Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 09:27 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,968,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I picked up a prescription there yesterday, and after two weeks of not having to wear a mask ANYWHERE (and also seeing almost everyone in stores and whatnot without masks), I was hit with how virtually everyone in Walmart was wearing a mask.

And in case I have to explain more about the demographics, this is in a very liberal area, and the customers are primarily working class or lower. (Some “middles,” like me, but not too many.) I suspect many of them are illegal aliens, also, since the Walmart neighbors a town that has a very high percentage of them.

Ideas?
They have mental illness / or are hypochondriacs....which is also a mental illness.

quite simple.

Old 06-25-2021, 09:39 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I would have to assume it's just a locational situation.

In my experience, people are mostly not wearing them, but I went into somewhere yesterday (I think it was ALDI where this happened) and I noticed a lot of people wearing them, but I go to Aldi all the time, and usually less people do. Aldi, where I live has a high percentage of Southeast Asians (I don't assume they are illegal, just noticing their demographic). In general, masks are more common in those cultures, so I chalk it up to that.

FWIW, where I live, in NC, Walmart was one of the first places where people refused to wear masks, even before the CDC lifted the guideline. That was specifically in some of the more rural areas, where my adult daughter lives.

I can only guess, none of us know, but I wonder if the reason you see more masked people in a Walmart in an area like DC is because the general demographic of DC is educated, where the general demographic of Walmart is at least marginally less-so. I have to wonder if people just realized that the people who go to Walmart are the ones to believe the lies about the Pandemic, are afraid to get the vax due to misinformation, and don't wear masks because they were told the pandemic is a hoax. So educated people going there that know better are maybe just taking extra precautions. It's only speculation, but that's the only thing I can think of. I don't live in DC, so I realize my statement is a generalization.

Speaking of curiosity: You said "and the customers are primarily working class or lower." Why do you think working class is "low"? A lot of them are hard-working people, just trying to do their thing. That's not "low". And why do you think working class is predominantly liberal? I don't disagree with the second part, I'm just curious why you think that. I thought the Republican mantra was that the working class supports them, not the libs. (I am honestly asking out of curiosity. It just seems out of step with the viewpoint of most of your right-leaning people.)
Re your last question about working class. As you see in the sentence you quoted, I did NOT say that working class is “low.” I said the customers are primarily working class OR lower. That doesn’t mean I consider working class “low.” If I were to describe people who go to a specific place as middle class or lower, that doesn’t mean the middle class is low.

Working class is definitely not low. It’s the largest bloc of people in the country. Below them, however, IS the lower class - people on government assistance.

Last edited by Rachel976; 06-25-2021 at 10:19 AM..

Old 06-25-2021, 10:10 AM

20,346 posts, read 19,937,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Why do you care?
Why did you care enough to post here?

Old 06-25-2021, 10:28 AM

52,290 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Hard to say.

The grocery store near me has signs up now saying that if you are vaccinated you don't have to wear a mask, but I see a lot of people still wearing masks, maybe they aren't vaccinated and are being honest, I don't know.

Old 06-25-2021, 11:44 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,464,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Hard to say.

The grocery store near me has signs up now saying that if you are vaccinated you don't have to wear a mask, but I see a lot of people still wearing masks, maybe they aren't vaccinated and are being honest, I don't know.
Dear wife and I went into a very large grocery store recently in Illinois and we were asked to put on masks. My wife asked "why?" and the manager replied "because we have a lot of employees here unvaccinated and they are still vulnerable".

I realized that he was probably referring to the many teenagers employed there. Of course I accepted the mask and wore it.

Old 06-25-2021, 03:08 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Re your last question about working class. As you see in the sentence you quoted, I did NOT say that working class is “low.” I said the customers are primarily working class OR lower. That doesn’t mean I consider working class “low.” If I were to describe people who go to a specific place as middle class or lower, that doesn’t mean the middle class is low.

Working class is definitely not low. It’s the largest bloc of people in the country. Below them, however, IS the lower class - people on government assistance.

Old 07-03-2021, 06:54 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Okay, I am being a snob here, but I think most Walmart shoppers are like sheep and they have become used to doing what other people tell them to do that they might have lost the ability to think for themselves (compared to most of those who don't shop at Walmart). They have become so used to wearing masks, that it might be difficult for them to adjust to a world where masks are no longer necessary. The typical Walmart shopper might also not follow objective medical news as much as other people might.

AND/OR they just might like the feeling of security wearing a mask might give to them.
That's pure comedy gold, right there.

I'll be sure and tell all the shoppers in the Scottsdale Walmart they've lost the ability to think for themselves. Then I'll duck.

Old 07-03-2021, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
People are going around acting like the pandemic is over. It is in remission because of the responsible people who got shots, but with 150,000,000 or so remaining unvaccinated as the most contagious strains we have seen so far are accelerating, things are about to get bad again. Some people get it. Wearing a good N95 mask is a smart precaution.
I've got hundreds of them. Useful not only for pandemics but for smoke from forest fires and blowing dust.

Old 07-03-2021, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I know Walmart has this crazy stigma, but I find people are so nice there, even complete strangers are helpful and courteous of one another. Maybe it's just my city, or maybe it's just me. But kindness is definitely universal, so that's how I roll
A stranger hugged me at Walmart once. She'd lost her balance and I kept her from falling. It was a nice moment.

Old 07-03-2021, 07:16 AM

4,195 posts, read 1,602,221 times
People Of Walmart - Funny Pictures of People Shopping at Walmart : People Of Walmart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies