Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 05:29 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Also -- it could be on that day there were mask wearers ins that Walmart and you noticed it.

Maybe the next day you would go and nobody would be wearing a mask.

As I mentioned -- about a month ago went to Trader Joe's and saw most customers not wearing a mask, then went to Publix and most customers were wearing a mask.

Couple of days later at Publix most customers weren't wearing a mask.

Seems to flucturate.

I see most people wearing a mask now fussing with their masks, wearing them on their chin, not covering their nose...and I wonder why they are bothering.

Happy to see people still social distancing. As it should be. No reason for you to be in my personal space EVER.....
Oh, yes....I noticed that about the mask wearers. LOTS of them were leaving their nose exposed. I’ve never seen that to that degree, either.

Oh, as far as the social distancing.....I love it. No more tables at restaurants so crowded together so the waiter taking the order at the adjacent table has his *** six inches from your face!

Old 06-24-2021, 05:32 AM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Okay, I am being a snob here, but I think most Walmart shoppers are like sheep and they have become used to doing what other people tell them to do that they might have lost the ability to think for themselves (compared to most of those who don't shop at Walmart). They have become so used to wearing masks, that it might be difficult for them to adjust to a world where masks are no longer necessary. The typical Walmart shopper might also not follow objective medical news as much as other people might.

AND/OR they just might like the feeling of security wearing a mask might give to them.

Last edited by katharsis; 06-24-2021 at 06:23 AM..

Old 06-24-2021, 05:43 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
In found mostly younger people in their early 20s are the ones still wearing masks. That and Hispanic's of any age.
I heard someone mention on here a while back, that many people looked better with mask on because all you see is their eyes.

Old 06-24-2021, 05:45 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
In found mostly younger people in their early 20s are the ones still wearing masks. That and Hispanic's of any age.
I heard someone mention on here a while back, that many people looked better with mask on because all you see is their eyes.
Interesting element. A large portion of the Walmart shoppers ARE Hispanic. In fact, most of the conversations I hear there are in Spanish. Plus, as I mentioned, there is a large population of illegal aliens, all from Central America, a ten-minute ride away.

Old 06-24-2021, 05:49 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I wonder where that is, because here.....DC area....it’s the opposite. I first noticed the masks dropping off among the older crowd at the grocery store, while the younger ones still wore it. That of course was when the vaccine was still in limited supply and only the 65+ people had gotten it.
I see kids, teens, young adults and elderly still wearing them. Makes no sense. It didn't from the beginning. Total joke and scam.

Old 06-24-2021, 06:10 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
I picked up a prescription there yesterday, and after two weeks of not having to wear a mask ANYWHERE (and also seeing almost everyone in stores and whatnot without masks), I was hit with how virtually everyone in Walmart was wearing a mask.

And in case I have to explain more about the demographics, this is in a very liberal area, and the customers are primarily working class or lower. (Some “middles,” like me, but not too many.) I suspect many of them are illegal aliens, also, since the Walmart neighbors a town that has a very high percentage of them.

Ideas?
No idea. Thats not the case in my more conservative area. Most people quit wearing masks months ago even in Wal-Mart.

Old 06-24-2021, 06:20 AM

870 posts, read 1,570,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
There are a lot of people in Walmart and so it may be a calculation of numbers and time.

Funny story, I'm visiting my son in Seattle area from Phoenix and wasn't wearing my mask in Safeway because there was hardly anyone in the store and when I went to check out, this psycho woman starting shrieking when I got within 15 feet of her at the check out line and glared at me like she was going to kill me....so glad I moved out of Washington.
Some of the anti-maskers caused quite a stir too and were obnoxious about it. I've seen it both ways.

Old 06-24-2021, 06:23 AM

6,389 posts, read 2,715,560 times
Quote:
I picked up a prescription there yesterday, and after two weeks of not having to wear a mask ANYWHERE (and also seeing almost everyone in stores and whatnot without masks), I was hit with how virtually everyone in Walmart was wearing a mask.

And in case I have to explain more about the demographics, this is in a very liberal area, and the customers are primarily working class or lower. (Some “middles,” like me, but not too many.) I suspect many of them are illegal aliens, also, since the Walmart neighbors a town that has a very high percentage of them.

Ideas?
Your premise is suspect. You appear to be assuming things based on your perceptions that may or may not match reality.

I too am in a liberal area. When we could first go maskless a little over a week ago, the first few days it was probably 90% of the people were still wearing masks. Often it was so few not wearing a mask you couldn't say that it was more common in one group over another.

As people start to give up these security blankets I figure the numbers of people no longer wearing masks will increase. But it is still probably 2/3rd's of the people wearing a mask. But many of the ones who are no longer wearing a mask tend to be older. It seems like they would be the most likely to wear one due to a fear of getting COVID, but then again they are the ones who most likely would have gotten vaccinated.

In fact, just a few days ago I went into a store next to a major college and run by college students. This was and has been the ONLY store since masks were no longer required that still required a mask regardless of any vaccinated status. If you didn't have a mask you were asked to leave.

Quote:
Interesting element. A large portion of the Walmart shoppers ARE Hispanic. In fact, most of the conversations I hear there are in Spanish. Plus, as I mentioned, there is a large population of illegal aliens, all from Central America, a ten-minute ride away.
I go to stores, including the occasional trip to Walmart, in an area that has a high Asian demographic, and surprisingly a large portion of the people in the store are Asian.

Old 06-24-2021, 06:32 AM

9,500 posts, read 2,922,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Okay, I am being a snob here, but I think most Walmart shoppers are like sheep and they have become used to doing what other people tell them to do that they might have lost the ability to think for themselves (compared to most of those who don't shop at Walmart). They have become so used to wearing masks, that it might be difficult for them to adjust to a world where masks are no longer necessary. The typical Walmart shopper might also not follow objective medical news as much as other people might.

AND/OR they just might like the feeling of security wearing a mask might give to them.
I go to target, but until it was built, had no other choice but to go to Walmart, some Walmart’s are better then others. I live 35 miles from any kind of store, for majority of areas, they haven’t a choice. Also Walmart shoppers here were defiant about wearing masks. It depends on the area.

Old 06-24-2021, 06:38 AM

1,579 posts, read 951,280 times
I think I live in roughly the same area as you OP. I don't go to Walmart (it would take me 40 minutes to get to one with traffic and it doesn't have groceries anyway). But I did notice something similar at the main grocery store I go to. I think a lot of it is just people adjusting back to normal. I know I didn't even realize the sign on the grocery store said I didn't need to wear a mask.

They way their notice is worded, it reads, "You Must Wear a Mask" (in big letters). But then under it it says, "unless you are fully vaccinated... etc, etc). I wore a mask to the store for about two weeks and I happened to notice many one other person not wearing one. The second time I noticed someone not wearing one, it was an employee and he was near the door so I asked him, "Are masks still required?" and he explained it to me and I took my mask off and thanked him. Walking into the store, I only say those big bold letters and I didn't want to hold up the people behind me by blocking the door by reading the whole thing. Most other places where masks aren't required are more clear.

But I do wonder why, now that a majority of people in the store are wearing masks, why more don’t seem to realize it’s optional. Or if they do realize it’s optional why they choose to keep wearing when 75% of the people in our area I’ve been vaccinated with at least one shot. 65% of had two. You would think that would mean more than half the people in the store would stop wearing masks because they’ve been fully vaccinated. I will stress, I don’t care in that it doesn’t bother me what other people do, but I care from a naturally curious person’s standpoint. I’m the type of person who, for example, might hear about a new scientific advancements on the news I need to know the, “why” about it and will spend hours afterwards researching to try to understand why and how, etc. It’s just my nature.

That was a few weeks ago and at first, I was almost the only one (and a few employees) who weren't wearing masks. Then more and more people stopped wearing them. I just went last night because I ran out of sour cream (for a recipe) and I noticed a fair number of people not wearing them for the first time.

As for the age of people, it started off with mainly older men. I even commented to myself I was the only woman not wearing a mask. But now older women too. Younger grocery store workers aren't wearing them, but younger people shopping still seem to be--but those people often have kids with them (and I realized it's been a long time since I've seen kids in the store too!). But I figured maybe they were doing it for their unvaccinated kids (you know, trying to be an example or wearing a mask since the kids have too--since they would be unvaccinated).

But I get it with your curiosity. I am the same way. I don't care in that it doesn't bother me what other people do if it doesn't affect me. But I am curious and like to know (or try to figure out) why. I think it's because shopping is painfully boring and people watching is entertaining.

Last edited by WalkingLiberty1919D; 06-24-2021 at 06:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies