Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 01:08 PM

424 posts, read 175,964 times

Advertisements

One of my best friends is a conservative. We agree to disagree on many topics. I will say that she confided that she didn't vote for Trump (or Biden) in the last election, but that was after the fact that she told me. I didn't care who she voted for and wouldn't have asked. I had a Biden sticker on my car, so she knew who I was voting for but we never discussed it.

I have a mix of friends; politics really doesn't play into it at all.

I suspect that these videos are not scientifically sound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2021, 01:11 PM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelized Onion View Post
One of my best friends is a conservative. We agree to disagree on many topics. I will say that she confided that she didn't vote for Trump (or Biden) in the last election, but that was after the fact that she told me. I didn't care who she voted for and wouldn't have asked. I had a Biden sticker on my car, so she knew who I was voting for but we never discussed it.

I have a mix of friends; politics really doesn't play into it at all.

I suspect that these videos are not scientifically sound.
Real life experiences certainly are though.

Old 06-07-2021, 01:13 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,579,381 times
Yeah, gee I know when I get together with my friends for a few drinks the first thing we love to talk about is politics. I have friends across the spectrum and haven't lost a single one over politics. If you are willing to lose a friendship over that nonsense, then likely that person wasn't a very good friend to begin with.

Old 06-07-2021, 01:17 PM

7,826 posts, read 2,730,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
It goes both ways. I've lost friends, and also been shunned out of business dealings for answering honestly about my feelings on some political issues (usually Trump, his base is extremely loyal).

For me, I've not lost any friends, but I have muted people on BOTH SIDES of the political spectrum on Social Media, if they are rude, intollerent, or hostile. I am more accepting of those behaviors here, because it is a forum based on controversy, so I expect it. I don't tollerate that on my social media feeds, and I've muted people on both sides for it. (Social media, for me, is not intended to be that platform.)

I don't think it's accurate to say "Liberals are so intolerant", it goes both ways.
True....you need to factor in personality types in this equation. I am fortunate to have kept friends and family that I am close too but have opposing views. We just simply don't discuss it, there are plenty of other things to relate on.

Old 06-07-2021, 01:19 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Real life experiences certainly are though.
They may be "sound" but they are not statistically significant.

Either one of us can go out and find 100 people to say whatever point we want to prove. In a country of 340 Million (approx), it's nothing more than noise.

Most issues are positioned as Binary, it's either Red or Blue. In reality, there are multiple factors and variables that affect any issue. Politician and Right/Left media exploit this fact.

Oddly, one person whom I value a lot is Joe Rogan, staunch right-leaning libertarian. But I love listening to him, because I know that he comes to his opinion (usually) from a place of knowledge. For me, he's someone who I want to know WHY he disagrees with me, because it's more relevant to me, than someone who is 100% loyal, without any care for the facts.

The person I value the most, is the one who has strong opinions about everything, but I still can't predict what they do in the voting booth. THAT person is someone I want to listen to.

Old 06-07-2021, 01:19 PM

1,768 posts, read 568,483 times
I can't imagine being close friends with someone who not only doesn't share my values, but actively works against them.

I'm sure there are work or other situational acquaintances who have different political or moral beliefs that I do; those relationship are transactional and our personal beliefs don't have an impact on them.

Old 06-07-2021, 01:54 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I think it is only natural. Democrats are open minded about diversity, education, healthcare, criminal justice reform, racism, and all other social issues that need to be addressed.
Why would they have anything in common with people who would gaslight them on these human right issues? They dont even believe in human rights.
Repubs will be open to friendship because they have simply lost so many friends.
Are you being sarcastic? Democrats are open-minded - and thus they don’t want anything to do with people who see things differently? Nice way of justifying intolerance.

But it’s nothing new. I remember decades ago, there was a survey asking Dems if they would be willing to date Republicans, and the reverse. Virtually all Republicans (maybe 95%) were open to dating Dems, but less than half of Dems would date a Republican.

So, Dems have always been more close-minded.

Old 06-07-2021, 02:31 PM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
They may be "sound" but they are not statistically significant.

Either one of us can go out and find 100 people to say whatever point we want to prove. In a country of 340 Million (approx), it's nothing more than noise.

Most issues are positioned as Binary, it's either Red or Blue. In reality, there are multiple factors and variables that affect any issue. Politician and Right/Left media exploit this fact.

Oddly, one person whom I value a lot is Joe Rogan, staunch right-leaning libertarian. But I love listening to him, because I know that he comes to his opinion (usually) from a place of knowledge. For me, he's someone who I want to know WHY he disagrees with me, because it's more relevant to me, than someone who is 100% loyal, without any care for the facts.

The person I value the most, is the one who has strong opinions about everything, but I still can't predict what they do in the voting booth. THAT person is someone I want to listen to.
The Democrats have displayed nation wide how intolerant they are of an opposing view. It's not just 100 people. When it permeates your personal relationships with them to then there is no denying it!

You may like listening to liberals with strong opinions and as long as you don't cross them then you'll be ok but otherwise it won't be. On the other hand they don't want to hear any strong conservative opinions or it will get nasty.

Old 06-07-2021, 02:54 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The Democrats have displayed nation wide how intolerant they are of an opposing view. It's not just 100 people. When it permeates your personal relationships with them to then there is no denying it!

You may like listening to liberals with strong opinions and as long as you don't cross them then you'll be ok but otherwise it won't be. On the other hand they don't want to hear any strong conservative opinions or it will get nasty.
That was my experience with a member of my family, who spoke with extreme disdain for Trump (knowing I voted for him). As long as I let her go on unchallenged, she “allowed” me into her sphere. But when she made a completely false claim, and I nicely* refuted it with examples, she became infuriated that I didn’t just accept her view as fact. After that, she stopped returning my calls, and we haven’t spoke in six months.

*someone else was with us, and I later asked if I handled it well. She said she was impressed with how calmly I explained my position.

Old 06-07-2021, 06:31 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,401,046 times
Excellent post and it really shows the difference between as described by average people. Most of the left shut it down without tolerance, and most of the Republicans answered with calm insight.

The question was asked on CD a while ago if we wanted a sub forum for the left only and one for the right only, many on the left said yes and many on the right said no which shows the left want a guarded echo chamber where they are safe to be without any cross examination or debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies