Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 05:19 AM

13,607 posts, read 4,937,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
I’m sure they didn’t cherry pick at all. Very scientific
Exactly. Consider the source: Prager University. Self-description: “the world’s leading conservative nonprofit that is focused on changing minds through the creative use of digital media”.

Creative, indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2021, 05:20 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Both of you are overexaggerating.

CNN+MSNBC+Fox+CBS Nightly News+ NBC +ABC get a whopping 25 million viewers every night. Even if you did assume only liberals watched all of those and that they are unique views, thats about 1/4 of the voting Democratic population.

Also, Trump stopping planes from China was national news.
Would you PLEASE stop saying overexaggerating? One either exaggerates, or one does not.

And are you calling us liars when we speak freely about Democrat friends who are woefully misinformed?

Finally, take FOX out of the equation. They do not fall in line with the liberal media, and thus Democrats refuse to watch them. That’s why they miss key news.

Old 06-08-2021, 05:27 AM

13,607 posts, read 4,937,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Where I live, it's solid blue. Thus we have friends who are libs. We have nice conversations as long as politics are avoided. There is one man who always brings politics up and it often ruins an otherwise good time. He has tried to get us to either agree or disagree with him. Instead, we just listen to him ramble on and we say nothing in return. It's a shame. His wife never brings up politics, so we enjoy talking with her.

However, I've found out that they solely rely on the MSM for their news. When Trump was in office and the caravans were trying to get into the US, they were surprised when I told them that Mexico had offered all the "migrants" asylum and would settle them in Chiapas. Not only had they not heard this but they didn't know where Chiapas was.

I also have a branch of the family that are all liberals. We see them from time to time and have a good visit. Thankfully, they don't bring up politics. I think they just assume we're all on the same page.

Another branch has a mix of liberals and conservatives. I saw on FB that one cousin supported Bernie. When I casually mentioned that to her brother, he was horrified. He's a conservative. I remembered thinking to myself "Oops! Hope I didn't start a family war!" Yet, in the end, all was fine.
Sounds like your family has learned what people have said for years: in polite company, avoid talk of politics or religion.

Old 06-08-2021, 05:44 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I have found that if you hit them with the facts no matter how nicely you do it they go ballistic!
If you hit me with facts you can back up, I'm all ears, and want to learn, as I mentioned in the post you quoted above about Joe Rogan (just an example people could relate to).

But if you hit me with "facts", like the ones BentBow shared, where he claims Biden is banned from the Pentagon, and Trump is there weekly, meeting with Generals, and still leading our country, I won't go ballistic, but I will discredit you in a heartbeat.

I think that's where a lot of Trump loyalists get misled. They accept things as fact, and they sincerely believe it, so when someone doesn't listen to those "facts", they get insulted and their feelings hurt with they are soundly rejected.

Look at issues like Trumps unproven claims that the election was stollen.
Look at his multiple broken promises.
Look at his handling of Fauci, and his flip-flopping on if he supports him or not
Look at how many people he called the best, until they crossed him, and they were suddenly the worst.

At some point, those claims become non-credible. Trump did some good things, and he was right sometimes, I acknowledge that. And I certainly acknowledge that Biden is not the savior, or the do-all, be-all for America. But if you come at me with obviously fake facts, and fail to prove it, then expect to be called out on it.

Regarding Trump and Fauci, you should look up the Joe Rogan segement where he discussed it, it was within the last week or two. Joe was all about "look at how much Fauci lied, it is really bad....". The discussion in 15 minutes or less proved that Fauci was not as bad as he hoped, Trump was responsible for a lot of his own opposition, and in the end, Joe listened, and you could see he changed his tune. He learned. That is how I try to act, and why I come here sometimes. Unfortunately, some of the crazies (like people who still think Trump is running the country) detract from that value.

Actually, here is the JRE link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3nX5yJTm_4

My goal here is not to convince you that Fauci is a saint. Just to show an example of someone who will actually LISTEN, and be open to a different POV. If anything, Joe is an excellent listener, and has been complemented on that by many. Even when I don't agree with him, I respect him, and how he handles himself. If less R's and D's would (as you say) go ballistic, and instead listen, we'd all be better off.

Old 06-08-2021, 05:47 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Would you PLEASE stop saying overexaggerating? One either exaggerates, or one does not.
naw, the dictionary says I can use either one, and it specifically defines exaggeration as just stretching the truth, where as overexaggeration means, its a blatant lie. So Overexaggeration does indeed fit better here, LOL.

Quote:
And are you calling us liars when we speak freely about Democrat friends who are woefully misinformed?
Uninformed =/= misinformed.

misinformed argues someone was lied to. Where as uninformed seems to fit your description more. But I would also have to believe that conversation happened.

Quote:
Finally, take FOX out of the equation. They do not fall in line with the liberal media, and thus Democrats refuse to watch them. That’s why they miss key news.

the point went over your head. No one watches any of these networks in the grand scheme of things. If Conservatives only watched fox, that would still mean only 4 or so million of you do, the other 69 million just pretend. Thats your logic, not mine.

Old 06-08-2021, 05:51 AM

15,979 posts, read 7,039,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
If you hit me with facts you can back up, I'm all ears, and want to learn, as I mentioned in the post you quoted above about Joe Rogan (just an example people could relate to).

But if you hit me with "facts", like the ones BentBow shared, where he claims Biden is banned from the Pentagon, and Trump is there weekly, meeting with Generals, and still leading our country, I won't go ballistic, but I will discredit you in a heartbeat.

I think that's where a lot of Trump loyalists get misled. They accept things as fact, and they sincerely believe it, so when someone doesn't listen to those "facts", they get insulted and their feelings hurt with they are soundly rejected.

Look at his handling of Fauci, and his flip-flopping on if he supports him or not
Look at how many people he called the best, until they crossed him, and they were suddenly the worst.

At some point, those claims become non-credible. Trump did some good things, and he was right sometimes, I acknowledge that. And I certainly acknowledge that Biden is not the savior, or the do-all, be-all for America. But if you come at me with obviously fake facts, and fail to prove it, then expect to be called out on it.

Regarding Trump and Fauci, you should look up the Joe Rogan segement where he discussed it, it was within the last week or two. Joe was all about "look at how much Fauci lied, it is really bad....". The discussion in 15 minutes or less proved that Fauci was not as bad as he hoped, Trump was responsible for a lot of his own opposition, and in the end, Joe listened, and you could see he changed his tune. He learned. That is how I try to act, and why I come here sometimes. Unfortunately, some of the crazies (like people who still think Trump is running the country) detract from that value.

My goal here is not to convince you that Fauci is a saint. Just to show an example of someone who will actually LISTEN, and be open to a different POV. If anything, Joe is an excellent listener, and has been complemented on that by many. Even when I don't agree with him, I respect him, and how he handles himself. If less R's and D's would (as you say) go ballistic, and instead listen, we'd all be better off.
Nice to hope. The Repubs have gone so deep into the koolaid they are swimming in it. There is no rescue until a new generation comes up. How can one argue or even have a sensible conversation with people who live in an alternate reality? We dont even speak the same language.

Old 06-08-2021, 05:53 AM

17,807 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
True....you need to factor in personality types in this equation.
Yep. It's funny because some of the most obnoxious and whiny of the conservative posters are INSISTING that libs are the intolerant ones. They can't see that they are nothing but the flip side of the obnoxious lib coin.

And what is really funny is the "this person won't talk to me anymore and that person won't talk to me anymore". Being unable to understand the true dynamics of those types of interactions is a hallmark of the "true believer".

Old 06-08-2021, 05:54 AM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

Not every conservative spouts "real" facts anymore than a lib does. However, I was speaking of myself personally. I research things before I make statements as fact and anytime that I have done this with a liberal they do go ballistic!

I quote you below.....

None of what you claimed above is the truth or you are putting your own spin on it, leaving out details and explanations. The above is NOT the "real" truth and is the typical mantra of a leftist liberal.

Old 06-08-2021, 05:55 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
1) of course I have black friends. I make no distinction as to friends based on skin tone. I go by values and personality.
No, because regardless of politics, if you had a black friend who knew your views, they would have sat you down and had a heart to heart on this subject.

Quote:
2) there is no party platform of racism, at least on the Republican side. We do see it on the Democrat side.
I said homophobia, this is exactly why I split up my post, so you can know exactly what im responding to, and somehow you still screwed up.

Quote:
3) where did I ever say I want to be homophobe or racist?
You stated the possibility of being seen as such based on what comes out of your mouth.

Quote:
Your arrogant, attacking post shows why people like me don’t want to risk speakly freely in front of people like you. In your contempt for people who don’t submit to the liberal narrsrive, you twist things around to accuse them of racism, homophobia, etc.
LOL, we have barely had a surface level conversation. I havent accused you specifically of being anything. You responded to me and purposefully played obtuse in those responses.

If you cant have an honest conversation with a stranger over the internet about surface level arguments like what All lives matters means, then im 100% sure you dont bring these subjects up in front of black friends.

Old 06-08-2021, 05:57 AM

15,979 posts, read 7,039,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

And what is really funny is the "this person won't talk to me anymore and that person won't talk to me anymore". Being unable to understand the true dynamics of those types of interactions is a hallmark of the "true believer".
How many Democrats/liberals feel the loss of of conservative/MAGA “friends”? My guess is good riddance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies