Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 12:24 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Yep, but he's not spinning it, he lied about attending a "Get Your Knee Off Our Necks" march/protest. It doesn't matter the reason that he now claims he attended it for, he originally said he never attended anything of that nature.
You realize we're essentially in agreement, right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 12:41 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,985,580 times
I know the vetting process for these jurors takes a black eye because of this recent finding. I would be all in on a mistrial if this BLM juror hung the jury (prevented acquittal) but there are 11 other jurors that were on the same page with this BLM juror so good luck getting a retrial on those grounds.

Old 05-05-2021, 01:54 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,672,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
I know the vetting process for these jurors takes a black eye because of this recent finding. I would be all in on a mistrial if this BLM juror hung the jury (prevented acquittal) but there are 11 other jurors that were on the same page with this BLM juror so good luck getting a retrial on those grounds.
Yeah, 11 other woke idiots. I think he deserved the manslaughter conviction if anything, but murder, no.

I doubt he clocked in that day and thought, "Gee, how many black people am I going to murder today?"

Old 05-05-2021, 01:56 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
This is all on the defense. Jurors fill out questionnaires and then the lawyers have a chance to question each and everyone of them.

Chauvin's lawyers failed to ask a critical follow up question --- 'I see you did not atend the BLM marches in Minneapolis, did you attend other marches in other cities."

Clearly they failed their client. That doesn't give them grounds for a retrial.

Old 05-05-2021, 02:00 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That wasn't the question. You're really not helping this guy by trying to change the question retroactively to prove he was truthful.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021/...l-experts-say/

P.S. Question also doesn't mention BLM which you added.
It is true -- I shorted it to BLM.....And you are right -- I oversimplified the whole thing.

But in the end.....there is no evidence he lied. And you can't say I think he meant to lie. We have no clue, they have no clue.

I do think they should have asked the jurors if they had been to events where the Floyd family was featured as keynote speakers.

Old 05-05-2021, 02:17 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Yeah, 11 other woke idiots. I think he deserved the manslaughter conviction if anything, but murder, no.

I doubt he clocked in that day and thought, "Gee, how many black people am I going to murder today?"
There’s nothing to indicate race was a factor at all. It was never even mentioned at trial.

Old 05-05-2021, 03:07 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
This is all on the defense. Jurors fill out questionnaires and then the lawyers have a chance to question each and everyone of them.

Chauvin's lawyers failed to ask a critical follow up question --- 'I see you did not atend the BLM marches in Minneapolis, did you attend other marches in other cities."

Having a bad lawyer is grounds also.

Old 05-05-2021, 03:07 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,672,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
There’s nothing to indicate race was a factor at all. It was never even mentioned at trial.
Right and racism has not been mentioned in the last year especially. White guilt has been shoved down my throat since birth but NOTHING like now

Old 05-05-2021, 04:08 PM

23,634 posts, read 12,553,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

Basically, that question was asked, he lied and said no.

Old 05-05-2021, 06:10 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,928,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
You are right, race was not included as part of the defense or the prosecution's legal arguments.

On the Special Juror Questionnaire, potential jurors were asked to circle the choice that reflected their honest opinions on a scale from 1 (strongly agree) to 5 (strongly disagree):
  1. Discrimination is not as bad as the media makes it out to be.
  2. Blacks and other minorities do not receive equal treatment as whites in the criminal justice system.
  3. Police in this country treat whites and blacks equally.
  4. Police in my community make me feel safe.
  5. I support defunding the Minneapolis Police Department.
  6. Minneapolis police officers are more likely to respond with force when confronting black suspects than when dealing with white suspects.
  7. Because law enforcement officers have such dangerous jobs, it is not right to second guess decisions they make while on duty.
  8. The criminal just system is biased against racial and ethnic minorities.
  9. I do not trust the police.
  10. People today do not give our law enforcement officers the respect they deserve.
  11. Local police departments try to cover up excessive force rather than correct it.
  12. I think that news reports about police brutality against racial minorities is only the tip of the iceberg.

Using a similar scale, they were also asked, "How favorable or unfavorable are you about Blue Lives Matter?" where the choices ranged from Very Favorable to Very Unfavorable & they were asked to explain their choice.

It's worth noting that, at that time, the defendants were Derek Michael Chauvin, Tou Thao,
Thomas Kiernan Lane , & J. Alexander Kueng because, at that time, it was uncertain or unknown that Derek Chauvin would be tried separately from Tou Thao, Thomas Kiernan Lane, & J. Alexander Kueng.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies