Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 07:59 AM

35,696 posts, read 21,049,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I picked up a prescription there yesterday, and after two weeks of not having to wear a mask ANYWHERE (and also seeing almost everyone in stores and whatnot without masks), I was hit with how virtually everyone in Walmart was wearing a mask.

And in case I have to explain more about the demographics, this is in a very liberal area, and the customers are primarily working class or lower. (Some “middles,” like me, but not too many.) I suspect many of them are illegal aliens, also, since the Walmart neighbors a town that has a very high percentage of them.

Ideas?
Why does it matter ? I am 1/2 way in my vaccination and will continue to wear mask. Now three family members have covid. Maybe some folks just smart.

Old 06-25-2021, 08:00 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,094,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Why does it matter ? I am 1/2 way in my vaccination and will continue to wear mask. Now three family members have covid. Maybe some folks just smart.
Oh, really?

You must be a liberal.

Liberals are stupid because they wear masks.

They are just sheep. Ha ha! What a bunch of dummies.

/s

Old 06-25-2021, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Oh, really?

You must be a liberal.

Liberals are stupid because they wear masks.

They are just sheep. Ha ha! What a bunch of dummies.

/s
Yup like Drs. Resort to Name calling lol. Last I remember we have the freedom to wear one if we want. What business is it of yours ?

Old 06-25-2021, 08:28 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,094,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Yup like Drs. Resort to Name calling lol. Last I remember we have the freedom to wear one if we want. What business is it of yours ?
Exactly! People have a multitude of reasons for wearing one. It's nobody's business.

Old 06-25-2021, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Exactly! People have a multitude of reasons for wearing one. It's nobody's business.
They are control freaks and have no lives. I never look to see whose wearing what. Geesh

Old 06-25-2021, 08:58 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
I picked up a prescription there yesterday, and after two weeks of not having to wear a mask ANYWHERE (and also seeing almost everyone in stores and whatnot without masks), I was hit with how virtually everyone in Walmart was wearing a mask.

And in case I have to explain more about the demographics, this is in a very liberal area, and the customers are primarily working class or lower. (Some “middles,” like me, but not too many.) I suspect many of them are illegal aliens, also, since the Walmart neighbors a town that has a very high percentage of them.

Ideas?
I would have to assume it's just a locational situation.

In my experience, people are mostly not wearing them, but I went into somewhere yesterday (I think it was ALDI where this happened) and I noticed a lot of people wearing them, but I go to Aldi all the time, and usually less people do. Aldi, where I live has a high percentage of Southeast Asians (I don't assume they are illegal, just noticing their demographic). In general, masks are more common in those cultures, so I chalk it up to that.

FWIW, where I live, in NC, Walmart was one of the first places where people refused to wear masks, even before the CDC lifted the guideline. That was specifically in some of the more rural areas, where my adult daughter lives.

I can only guess, none of us know, but I wonder if the reason you see more masked people in a Walmart in an area like DC is because the general demographic of DC is educated, where the general demographic of Walmart is at least marginally less-so. I have to wonder if people just realized that the people who go to Walmart are the ones to believe the lies about the Pandemic, are afraid to get the vax due to misinformation, and don't wear masks because they were told the pandemic is a hoax. So educated people going there that know better are maybe just taking extra precautions. It's only speculation, but that's the only thing I can think of. I don't live in DC, so I realize my statement is a generalization.

Speaking of curiosity: You said "and the customers are primarily working class or lower." Why do you think working class is "low"? A lot of them are hard-working people, just trying to do their thing. That's not "low". And why do you think working class is predominantly liberal? I don't disagree with the second part, I'm just curious why you think that. I thought the Republican mantra was that the working class supports them, not the libs. (I am honestly asking out of curiosity. It just seems out of step with the viewpoint of most of your right-leaning people.)

Old 06-25-2021, 08:58 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Why does anyone care why anyone else wears a mask? Mind your own damn business, and while you're at it, don't sneeze or cough on other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I feel like donning a hazmat suit when I go into Walmart, especially on the weekend.
LOL, I hear that. I avoid Walmart at all, if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
People are going around acting like the pandemic is over. It is in remission because of the responsible people who got shots, but with 150,000,000 or so remaining unvaccinated as the most contagious strains we have seen so far are accelerating, things are about to get bad again. Some people get it.
And others never will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Yeah, I'll tell you, it's a major inconvenience to pull a couple elastics from behind the ear.

I just leave my pants down at all times as well. It makes no sense to keep pulling them up when I know I'm going to need to hit the bathroom again in just a few hours.

I'll tell you what makes no sense: it makes no sense to restrict your airways unless you absolutely have to.
You'd think after all this time people would stop spouting nonsense and misinformation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
You went to Walmart on one day and summarized this sweeping generalization.
That's what many on this forum do best. Alas.

Quote:
Where was my question political? Did I ask about Rs or Ds? Did I say anything about color?
Your first post mentions liberals.

Old 06-25-2021, 09:07 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Reportedly, Walmart receives an average of 37 million visitors a day. Imagine some choose to continue masking up.

None of my business. Why speculate?

I am unaware how anyone can identify illegal aliens in a Walmart by looking at them. Seems to say more about the observer’s assumptions than the targets.

Old 06-25-2021, 09:08 AM

19,711 posts, read 20,240,448 times
Quote:

It doesn’t seem to have anything to do with whether they’re liberal or conservative. Not everything is about politics.
It really doesn't. That's the thing...lol

People are just being cautious for themselves and courteous of others. That's what it all boils down to for me at this point.

Quote:
I was hit with how virtually everyone in Walmart was wearing a mask.

Ideas?
I went to a different Walmart yesterday (we've got like 4 of them here) and took note so I could report back, lol. I normally go earlier in the AM and see more elderly people then, but went @ NOON so the crowd was different and it was much busier.

Most people there were masked, employees and customers, of all ages, and all races, and all walks of life, it didn't seem to matter. I live in a diverse (cap) city, so I can't really tell who's illegal just by the way they look or by where they live. I couldn't even begin to guess political leanings either.

I know Walmart has this crazy stigma, but I find people are so nice there, even complete strangers are helpful and courteous of one another. Maybe it's just my city, or maybe it's just me. But kindness is definitely universal, so that's how I roll

Old 06-25-2021, 09:25 AM

305 posts, read 213,125 times
Same deal where I live, Rachel. Extremely liberal city and Walmart was in municipality with one of highest Hispanic pops in country. I felt thoroughly creeped out, to be honest. I walked up to a young Black woman and politely asked her if this store had a mask policy, and she scurried off like I offended her. I was just curious why I was only human being without a mask.

People cycling outside with masks are now excellent indicators you’re surrounded by the new Red Guard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies