Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sprawl
Should be made VERY expensive 28 39.44%
People should be allowed to live wherevr they want, no matter what 38 53.52%
Not sure 5 7.04%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 11:45 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Electric cars will not solve our problems, a power plant still has to burn coal to provide the required electricity.
Here in the West - our electricty primarily comes from Hydro-Electric, Nuclear and soon, Solar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 11:45 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If sprawl is inevitable how come Europe is so free of it? When i visited Germany the farms started at the last house in town and I did not see, other than few isolated farmhouses, any suburbia at all.

I think we could reduce the energy cost of sprawl with adoption of many smaller plug-in hybrid autos and more extensive mass transit using buses, little trains or full size rail.
People in Germany tend to live in mid-rise apt. buildings built right up to the sidewalk with virutally no green space around them at all. I wouldn't be crazy about living like that. I like my yard and garden.

Plug-in hybrids use electricity that has to be generated somewhere. I don't even want to get into mass transit right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
as much as I despise sprawl isn't it expensive already? You buy a house in the suburbs but what you pay for in a house doesn't the cost of having to drive everywhere cut into your budget and savings? Seriously I don't get people who drive 30, 40 or even 50+ miles to work then spend another 10 to 20 miles during errands after work. I live in a new urbanist community where all of my needs are met within a 3 mile radius from home except for governmental things ( court, hospitals, etc) or trips outside the city.

As for zoning some regulation is needed. Who would want to live next door to a chemical plant just because zoning is non existant?
Where do people get the idea that everyone in the burbs drives 30-50 miles to work every day? Many people work in their own burb or a nearby one. Most burbs function like new urbanist areas in that they have little shopping areas that provide most of their needs, e.g. groceries, dry cleaning, Target-type stores, etc.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:57 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
It is none of my business what others do and how others live unless it directly impacts me.

I do not believe in zoning,regulating or restricting what others can do with their property.

I am in the distinct minority....most people LIVE to tell others what to do....
So what if someone owning some vacant lots in the nearest street from your backyard wants to put up a 5 story apartment building and in doing so will block the view of downtown on the horizon from your backyard. And a realtor thinks the apartment will cause the value of your home to go down at least 20% because a number of prospective buyers will be turned off to the idea of buying your home when they see a huge apartment complex almost in your backyard. They may be concerned about issues such as noise, bright lighting and the ability of the upper floor residents to peer into your backyard.

Under such circumstances then, do you think some governmental body should tell the land owner he can't build an apartment complex on his property? IF your answer is yes it goes to show the need for zoning laws.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:03 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So what if someone owning some vacant lots in the nearest street from your backyard wants to put up a 5 story apartment building and in doing so will block the view of downtown on the horizon from your backyard. And a realtor thinks the apartment will cause the value of your home to go down at least 20% because a number of prospective buyers will be turned off to the idea of buying your home when they see a huge apartment complex almost in your backyard. They may be concerned about issues such as noise, bright lighting and the ability of the upper floor residents to peer into your backyard.

Under such circumstances, then do you think some governmental body should tell the land owner he can't build an apartment complex on his property? IF your answer is yes it goes to show the need for zoning laws.
What you have described is Houston, Texas. Individuals may be able to do exactly what you suggested.

Yet, 3 times, the issue on enacting a zoning law was put before the voters and 3 times, the zoning proposition was rejected by a very wide margin!

Old 05-12-2008, 12:07 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
As an American, i love my freedoms.
Freedom only matters if your desires are obstructed. If a law you support is enacted, then it's not an infringement of your freedom. So this is really irrelevant to your opinion on the subject.

Quote:
But, like many of us, we give up certain freedoms for the good of the whole, and most of us do so willingly.
Liberty requires that we only give up as much as absolutely necessary for the stability of government and the maintenance of natural liberty. Beyond that, one group oppresses another.

Your question would be more accurately phrased "should we oppress people to advance our agenda?"

Quote:
Should we now do so when it comes to housing? Should we encourage and subsidize density and discourage and make sprawl VERY costly?
National environmental regulation to preserve future generations the ability to reclaim land, yes. However, limitations on sprawl should be left to states to decide. Farmers have been pulling rocks and stumps out of furrows for years. Pulling vinyl siding out of a field after a neighborhood has been reclaimed is no different.

Lastly, your poll is based on a false premiss: The only choice regarding sprawl is to penalize it financially or ignore it. There are more ways to curb behavior than to infringe on property (money) rights.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:07 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
As for zoning some regulation is needed. Who would want to live next door to a chemical plant just because zoning is non existant?
About 5.5 million people in the Houston metro area do... and it's one of the fastest growing large cities in America.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:25 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post

Under such circumstances then, do you think some governmental body should tell the land owner he can't build an apartment complex on his property? IF your answer is yes it goes to show the need for zoning laws.
Unless you won the land you live with what others do...

In fact we DO live with it right now.

We live in what passes for rural here in our area.
When we bought there were trees all behind us although we knew there were homes back there(trailers to be exact but couldn't be seen except in winter).
About a year or so ago in came a backhoe and out went all the trees, followed closely by some more trailers.

The one nearest to us is most likely in violation of our county codes as it is quite close to th eproperty line and there are also now empty and derelict trailers back there too.

A Realtor friend suggested we anonymously call zoning enforcement on them but we have not,instead we put up a privacy fence.

You see, in a society based upon personal freedom you do not get to dictate to your neighbor what he can do on HIS property.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:42 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If sprawl is inevitable how come Europe is so free of it? When i visited Germany the farms started at the last house in town and I did not see, other than few isolated farmhouses, any suburbia at all.

I think we could reduce the energy cost of sprawl with adoption of many smaller plug-in hybrid autos and more extensive mass transit using buses, little trains or full size rail.
Europe has tons of sprawl. Trying coming into Paris or Rome by train. It never ends...

Old 05-12-2008, 01:44 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,463,360 times
so far, most people are only talking about the individual and their rights

does society as a whole have a right?

Old 05-12-2008, 01:52 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
so far, most people are only talking about the individual and their rights

does society as a whole have a right?
A right? No. Obligation? Yes. Society has the obligation to set up a system that refrains from oppression and maintains stability for future generations.

When you start talking about rights as a society beyond those things, you have to be able to answer the question "How many beneficiaries must there be from one slave's labor to make slavery moral?" The reason we need to answer that is because we know, just like Social Security has gone all wrong, that government does not do maintenance well. Democracy puts out fires but nothing else. So, people will be unnecessarily oppressed at some point. The question has to be answered "How much benefit must we get for that unlucky people's oppression?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies