Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sprawl
Should be made VERY expensive 28 39.44%
People should be allowed to live wherevr they want, no matter what 38 53.52%
Not sure 5 7.04%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 01:54 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times

Advertisements

Greater London covers 609 square miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
so far, most people are only talking about the individual and their rights

does society as a whole have a right?
No.

Individuals have rights.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:01 PM

An interesting article that seems to address a lot of things being discussed...

Debunking Friday the 13th: 13 Myths of Urban Sprawl - by Wendell Cox - The Heartland Institute

Old 05-12-2008, 02:07 PM

55 posts, read 198,308 times
How can someone actually hate sprawl?

so you are angry because i dont want to live near anyone else? my desire for privacy pisses you off?

well boo hoo, too bad

Old 05-12-2008, 02:13 PM

Something interesting I found is european automobile use has grown at three times the U.S. rate since 1970 and use of mass transit is decreasing...

and here we were being told how european nations were so much better..

Old 05-12-2008, 02:32 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
When you start talking about rights as a society beyond those things, you have to be able to answer the question "How many beneficiaries must there be from one slave's labor to make slavery moral?"
If there are all these people benefitting from one slave's labor, why don't they do the honorable thing and PAY the guy?

The rest of the argument is hopeless. As soon as a society has as many as two people (think of a marriage, for example), there are obligations back and forth, not just between the individual members, but between the individual members and the society itself. How often have you heard someone say that they would like to have a strong, healthy marriage? I'm sure such people might say the same about their spouses as well, but what they are doing here is recognizing that the institution itself needs to be supported if in turn it is to well serve its members.

If you want to be a hermit, fine. Go off by yourself. No one will ask anything of you, and you won't need to ask anything of anyone else. If you want to live in a society and enjoy the benefits that society provides, you will owe an obligation to every other member of that society and to society itself. Those are pretty much your two choices.

Quote:
The reason we need to answer that is because we know, just like Social Security has gone all wrong, that government does not do maintenance well.
Bad exmaple. SS is solid into the second half of the century, and the adjustments needed to push the date further out are minor, even under pessimistic sets of assumptions.

Quote:
Democracy puts out fires but nothing else. So, people will be unnecessarily oppressed at some point. The question has to be answered "How much benefit must we get for that unlucky people's oppression?"
You may be trying to make the point that comparisons of interpersonal utility functions cannot be made, and that would be true in any quantitative state, but you seem more to be endorsing a Pareto type optimality, wherein everyone is made better off up until the point where any one person has to be made worse off in order to accomplish it. Such societies can tend to be rather unpleasant in terms of equity, and few people would actually choose to live in one that worked that way...

Old 05-12-2008, 02:40 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyr47 View Post
How can someone actually hate sprawl?

so you are angry because i dont want to live near anyone else? my desire for privacy pisses you off?

well boo hoo, too bad
I was getting this same impression from some. Last sign I saw it still said AMERICA !!!!!

I should have the right to enjoy, occupy, build on or enjoy the bounty that my land can produce. And I have the right to buy that property any damn place I desire so long as a willing seller offers it for sale.

It might only be a small piece of property but it is 4000 miles deep. Besides, most of us dont own property, the property owns us. Uhhh the bank said so. But we still control it. Isn't that awesome? The bank owns it but we control it.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:52 PM

955 posts, read 2,158,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
so far, most people are only talking about the individual and their rights

does society as a whole have a right?
It appears that you believe society has rights, but only if those rights are in agreement with your belief systems.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:16 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
What you have described is Houston, Texas. Individuals may be able to do exactly what you suggested.

Yet, 3 times, the issue on enacting a zoning law was put before the voters and 3 times, the zoning proposition was rejected by a very wide margin!
In my city it seems that anywhere is zoned something or the other ranging probably from agriculture on up to heavy commercial and industrial. Most of the squabbles over it have to do when a land owner wants to get his undeveloped land rezoned for a heavier use that may not fit in well with adjoining developed land, especially from the point of view of neighbors. Recently, my neighborhood was in a big uproar over the example I cited. Close to 40 of 50 of them went to a hearing before the city planning commission and got the proposed zoning change unanimously rejected, and suggested the developer get with the neighbors to work out a more suitable development. For those interested, the story is here: Stillwater NewsPress - Apartment complex loses vote

Old 05-12-2008, 03:24 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
If there are all these people benefitting from one slave's labor, why don't they do the honorable thing and PAY the guy?
Slaves were paid too. In fact, that was one of the arguments the Democrats used in favor of slavery: They're taken care of.

The thing about being American is that most of us prize freedom over money.

Quote:
The rest of the argument is hopeless.
To be quite honest with you, all I did was lay out the argument the founding fathers advanced... they had marriages back then too.

Quote:
If you want to be a hermit, fine. Go off by yourself. No one will ask anything of you, and you won't need to ask anything of anyone else. If you want to live in a society and enjoy the benefits that society provides, you will owe an obligation to every other member of that society and to society itself.
The funny thing is, that what I described has the effect of fulfilling any social obligation greater than what could be accomplished by trying to have the perceived obligation fulfilled directly. A man greater than myself called it "the invisible hand"... the invisible hand was so beneficial that our families desired to come to this country... and now you're arguing a perspective of the old Soviet Union... where people didn't so much like it there.

Quote:
Bad exmaple. SS is solid into the second half of the century, and the adjustments needed to push the date further out are minor, even under pessimistic sets of assumptions.
Really? You might want to check with the SS administration: 2004 Trustees Report - Little Change in Long Term Solvency of Social Security

By the looks of that, we have to raise that 15.65% tax somewhat higher to keep it going.

That's not even the good part. It doesn't mention Medicaid's coming demise-- that's the expensive part. Nor, have I mentioned that a kid entering the work force today, saving what he's donating and getting a very, very modest return would be able to draw around $5,000 a month when he retires instead of $1000 a month and have a million or so dollars to leave to his family.

Quote:
You may be trying to make the point that comparisons of interpersonal utility functions cannot be made, and that would be true in any quantitative state, but you seem more to be endorsing a Pareto type optimality, wherein everyone is made better off up until the point where any one person has to be made worse off in order to accomplish it. Such societies can tend to be rather unpleasant in terms of equity, and few people would actually choose to live in one that worked that way...
I don't know about it. I like to stick to Locke, de Tocqueville, Smith, etc... You know, philosophers who are in line with the founding of this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies