Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 10:56 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times

Advertisements

Makes me think of this local hero from the neighborhood I used to live in. Developers tried for years to get this woman to sell, so they could build this big complex. Eventually, they just built it around her! We absolutely cheered for this spunky old woman!

https://www.amusingplanet.com/2014/03/edith-macefield-legendary-house-in.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2021, 11:05 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,309,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Where is this happening? Sounds like a potentially gentrifying area, which means the owner will likely benefit when he sells.

Obviously the owner is not poor if they own their residence, especially outright.

Seniors tend to get property tax breaks due to age and/ or a combination of age and income. There are a handful of municipalities in the US that exempt seniors from that portion of property tax that funds schools.

Homes in need of obvious maintenance potentially impact the values of nearby properties. Sometimes owners become oblivious or can’t afford to take care of business.

States regulate insurers. Are there states that allow insurers to decline to insure an older home that has not been condemned? Type of construction, age of roof, zip code, prior 5-7 year claim history and premium payment record can impact premiums.
waaaay too fact-based.

where I live, we're getting ready to spend an average of $25,000 rehabbing old people's properties so they can stay there. That's a TON of "deferred maintenance", otherwise known as "benign neglect".

How old is the roof? Oh, 50 years? When that leak turns into an insurance claim - the rest of us are supposed to cover you? What, you have no smoke detectors? You got dead trees next to your house?

Old 06-29-2021, 11:09 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,309,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
For half of what your house is worth?

That's lovely, but this is not the kind of house the OP is talking about.
it bothers me personally that too many homeowners don't know the actual value of their property, and they "fall prey" to hucksters.

But what's the solution? Information and education for the homeowners, or more regulation on the process?

The "government" has no business over-regulating your private property, and that includes spending $25K to fix your dilapidated property for you.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:27 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
In our area, older homeowners are selling and moving in with their kids or into senior living situations.

Every home I can think of looks better today than it did before it sold. New owners have painted, put down sod to replace patchy grass, replaced rotting fences and steps, etc.
If they are moving by choice, good for them. If they were coerced that is disgusting.

In my area the new people moving in are nightmares, and the "fixed up" properties look cheap and worse after they clutter them up, fill every space in the yard and add additions up to the property line. How that is better than some weeds or old paint is beyond me.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:46 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,780 times
Most of the booming markets will be destroyed by climate change.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:55 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
waaaay too fact-based.

where I live, we're getting ready to spend an average of $25,000 rehabbing old people's properties so they can stay there. That's a TON of "deferred maintenance", otherwise known as "benign neglect".

How old is the roof? Oh, 50 years? When that leak turns into an insurance claim - the rest of us are supposed to cover you? What, you have no smoke detectors? You got dead trees next to your house?

Who is spending 25K to do this?

Some insurers now are down to 15 years, for a 30 yr roof. One guy I know had three roof inspections which found the roof in perfect condition, but he was cancelled anyway.

A long term "negligence" leak isn't covered by insurance anyway, just like termites, even if the termite damage is unapparent.

Old 06-29-2021, 12:02 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Greed is certainly part of it. Another part is an attitude of "kill or be killed". Some people are looking for cheap housing, which is in short supply. It's getting to where people will do anything, no matter who awful it is, to get theirs.

Old 06-29-2021, 12:15 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It is disgusting. The insurance companies are starting to price out or just cancel insurance on older homes where the elderly and lower income are likely to live.
There is no monolithic insurance company, it is an incredibly competitive and one of the most highest regulated (home insurance) markets in the US.

They make money by selling policies, not by refusing to issue them.

If the prices are too high then you need to take a hard look at the laws of the state, if there has been fires, hail, riots, home invasions on the rise.

So basically, I call shennanigans on your post and the implication that his is some sort of nefarious act by home insurers all of which would not be allowed to overcharge and if they don't want to insure them then it's because of them and not the many companies that would love to sell a policy.

If you'd care to explain further I can probably help clear up any misunderstanding.

Old 06-29-2021, 12:21 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Some insurers now are down to 15 years, for a 30 yr roof. One guy I know had three roof inspections which found the roof in perfect condition, but he was cancelled anyway.
*some* implies not all and so the guy with the 3 inspections was able to find insurance with a carrier correct?

This almost has to be a high-hail risk area or hurricane risk area.

Please note that the state you live in controls the approval of home insurance prices. If they've been artificially suppressing them for political reasons, then you can see insurers reluctant to do business there. (Is this in Florida? Sounds like them.)

Old 06-29-2021, 12:22 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Nearly everyone in my neighborhood, regardless of age, gets contacted several times a month to sell.

Could it be that houses that have not been well maintained over the years get contacted more?
Maybe. Our real estate market is extremely hot. Inventory is low. Houses sell immediately with multiple offers and often even above appraisal. Realtors and buyers are desperate to find homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies