Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 08:54 AM

25,775 posts, read 18,834,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
People are going around acting like the pandemic is over. It is in remission because of the responsible people who got shots, but with 150,000,000 or so remaining unvaccinated as the most contagious strains we have seen so far are accelerating, things are about to get bad again. Some people get it. Wearing a good N95 mask is a smart precaution.
How many "N95" masks do you see out there? I don't know that I've ever seen one in public. And the irony is that the N95 mask is the only one that is actually shown to be effective at filtering viruses. The masks you DO see in public are no better than wearing nothing. In fact, there is certain suppressed evidence they are worse than wearing nothing.

Old 06-24-2021, 08:55 AM

2,367 posts, read 910,329 times
Maybe they are wearing masks because they don't want to get the vaccine.

Old 06-24-2021, 08:56 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
I just get a kick out of people driving with their mask on. Nobody else in vehicle, windows up. I guess it's a false sense of saving themselves -from themselves.
Go ahead and get a kick out of it but those people are doing the right thing. Usually they are going from place to place to another place and it makes no sense to keep taking the mask off and then putting it on and then taking it off and putting it on. Also, it's more sanitary to not touch it, just leave it on until you're done.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:02 AM

25,775 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Go ahead and get a kick out of it but those people are doing the right thing. Usually they are going from place to place to another place and it makes no sense to keep taking the mask off and then putting it on and then taking it off and putting it on. Also, it's more sanitary to not touch it, just leave it on until you're done.
Yeah, I'll tell you, it's a major inconvenience to pull a couple elastics from behind the ear.

I just leave my pants down at all times as well. It makes no sense to keep pulling them up when I know I'm going to need to hit the bathroom again in just a few hours.

I'll tell you what makes no sense: it makes no sense to restrict your airways unless you absolutely have to.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:09 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
Maybe they are wearing masks because they don't want to get the vaccine.
Still doesn’t explain why it would just be Walmart, but as other posters have pointed out, it could just be that location or that day.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:17 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Well the masks most people are wearing don't do much at all, if anything, re this virus.

I think we are still shell shocked at the past year+ and how this could happen. Wait until the foreclosures and evictions start. Yesterday I went to the grocery store and meat was sparse, and expensive.

It is a very uncertain time and I think people are just confused, now we hear of vicious variants and serious questions if children should take the vaccine at all.

No one really knows what's going on. Maybe some just feel stuck and so keep doing what they were doing when this crazy s**t started.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:18 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,398,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
The sister of a co-worker of mine just died of Covid. She lived in Missouri some seven hours from where I live. He is there to bury her today.

I don't know how she caught it nor why it affected her so seriously but she's dead. It could be that new variant, I suppose. My co-worker is older, like I am, so I assume she was in the same age range but I don't know if she was particularly compromised otherwise.

The point is anyone who wants to wear mask, I respect. They are certainly responsible for their own well being. If they ask me to wear one in their presence I will comply. The times are still sketchy for a lot of people.
The Delta variant is rampant in southwest and northern Missouri. We have the highest Covid rate per 100K right now. It’s the Delta variant along with low vaccination rates and Covid prevention method denial in our more rural areas.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:21 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Still doesn’t explain why it would just be Walmart, but as other posters have pointed out, it could just be that location or that day.
You went to Walmart on one day and summarized this sweeping generalization.

It could be on that day in your Walmart lots of folks had masks. Could be the next day there weren't as many.

Could be your area.

Where I live Walmart mask wearing is not any different than Trader Joe's, Old Navy, Harris Tweeter, Total Wine....lol.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:51 AM

858 posts, read 682,337 times
I would also assume the demographics of the average Wal-Mart shopper is probably is conservative and has not been vaccinated.

Old 06-24-2021, 10:12 AM

7,928 posts, read 3,477,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's continued in the DC area, the Millennials and Gen Yers are masked while others are not.

And for some of those wearing masks when it's not required it's simply virtue signaling. I know some of those.
Yeah for some it's a cultural or tribal thing, like pronouns in your social media bio. I think it was David Hogg who said not too long ago on twitter that he was still going to wear a mask because he didn't want people to think he was a conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies