Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 11:52 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,659,336 times

Advertisements

have kids or cry about it.. bwahahaha!!!

Old 05-18-2021, 11:58 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,227,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
have kids or cry about it.. bwahahaha!!!
It’s funny how so many feel so entitled to expect other folks to pay for the kids they can’t afford. Funny how a deadbeat mentality is so accepted, lol.

Old 05-18-2021, 12:24 PM

13,660 posts, read 9,727,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
The fear is the reality that hard working people are supporting people who do not want to work and the radical democrats what to make that group bigger and bigger.
The welfare-argument is compelling at the fringe, but my real concern is the splitting of the middle class.

Suppose that my buddy and I are both mid-level salesmen, or software engineers or some such thing, earning say $100K each, in the Midwest. I am single and without kids. My buddy is married and has 3 kids. His wife is a stay-at-home-mom. We both have a house, a newish car, and the various trappings of textbook prototypical American Heartland suburban life.

Nobody in this vignette is on welfare, or qualifies for Earned Income Credit or other schemes for supporting the indigent or the working-poor. Nowhere in this vignette are we talking about ramshackle tenements with multiple families to a room, or desperate people deciding whether to spend their last dollar on food or medicine. This isn’t a question of the comfortable offering succor to the afflicted. Both sides in this vignette are comfortable. But one side is substantially subsidizing the other. Why?

My buddy’s taxes are already vastly less than mine. Now said buddy is eligible for all sorts of credits, perhaps driving his federal income tax burden to nearly zero… and that’s with a $100K salary. Again: why?

What such policies do, is to split the middle-class. They split successful, career-oriented people who are making a decent living, who are trying to save money and to plan for the future, into two halves: those who get taxed for their lifestyle choices, and those who get subsidized. Why?

Old 05-18-2021, 12:39 PM
Status: "Do not pass GO, do not collect $300 (used to be $200)" (set 12 days ago)

600 posts, read 274,451 times
Ugh, maybe I should just have a kid so my tax money doesn't go to waste. I'm pessimistic about the market for partners in such an adventure, however.

Last edited by ElectronicOverlord; 05-18-2021 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: quick fixup

Old 05-18-2021, 12:43 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
It is clear many didn't realize that there was a child tax credit already in place.

Old 05-18-2021, 01:09 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,227,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
It is clear many didn't realize that there was a child tax credit already in place.
Another funny assumption.

Sure we do. This goes well beyond that, and if the entitlement party has their way they’ll continue to give it away indefinitely.

Old 05-18-2021, 01:36 PM
Status: "Do not pass GO, do not collect $300 (used to be $200)" (set 12 days ago)

600 posts, read 274,451 times
I was aware; actually I helped others figure it on their taxes some years back with VITA.

Old 05-18-2021, 01:36 PM

18,469 posts, read 8,292,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
What such policies do, is to split the middle-class. They split successful, career-oriented people who are making a decent living, who are trying to save money and to plan for the future, into two halves: those who get taxed for their lifestyle choices, and those who get subsidized. Why?
....you are 100% right

Old 05-18-2021, 02:41 PM

1,768 posts, read 568,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Nah, they deserve nothing. Nobody’s responsible for their self inflicted problems. Folks that don’t want kids simply need to pay more attention in health class and/or learn how babies are made and prevent pregnancy from happening.

Maybe they get 1 mulligan. After that, suck it up buttercup.
In a perfect world, people would behave responsibly 100% of the time and there would never be an unwanted pregnancy.

Here on Earth, that doesn't happen. And the baby - who didn't get a say in being created or birthed - can't eat "well you should have paid attention in health class!"

Old 05-18-2021, 02:42 PM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
I first became aware of how "the system" rewards single parents who don't have a full-time good-paying job when I became acquainted with someone who was a single mom of three children (ages 5, 6, and 7). Now, I didn't know her exact budget, but from what I gathered, if she had the same circumstances today and the "child credit" plan was as described in the OP, this is fairly close to what her budget would be:

Money earned from odd jobs: $1,000 (mainly babysitting)
SNAP benefits (4 in household): $680 https://www.cbpp.org/research/food-a...y-and-benefits
Income from Child Credit (described in OP link): $800

Total Monthly Income: $2,480

From that $2,480 income, her expenses would be about:

Section 8 Rent: $264 (30% of Adjusted Income, which is earned income minus $480 per child per year) https://howtogeton.wordpress.com/how...-on-section-8/
Groceries: $1,000
Utilities and Phone: $500
Car Expenses: $500
Medical Expenses: $0 (Medicaid paid)

Total Regular Monthly Expenses: $2,264

DISCRETIONARY AMOUNT: $216 (Clothes, gifts, recreation, salon appointments, etc.)

Plus, of course, there are many kinds of other freebies for low income families such as free school supplies, food banks, "adopt a family" Christmas charities, etc.

Now if this young woman were to have an additional child, she would get an additional $300 per month plus an extra $127 per month in SNAP benefits; and I do not think that another child costs an extra $427 per month IF one does not pay for child care and medical care, so that would just be more money added for "discretionary". Of course, I could be wrong about that!

So where is the incentive for someone like her to work full-time, and then be required to pay for her kids' medical expenses, all her groceries, and to actually pay all her rent? (And, of course, not being able to set her own schedule, be with the kids when she likes, etc.)

P.S. And for those who say "Well, what about all the tax breaks, etc. that millionaires receive -- well, I am JUST as upset (or even more upset!) about that! But just because that is wrong, imo, does not mean that enabling people who receive a LOT of taxpayer assistance to profit from that assistance is just as wrong, imo.

And for those who say that only about $50 a week for discretionary spending for a family of four is not very much -- well, maybe it isn't-- but remember that this would be for someone who actually earns only about $1,000 a month.

And, btw, if I have made some faulty conclusions, please correct and educate me. Thanks.

Last edited by katharsis; 05-18-2021 at 02:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies