Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2021, 10:51 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,174,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is how I see is. For everyone else, America is a clean slate. For Black Americans, we're the only people who came here under duress. We came against our will, and then went through 250+ years of oppression. We literally had to fight to be considered human, and then fight to be treated like citizens. This taints how I see America. For a Black middle class person like me, I have it better than many Black people in America. However, I also understand that I have deal with being looked down on, and I have to constantly consider how some people would perceive me as a Black person. And I know I have alot of baggage considering how my ancestors came here.

Because of what Black Americans have gone through from the moment they were brought here, it has a way of tainting one's view of America. I view things as "I succeed in spite of, not because of". I view it as "if I succeed, it's because I have a father to make sure I don't give up".
Wake up, the democrats put that baggage on you. They formed the KKK and Jim Crow laws.. plus today they are telling black people it is white people who have white privilege putting blacks down AGAIN. WAKE UP... the democrats don't even believe you are equal. They run with this critical race theory which is garbage. Do you think your black skin makes you less.. if you do, you have been listening to the democrats .

Get off this skin color curse the democrats put on you!! Listen to MLK about how we are to define one another and it has nothing to do with skin color, eye color, what race or back ground one has. It is the character that is what we are . We all know we look different. I am glad we don't all look the same. It would be boring. We have great differences . The democrats have been doing this for decades. Defining everyone by color, not character of who we are. We have gifts in each personality.

I see many successful black people. Many. They don't define themselves to be lessor.... if they do, they are hypocrites...they want to keep this race thing going. They are evil and they are the ones that define blacks as lessor and always put out this idea they can't achieve anything without the democrat party.

Old 05-26-2021, 10:59 AM

4,903 posts, read 3,363,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
What's wrong with the other 20%?
The other 20% didn't want to come off as insensitive/racist lol.

Old 05-26-2021, 11:00 AM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Insinuating that blacks need help is alarmingly racist since the most educated demographic in America continues to be African immigrants

Old 05-26-2021, 11:07 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy View Post
Interesting……America is the land of opportunity…..some people need a kick in the ARSE

Nearly 80% of white Republicans say America has done enough to help Black people

A new Axios-Ipsos poll has revealed that White Republicans believe enough has been done for Black Americans in the fight against racism. The results come in just one year after the death of George Floyd, reported by Mediaite.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nearly-80...214200545.html
Not just white folks, but folks like Candace Owens and Thomas Sewell probably agree.

Old 05-26-2021, 11:13 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
If we have have laws making racial discrimination illegal, and equal opportunity laws, etc... and these laws are enforced, what else do we need to do?
The problem is with the bolded. Many Black people are able to succeed in America today to unprecedented levels. America has truly come a long way.

But many... very many, still suffer illegal discrimination including, but not limited to, worse loan approval rates for starting small businesses and buying property, worse APR if they are approved, employment discrimination often based merely on having a "Black name" or hairstyle, educational discrimination, and disproportionate treatment in the law enforcement and justice system.

20% of Republicans recognize these facts. 80% are either misinformed about the continued existence of this, or simply just don't care.

Old 05-26-2021, 11:16 AM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The problem is with the bolded. Many Black people are able to succeed in America today to unprecedented levels. America has truly come a long way.

But many... very many, still suffer illegal discrimination including, but not limited to, worse loan approval rates for starting small businesses and buying property, worse APR if they are approved, employment discrimination often based merely on having a "Black name" or hairstyle, educational discrimination, and disproportionate treatment in the law enforcement and justice system.
1. Fix your credit
2. Change the name your parents gave you
3. Get an education
4. Don’t commit crime

That’s not discrimination, that’s assimilation and African immigrants do it every single day.

Blacks are not permanent victims.

Old 05-26-2021, 11:22 AM

1,162 posts, read 456,788 times
I'm perfectly fine with some form of reparations

Just do it and get it over with so it's not a talking point anymore

Old 05-26-2021, 11:25 AM

1,162 posts, read 456,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
You must be very young. The 60s were NOT a long time ago when it comes to generational wealth. There are a great many people alive today who suffered from red lining. Keeping blacks out of suburbs and building highways through black neighborhoods and dividing them still affect them today. Haven't you ever driven though inner city black neighborhoods? Ever wonder about them? Red lining isn't legal today, but predatory lending is a problem. 50 years isn't much time to correct this.
Both sides here have good points.

60s wasn't that long ago in the grand scheme, and I'm perfectly fine with helping blacks.

Yet there also needs to be a point where blacks need to help themselves as well. They can be their own worst enemy

Old 05-26-2021, 11:27 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,061,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Reparations, now is the time..............THAT bold move will level
the playing-field.
If you are not black nothing is stopping you from opening up your checkbook.

Old 05-26-2021, 11:28 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,164,931 times
One of my favorite quotes is "If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime." - Mathew 4:19.

I think many of the frustrations that 80% of Americans experience can be tied to this quote. Most of us are more than happy to help fund programs that help pull ANY given subset of folks out of poverty. What we aren't on board with is providing subsidies in which the subset merely holds out their hands and doesn't have any long range plans to stand on their own two feet and prosper.

We live in a life now where we can all hear the drum beat of equality louder than anytime in history. Now is a great time for ANYBODY in America to succeed. At some point in time, the subset of humans needs to look in the mirror and come up with a plan to better themselves instead of relying on governments or other people for help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies