Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 01:20 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Fatality rates are one thing, but those who have long term chronic problems after recovery is another thing.
That may be the REAL HORROR of C-19. Millions upon millions who have reduced lung function and other organ damage, may be a drag upon the nation.
^^^THIS cannot be repeated often enough. About 34% of those who actually develop COVID become long-haulers - with chronic long-lasting debilitating effects. There are reports on other subforums on CD from people four-five months from hospital discharge - and some who were never hospitalized - still not breathing right, can't exercise b/c heart rate jumps immediately, brain fog, and all manner of other ailments. Not to mention countless news reports of long-haulers one year later still plagued with disabling ailments. When I read the word "recovered' in connection w/Covid, my first thought is "just wait."

Indeed, death is not the worst sentence. For me, being a long-hauler would be.

Interestingly, about 25% of those long-haulers are finding some mitigation of symptoms once vaccinated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 01:30 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,118,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

Interestingly, about 25% of those long-haulers are finding some mitigation of symptoms once vaccinated.
That is interesting. Source for it?

To me that indicates that these long covid symptoms are mostly psychological. The virus would be long gone out of their body, and if they are having these ailments, it would be do to either a)immune system still on overdrive b)damage to body.

Getting a vaccination does nothing for both. In fact, it stimulates your immune system further.

But, some people don't know much about vaccines do and can think it's a cure, so they feel better right away. Just like hypochondriacs can internalize what they read and feel worse.

Old 05-12-2021, 01:47 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
That is interesting. Source for it?

To me that indicates that these long covid symptoms are mostly psychological. The virus would be long gone out of their body, and if they are having these ailments, it would be do to either a)immune system still on overdrive b)damage to body.

Getting a vaccination does nothing for both. In fact, it stimulates your immune system further.

But, some people don't know much about vaccines do and can think it's a cure, so they feel better right away. Just like hypochondriacs can internalize what they read and feel worse.
You can choose to believe - or not - the many cases cited, here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/17/h...e-effects.html

Here are two:
Quote:
Bridget Hayward, 51, an operating room nurse in Alexandria, Va., said that after contracting Covid a year ago, her body ached from her hands to her hips and she became so brain-fogged that instead of asking for a scalpel, she would say “Give me that sharp thing we cut with.”

Almost daily, she would briefly pass out while bending down to fix a patient’s intravenous line or plug in the cord of a hospital bed.

After several months, her worst symptoms improved, but she still tired easily, felt hot even in cool weather, and found it too taxing to do some ordinary tasks, she said.

One day after her first dose of the Pfizer vaccine in late December, “it was like click, everything is fine,” she said. Her body temperature has normalized and “it felt like a darkness lifted.”

While “it’s not 100 percent every day,” she said she has so much energy now that “I’m not just getting from A to B, I’m like leaping up.”

Kim Leighton, 64, of Vancouver, Wash., has had a similar experience. She was hospitalized last March and had long Covid symptoms that included mini blackouts, shortness of breath, getting lost in her own neighborhood, depression and fatigue.

“It really has been hell,” she said.

When she started feeling better in late January, she didn’t even think to connect it to the vaccine, but later realized her stark improvement had started four days after receiving her first Moderna shot. She is delighted that she can now take walks in downtown Portland and has the desire to reconnect with friends.

Vaxxing doesn't work for everyone, but there are a few lucky ones it would appear.

Old 05-12-2021, 01:50 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,118,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
You can choose to believe - or not - the many cases cited, here:

Here are two:
I don't have problems believing it, just the root cause is more psychological than physical. Like I said for my friend, she complained about breathing problems but every lung screen revealed no damage. She was also a dramatic type, complaining about everything and anything.

If the vaccine is improving, we should ask for what mechanism (beyond psychological) it's clearing their symptoms.

Old 05-12-2021, 12:03 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
You are arguing science with MAGAs. Just a reminder not to get your expectations up.
True. I had low expectations to begin with, and they are actually lower now.

It's simply astounding to me the amount of anti-science is this thread.

You can't have an adult level conversation with people who can't admit their own ignorance of science, and who disregard sources with sound credentials over pseudo science and feelings.

This thread is a good example though of how to present an argument and back it up, compared to presenting one and not being able to back it up with credible sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies