Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2021, 12:01 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,618,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Only woke ones.
Ok you're clearly not serious. Or so entrenched in partisan politics that you can have any sort of dialogue or conversation without putting people into "woke" vs "unwoke".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 12:03 PM

8,326 posts, read 3,978,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I think it should be viewed this way across the board. Race shouldn't be an issue or regard at all in my opinion. Some guy walks into a store and holds the joint up, of course you need a way to describe the guy, or whatever, but other than that what the hell does race matter? Our culture is leaning toward race being everything now. The woke-scolds are divisive nasty people in my opinion. Every thing about a person is now based on their race.

The whole thing is beyond stupid in my opinion and we're going backwards as a society.
No we aren't.

The fallacious idea that we are "moving backward as a society" is the same old regurgitated nonsense we heard for decades from Rush Limbaugh, and all the talking heads that followed him.

We aren't moving backward in any way whatsoever if you step back and look at the reality of the situation. Most people in the USA are wealthy beyond measure in the eyes of the world. Most people in the USA have freedoms that are totally incomprehensible to other societies.

Do we still need to work every day toward making it better and more equitable? Absolutely, but it is only the far Right and far Left that portrays the USA in some dire state of distress teetering on the edge of disaster. They do this because they understand that to get extreme ideas accepted, they have to use fear and hate and division to keep people feeling scared and sorry for themselves.

How else could you possibly get normal intelligent people to gather together in a mob to attack the very House that protects their freedom and their prosperity?

Everyone that lives in the real world out here ignores this nonsense. Practical Centrists have driven us forward for decades, and they will keep driving us forward.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:04 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,453,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
No. ONLY black people, only people of African descent were historically considered to be "colored". Nobody else was colored. Native Americans were not colored, Chinese people were not colored, and Mexicans were NOT colored.

It was broadened to "people of color" in the 80s when they politically invented new minority groups.
Yep, and the inventions continue from the Left. They come up with groups that didn't even know they were groups! Divide and conquer is the Left's motto - at the expense of race relations and the country. They are disgusting.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:05 PM

4,592 posts, read 9,240,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
No. There was no NOTION that Spanish speakers were a minority group. Even in Texas, there was no concept of "hispanics". White people who speak Spanish used to be just that.

It wasn't a self-identity either. Mexicans, Cubans, and Puerto Ricans, never thought of themselves collectively in the 60s. They used to be unrelated nationality groups. And they were not minorities. Nearly all them identified as white.

No Mexican activist groups in the 70s were behind the whole scam. They concocted the concept.
But there was a Puerto Rican/Pan-Latino activtist group in the 1960s and 1970s, as I've mentioned, called the Young Lords.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Lords

Not to mention, gangs like the Latin Kings were started in the 1950s or 60s.

I guess Chicago and New York were different beasts from Texas of the 1960s and 1970s, as neighborhoods are according to ethnicity/race, and a Puerto Rican or Mexican couldn't just get by being openly white people.

You seem to imply the latino/hispanic just came into existence in a vacuum, and that regular people weren't self-identifying as such years before then. Just as today, most people don't think of Middle Easterners as just white and they are some within that group pushing for a separate MENA label from white/Caucasian on the census, people of Spanish-speaking countries were self-identifying as being something not quite white Hispanic/latino became a government-sponsored term.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:09 PM

6,978 posts, read 3,172,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
As an asian, I found it ridiculous to be labelled as "POC"...who the heck coined this stupid label for asians and others? Was it by some colorless/transparent aliens from the Venus?

I welcome all of you to join me to rip this stupid label and put it to rest before it gets spread in the media.
As an Asian I roll my eyes at all this nonsense. None of it gonna put food on the table or get my kids though school/life. All it would do is make people confrontational for no good reason and distract you from your own self betterment.

The only time I have any color is in the summer if I can get off my desk job long enough to get a tan,..lol.

I'm not stupid. Wuhan was the first epicenter of Covid. And most of the people attacking Asians this period are not white supremacists. It is what it is. Dancing around things is just insulting and doesn't sway me in the slightest.

I am glad they are upping police and whatnot, but they should do that anyways. Way more non-Asians are also victims to these crazy thugs the Mayor let's roam the streets. I kinda cringe when I see Asians getting this kind of attention, to be honest. Especially after seeing people shoved into Subways and MTA workers assaulted.

Because I know some right winger will be like,..ohh,..look,..Asians are snowflakng too,..but that's what the left wants , doesn't it. Just leave us out of your political Twilight Team Jacob/Edward drama.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:24 PM

39,504 posts, read 27,876,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
As an Asian I roll my eyes at all this nonsense. None of it gonna put food on the table or get my kids though school/life. All it would do is make people confrontational for no good reason and distract you from your own self betterment.

The only time I have any color is in the summer if I can get off my desk job long enough to get a tan,..lol.

I'm not stupid. Wuhan was the first epicenter of Covid. And most of the people attacking Asians this period are not white supremacists. It is what it is. Dancing around things is just insulting and doesn't sway me in the slightest.

I am glad they are upping police and whatnot, but they should do that anyways. Way more non-Asians are also victims to these crazy thugs the Mayor let's roam the streets. I kinda cringe when I see Asians getting this kind of attention, to be honest. Especially after seeing people shoved into Subways and MTA workers assaulted.

Because I know some right winger will be like,..ohh,..look,..Asians are snowflakng too,..but that's what the left wants , doesn't it. Just leave us out of your political Twilight Team Jacob/Edward drama.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:24 PM

31,391 posts, read 22,381,597 times
My current gf, Asian, who is Woke as you can be, loves the term. She acts like she has honorary black status using the term. She will also go out of here way to talk to black Vagrants and Pan Handlers on the street Yep, pretty Nutty.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:34 PM

39,504 posts, read 27,876,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
My current gf, Asian, who is Woke as you can be, loves the term. She acts like she has honorary black status using the term. She will also go out of here way to talk to black Vagrants and Pan Handlers on the street Yep, pretty Nutty.
lol

Old 04-26-2021, 12:37 PM

20,169 posts, read 9,686,052 times
IMO, the "POC" label was invented to pit non-whites against whites.

Sad.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:38 PM

36,939 posts, read 31,213,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Ok you're clearly not serious. Or so entrenched in partisan politics that you can have any sort of dialogue or conversation without putting people into "woke" vs "unwoke".
I never mentioned political affiliation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies