Rican or Mexican couldn't just get by being openly white people.
In the 50s and the 60s, Mexicans used to say that they were white. It was rude in Texas, to say or imply that a Mexican wasn't white. You could start a fight with them.

Quote:
You seem to imply the latino/hispanic just came into existence in a vacuum, and that regular people weren't self-identifying as such years before then.
That's the truth! The concept was arbitrarily invented from whole cloth! They didn't even know that they were "hispanic". Millions of people were just told that they were "hispanic" in the late 70s or the in 80s, and they didn't understand what it meant. No one had ever heard of "hispanic".

It's was that contrived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 12:44 PM

12,435 posts, read 8,225,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I mean you have a clear agenda here. You seem to really have an issue with Latin people not being considered white. Though I don't personally know of any latin person who wants to be considered white. I mean you seem to really really be upset that these new categories exist. I mean would just calling everyone but black people white make you happy? I don't even get why it's a big deal. But maybe it's a big deal to you. Even if hispanic people with brow skin and wavy hair, or East Asian people were called white. They'd still be looked at as being different at the end of the day. Because they don't even look white. But whatever, ultimately racial categories are stupid anyway. I'm more upset that people give these categories any more weight beyond convenient labels.

I think racial categories is such a 18th and 19th century idea. And has really no place in a modern and technologically advanced society. They really don't serve a purpose to anyone but politicians who need to engage certain voting blocs.
Haven followed the debates for years. It comes down to political and social power the Hispanic now, after the early 70s, gains for not being White since the culture turned.

So as no longer White they siphoned off political set asides aimed to repay Blacks.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:50 PM

34,198 posts, read 47,501,390 times
Just rename this the Race and Politics forum already

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-26-2021, 01:03 PM

52,395 posts, read 52,893,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
No we aren't.

The fallacious idea that we are "moving backward as a society" is the same old regurgitated nonsense we heard for decades from Rush Limbaugh, and all the talking heads that followed him.

We aren't moving backward in any way whatsoever if you step back and look at the reality of the situation. Most people in the USA are wealthy beyond measure in the eyes of the world. Most people in the USA have freedoms that are totally incomprehensible to other societies.

Do we still need to work every day toward making it better and more equitable? Absolutely, but it is only the far Right and far Left that portrays the USA in some dire state of distress teetering on the edge of disaster. They do this because they understand that to get extreme ideas accepted, they have to use fear and hate and division to keep people feeling scared and sorry for themselves.

How else could you possibly get normal intelligent people to gather together in a mob to attack the very House that protects their freedom and their prosperity?

Everyone that lives in the real world out here ignores this nonsense. Practical Centrists have driven us forward for decades, and they will keep driving us forward.
In terms of how race is viewed in this country we are most certainly going backwards. Woke crap and identity polics are driving all of this stuff.

Critical race theory is infiltrating various institutions, it's now starting to gain some traction in the military.

There are those that are pushing this hard, this idea of not being an individual, but a checkbox is awful in my opinion and it is being pushed onto people and to say otherwise just isn't the case.

When you start having separate college graduation ceremonies based on race or sexual orientation, we most certainly are going backwards.

Old 04-26-2021, 01:28 PM

31,200 posts, read 22,223,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
lol
I know, I'm nuts and could probably get someone more compatible with me, but she won't go away

Old 04-26-2021, 01:29 PM

31,200 posts, read 22,223,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
In terms of how race is viewed in this country we are most certainly going backwards. Woke crap and identity polics are driving all of this stuff.

Critical race theory is infiltrating various institutions, it's now starting to gain some traction in the military.

There are those that are pushing this hard, this idea of not being an individual, but a checkbox is awful in my opinion and it is being pushed onto people and to say otherwise just isn't the case.

When you start having separate college graduation ceremonies based on race or sexual orientation, we most certainly are going backwards.
Absolutely!

Old 04-26-2021, 01:32 PM

3,867 posts, read 2,245,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
And has really no place in a modern and technologically advanced society. They really don't serve a purpose to anyone but politicians who need to engage certain voting blocs.
Racial/ethnic statistics today are mostly used to track discrimination, inequality and use those statistics to enforce civil rights legislation.

The "hispanic" political group uses their statistic to appropriate the largest share of funding and government resources intended for minorities.

Quote:
I mean would just calling everyone but black people white make you happy? I don't even get why it's a big deal.
Civil rights legislation was meant to redress historical exclusion that happened to minorities. So only ethnic groups who were considered to be minorities before then should get those benefits/protections.

That's not what happened. In the 70s, they just fabricated a bunch of new fake minority groups - the so called "people of color".

https://twitter.com/JBrisenio411/sta...91387339595782

The biggest irony today is that white people who speak Spanish are the largest minority group, and most resources for minorities are going to them. Before the civil rights movement, there was no NOTION of them as minorities. When it was a privilege to be white, they were white.

Dr. Claude Anderson discussed this in one of his talks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnH6-C9VKlE&t=7s

Old 04-26-2021, 01:32 PM

5,194 posts, read 5,021,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I know, I'm nuts and could probably get someone more compatible with me, but she won't go away

lol... you either dump her now, or wait to be dumped when your woke gf finds a woke fit for herself to quench her woke desire...

Old 04-26-2021, 01:34 PM

39,341 posts, read 27,740,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
As an asian, I found it ridiculous to be labelled as "POC"...who the heck coined this stupid label for asians and others? Was it by some colorless/transparent aliens from the Venus?

I welcome all of you to join me to rip this stupid label and put it to rest before it gets spread in the media.
I wrote a novel, but I deleted every word.

Just Choose your battles and fight for what really matters.

POC just means anybody who are not white, no more less. Label only has meanings when you give meanings to it.

Old 04-26-2021, 01:36 PM

39,341 posts, read 27,740,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
ask her if she ever dated and will ever date a black man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies