Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2021, 09:13 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Just filled up at the local Costco - no closed pumps and no line.

Colonial Pipeline does not serve Michigan, so it stands to reason that your area would not be affected by this situation.

Old 05-11-2021, 09:15 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Someone voted for a pipeline to be shut down?

I don't recall seeing that on the ballot. Perhaps you could enlighten us all.
Biden made his antipathy toward an oil-based energy policy as clear as day. I don't know if he mentioned pipelines, specifically, but he certainly made it clear that he wanted to wean us off fossil fuels in favor of renewable energy sources.

Old 05-11-2021, 09:18 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,512,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Today, anyone would be thrilled to find gas for $2.79 ... or any price at all. Pumps are covered with yellow bags
Out of Gas

Biden thinks tanker trucks can haul gasoline, jet fuel & diesel across the Nation to “fix” the shortage.
Anyone want to try an visualize tanker trucks rolling a 100 Millions gallons a day to the East Coast? Pipelines go to Storage Tank farms that are pretty local. The trucks then carry the fuels to the final use points.

Better plan would have been to put a limit on gas sales at the pump immediately when they found out on Friday. Warn the public that there might be a temporary shortage an limit driving for the next few days.
No Panic, just common sense

I showed a complete lack of sense (common or not) for the White House to claim yesterday afternoon “no shortages” and then reverse that hours later and call an Emergency.

Too late for Panic Buying
I told my family members living on the East Coast to go NOW and fill their tanks .... that was Friday night.

By Monday, it’s either closed empty pumps OR long lines.
Rofl. This is what you told me on Saturday when I posted that I stocked up on fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Last time I checked a map , Austin, Texas was not on the Atlantic Coast OR in the New York area.
Stay calm.
What a difference a couple days can make.

Signed,

Proactive Gal in Texas

Old 05-11-2021, 09:20 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,395,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Targeting only large corporations to steal from and then giving that money to the "poor" is a leftist ideology. They're targeting capitalism. They claim to have a Robin Hood ideology, but that description is not accurate. Robin Hood, as the story goes, stole from an autocratic government and gave the money to the poor. These hackers are essentially anti-capitalists.

Don't pull a muscle reaching that far!

'We are apolitical, we do not participate in geopolitics,' the statement read. 'Our goal is to make money and not creating problems for society.'

Old 05-11-2021, 09:38 AM

20,872 posts, read 9,550,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
89 cent gas with President Trump last year in parts of America...
Yeah, because the economy was crashing due to COVID.

Old 05-11-2021, 09:41 AM

518 posts, read 449,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The Trump administration and the Republican legislature ignored the growing threat of cyber sabotage, especially with respect to Russian operatives, and now we suffer the consequences. We desperately need to harden our IT systems across the board. The US has so many neglected infrastructure problems from potholes to high tech pipelines. We have the right government in control now, and it is high time we act, with or without the GOP.
It's mindboggling how so many on the left PROJECT and never take responsibility for any of the problems in this country. As for Russian hackers being a major threat and the need to protect against the growing threat of cyber sabotage, they are a threat but certainly no bigger of a threat than Chinese hackers or Chinese backed hackers are. There have been credible threats and at least very strong circumstancial evidence of actual instances of "cyber sabotage" to our election systems leading up to and during the 2018 and 2020 elections yet ZERO actions or even acknowledgement of that threat from Democrats.

This latest cyber attack against a major U.S. oil pipeline is an example of what both Russian and Chinese hackers are capable of. On the one hand, the Biden administration can't go scorched earth against Russia (or China) in retaliating or responding to this or other attacks because both Russia and China are two of the largest nuclear armed countries in the world. On the other hand, there should be a stronger response than the current administration's pathetic response (to the resulting gas shortage crisis in the Eastern U.S.) than washing its hands of any responsibility for fixing the crisis by saying "it's a private sector matter", They insist that government be involved in practically every private sector matter yet when the private sector needs the federal government to perform its main duty...i.e. protecting Americans and American businesses from attacks from hostile foreign governments...the federal gov't wants to absolve itself from any responsibility and hang the private company out to dry.

Old 05-11-2021, 09:49 AM

10,181 posts, read 11,169,862 times
B1den is failing miserably.

Remember when He said he wanted to shut down pipelines? Well Mush brains got his wish.

Old 05-11-2021, 09:49 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
There is some historical evidence to suggest the market is manipulated. Just before long week ends, summer holidays we often see a spike in gas prices. Why? That gas was bought months before....but now that more customers will NEED it -- they hike up the price.
*shrug* lots of products have price movements driven by timing factors.

Sometimes prices go down due to this, sometimes up.

There could be additional costs attributed with increased production to meet that demand.

Or, they could just be behaving like pretty much every other business in the US and charging according to supply and demand.

I just find it *interesting* how since gas is so politicized by both parties how the oil companies end up holding the bag. .

I did the math a while back and showed that for a $3 gallon of gas in a typical state the oil company was making an after tax profit of something like 20 cents and the government taxes were around $1.50 (not just the explicit state + fed fuel taxes mind you but the income tax, import fees, property tax and so on and so forth.)

Old 05-11-2021, 09:55 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Colonial is a privately- held corporation. Koch Industries is the single largest shareholder.

The cyber ransom attack has been attributed to a gang in Russia.

Presumably Koch will be investing in increased cyber security unless Congress decides to throw federal money at it.
Investors don't run operations and they are not majority investors. You saw a political opportunity and jumped all over it.

The company running Colonial will decide what to do and that and penalties will come out of the shareholders future dividends and equity.

I mean seriously, it could easily have been some teachers union with the largest share of ownership and then we'd have the right wingers trying to make it about them.

Old 05-11-2021, 09:56 AM

17,670 posts, read 6,923,260 times
This never happened when Trump was President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies