Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2021, 11:29 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is how I see is. For everyone else, America is a clean slate. For Black Americans, we're the only people who came here under duress. We came against our will, and then went through 250+ years of oppression. We literally had to fight to be considered human, and then fight to be treated like citizens. This taints how I see America. For a Black middle class person like me, I have it better than many Black people in America. However, I also understand that I have deal with being looked down on, and I have to constantly consider how some people would perceive me as a Black person. And I know I have alot of baggage considering how my ancestors came here.

Because of what Black Americans have gone through from the moment they were brought here, it has a way of tainting one's view of America. I view things as "I succeed in spite of, not because of". I view it as "if I succeed, it's because I have a father to make sure I don't give up".
The problem is, two hundred years from now, people looking for a way to feel like a victim, can make the same argument. White kids born today have no responsibility to feel guilt for what long dead people did around the world. 250+ years ago, slavery and forced servitude was the way of the entire world. Every continent had high born, low born, slave, serfs and rulers. When this nation was founded, slavery was just the way of life all across the world. It took only a couple generations and the US abolished slavery. To try and taint the people alive today, for what the world engaged in centuries ago, is unjust.

As someone above me posted, it was the DEMOCRATS who prolonged slavery and racial injustice / discrimination, by putting the preservation of slavery into their official Party platform. Even Democrat appointed justices on the SCOTUS allowed Jim Crow era laws to remain in place. We the people had to pass the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments, the CRA and Voting Rights Act, all the while, we were actively opposed by Democrats. Fast forward to today, and it's Democrats pushing racist policies, such as critical race theory and the 1619 project.

Old 05-26-2021, 11:36 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Reparations, now is the time..............THAT bold move will level the playing-field.
No it won't, because the next generation of blacks raised as perpetual victims will not have gotten their stack of cash, and they will demand their own reparations.

I just don't get it, it was the Democrats who caused so much hardship for blacks, with everything from prolonging slavery, to black codes, to whites only drinking fountains and forcing blacks to sit at the back of the bus. If any one group which still exists today, that discriminated against blacks and caused them pain and anguish, and owes blacks reparations, it's the freaking Democratic Party. And yet, so many blacks stupidly belong to the Party of slavery and Jim Crow.

Old 05-26-2021, 11:47 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,665,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is how I see is. For everyone else, America is a clean slate. For Black Americans, we're the only people who came here under duress. We came against our will, and then went through 250+ years of oppression. We literally had to fight to be considered human, and then fight to be treated like citizens. This taints how I see America. For a Black middle class person like me, I have it better than many Black people in America. However, I also understand that I have deal with being looked down on, and I have to constantly consider how some people would perceive me as a Black person. And I know I have alot of baggage considering how my ancestors came here.

Because of what Black Americans have gone through from the moment they were brought here, it has a way of tainting one's view of America. I view things as "I succeed in spite of, not because of". I view it as "if I succeed, it's because I have a father to make sure I don't give up".

So it will forever be out of balance? I mean we can't change history, so there will never be a balance here??

Are you sure that its a clean slate for every American??? Are Black American's the only race with an axe to grind?

The way I see it. The Victim card has an expiration date. Many have already turned theirs in and they are better off for it.... Just the way I see it!

Old 05-26-2021, 11:50 AM

8,245 posts, read 3,499,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach13. View Post
Immigrants, in general, tend to outperform their American-born peers, not just Black Americans. This is mostly attributed to the fact that the US immigration process tends to weed out underachievers/undesirables in favor of those who are overachievers/desirable. So what happens is you get an immigrant from Africa or Asia or Europe, who essentially run circles around their American-born citizens.

Black Americans aren't the only ones being "leapfrog" over. White, Asian, and Hispanic Americans who were born here are also being outperformed by immigrants.
It takes the ultimate go getter to relocate to another country. Of course someone brave enough to do that can accomplish things. It's a special mentality that most people don't have.

Old 05-26-2021, 11:51 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,164,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
So it will forever be out of balance? I mean we can't change history, so there will never be a balance here??

Are you sure that its a clean slate for every American??? Are Black American's the only race with an axe to grind?

The way I see it. The Victim card has an expiration date. Many have already turned theirs in and they are better off for it.... Just the way I see it!

Exactly! My wife and I often order Door Dash meals here in Seattle. I'd say 70% of the time our food is delivered by young African men who are new to America (usually from Ethiopia) delivering our meals. I don't see them with their hands out. They wake up and are eager to work for a living.

Old 05-26-2021, 11:54 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,835,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
You must be very young. The 60s were NOT a long time ago when it comes to generational wealth. There are a great many people alive today who suffered from red lining. Keeping blacks out of suburbs and building highways through black neighborhoods and dividing them still affect them today. Haven't you ever driven though inner city black neighborhoods? Ever wonder about them? Red lining isn't legal today, but predatory lending is a problem. 50 years isn't much time to correct this.
I have seen this complaint mentioned repeatedly and have to ask: Do you think white or Asian neighborhoods never had highways built through them? Of course they did and it continues today. We just don't view it through the lens of "racism".

How is a black neighborhood with a highway through it even a bad thing? Black people use them too. Highways crisscross the country in all kinds of neighborhoods. My former neighborhood in California had a freeway built through it 15 years after my house was built. Should I have complained of racism? My only actual concern was noise but like my neighbors I knew that it would make our lives easier and I used that freeway for many years.

My current neighborhood in Maui has a highway right through the middle of it. So what! Highways/freeways expedite travel for everyone so reasonable people accept them as a necessity.

To me, this is an example of fake outrage by people who seem to be searching for reasons to be angry.

Old 05-26-2021, 12:05 PM

1,162 posts, read 456,788 times
I'm shocked 100 percent of white dems don't want Jim Crow back

Old 05-26-2021, 12:06 PM

21,952 posts, read 9,517,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
If we have have laws making racial discrimination illegal, and equal opportunity laws, etc... and these laws are enforced, what else do we need to do? Or do people think we can somehow end all racism, bigotry, prejudism?
I keep telling you. They are NOT going to be happy until you give them a big, fat check. THAT'S what they want. They care about any of the rest of it.

Old 05-26-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Reparations, now is the time..............THAT bold move will level
the playing-field.
As I said...only a check.

Old 05-26-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumerian_Summer View Post
Ooohhh riiiiiiight, just keep throwing money at them until they eventually become successful & peaceful model citizens, like Asians.
In extortion, once you make the pay out, they ask for more. I see little difference here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies