Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 01:42 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
City government, aka the taxpayers.
Wow. Where is this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2021, 01:51 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Yup! Many of those flyers are from companies that are lowballing home values. They often times have zero interest in buying homes are full value. They figure that if they send out 5000 flyers and a few folks reply, it's worth their time and effort.
A flyer is nothing. Some of these people come up aggressively and pick on old or frail people. A lady told me a guy put his foot in the door when she tried to close it.

I'm more bothered by neighbors and companies giving poor people a hard time than buyers making offers. Some people don't believe homeowners can be poor, lol. If they are low income they are poor. If they can't keep up with inflation on a fixed income and struggle with bills they are poor. They still need a roof over their heads and it is their house.

This is not the first time there has been a hot market but behavior is worse this time and insurance rules are getting tighter. I'm trying very hard to help a client to secure insurance without forcing her to spend thousands she doesn't have in unnecessary upgrades. I would like to see the states which are lax in insurance regulation being held responsible for this. The more they can get away with the more they will do.

Old 06-29-2021, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Links?
Everything isn't a "link", sometimes it's real life experience. I'm working in the middle of it now. There are forums where people discuss these things also, many stories. Lots of stuff going on right now.

Old 06-29-2021, 01:59 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
No, they really wouldn't.

Very few people are excited about unsolicited cold calling. Not much you can do about it. I've reported a few Realtors to the Do Not Call list for unsolicited, repeat text and phone calls. Not much else I can do about it besides leave a nasty review on Yelp, Google which I've also done. It's one thing to get the occasional junk mailer from the "We Buy Crappy Houses" people now and again. It's another when you're getting five texts or phone calls a day. Again, that's not most Realtors and that's actually fairly new behavior in my experience. It's really only been the last year where I've experienced licensed Realtors resorting to robocalls and text messages. Just my two cents but they need to do a better job policing themselves. Nobody likes getting robocalled/texted three times a day for weeks on end.
I recently cancelled my land line which was a part of some “ bundle”. I never give out the number and don’t answer calls. It’s all about the pesky robo calls and voice mail.

Most cell phones have the ability to block numbers and/ or accept calls only from numbers approved by the owner.

I know many agents walking the fine line with robo calls, especially now when demand is high and inventory low. Calling the managing broker tends to be more effective than reporting to a database.

I probably recycle 5 lbs of junk mail a week.

Old 06-29-2021, 02:18 PM

864 posts, read 440,330 times
I have a couple dozen houses in a high demand area. I get texts and mailings several times a day, almost every single day. I also get phone calls. I even get them for houses I no longer own or those owners by a relative. Just reply STOP to the texts and you are removed from their list. Throw the mailings in the garbage.

You can’t blame them for trying. It’s not exactly harassment. And super easy to ignore.

Old 06-29-2021, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
I have a couple dozen houses in a high demand area. I get texts and mailings several times a day, almost every single day. I also get phone calls. I even get them for houses I no longer own or those owners by a relative. Just reply STOP to the texts and you are removed from their list. Throw the mailings in the garbage.

You can’t blame them for trying. It’s not exactly harassment. And super easy to ignore.
It isn't about that, it's a lot more.

Old 06-29-2021, 02:29 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,949,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Where is this happening? Sounds like a potentially gentrifying area, which means the owner will likely benefit when he sells.

Obviously the owner is not poor if they own their residence, especially outright.

Seniors tend to get property tax breaks due to age and/ or a combination of age and income. There are a handful of municipalities in the US that exempt seniors from that portion of property tax that funds schools.

Homes in need of obvious maintenance potentially impact the values of nearby properties. Sometimes owners become oblivious or can’t afford to take care of business.

States regulate insurers. Are there states that allow insurers to decline to insure an older home that has not been condemned? Type of construction, age of roof, zip code, prior 5-7 year claim history and premium payment record can impact premiums.
These oldsters could have bought their home years ago when housing prices were a lot lower and paid them off while they were working. That's no indication that they aren't poor now. Selling their home isn't going to benefit them, since many of these "I Buy Houses" vultures don't make generous offers on a home that may be run down or sold "as is".

Old 06-29-2021, 02:29 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
And the biggest perpetrators.... Kinfolk.
Put em in a nursing home is today's mantra.
After all it's the elders fault they are no longer fit as a fiddle and producing for corporate America!!

Okay off my little pony and back to clear remarks.

The dept of aging has a division to aide the seniors from scams, frauds, and hoodwinked.

Old 06-29-2021, 02:46 PM

15,532 posts, read 10,507,413 times
These developers and real estate guys are vultures.

Old 06-29-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
These oldsters could have bought their home years ago when housing prices were a lot lower and paid them off while they were working. That's no indication that they aren't poor now. Selling their home isn't going to benefit them, since many of these "I Buy Houses" vultures don't make generous offers on a home that may be run down or sold "as is".
Even if they could get a good price they would have to buy somewhere else which is expensive too or pay rent which is high and unstable. They could be told to move when their lease is up and then be stuck.

There is a movement for old people to "age in place" in their homes because they do better in familiar environments. Not if they are being bothered by everyone to sell and go ? to an even more expensive assisted living, a trailer? a rental?

I want as many older folks to stay in my neighborhood as long as possible, I don't mind checking in on them, and they are pleasant and quiet neighbors. Some of them slack on maintenance because they just can't do it anymore, but then so do many of the younger people, who can be lazy and don't care about having a garden or nice landscaping any more than they care about having quality furniture or good china.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies