Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 10:00 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times

Advertisements

A combination of greedy investors, insurance companies, local government and even neighbors are ganging up on low income homeowners to try to coerce them to leave. I've observed this working with low income seniors living at home. It is disgusting. The insurance companies are starting to price out or just cancel insurance on older homes where the elderly and lower income are likely to live.

Flippers harass them, neighbors ignore them, bother them, or report homes that haven't been renovated as eye sores (while their own yards are full of trampolines, RVs, plastic crap). Someone reported a woman's beautiful wildflower garden as "weeds" that need to be mowed.

The local governments want to see old homes either razed or gutted, they are outlawing certain things that will force people to spend thousands of dollars to comply or be fined, or they will be forced to sell. This is often happening in democrat run areas. I'm not sure how you virtue signal this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2021, 10:12 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
It is disgusting. Old folks should be allowed to live in their homes without this harassment by the greedy. When they are forced out, where do they go? With the skyrocketing rents and long waits for housing assistance, this could get very ugly.

Old 06-29-2021, 10:13 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
I've seen it. They'll often put pressure on the elderly. These type of pressure tactics by charities and others that pressure the elderly and take advantage of their nativity should be criminalized with heavy fines that make it not with the effort.

Old 06-29-2021, 10:16 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Yes, this is happening, I know a few older folks that get offers multiple times per week. Around here, housing construction has slowed to a crawl, so that is probably the reason.

Old 06-29-2021, 10:17 AM

7,928 posts, read 3,473,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
It is disgusting. Old folks should be allowed to live in their homes without this harassment by the greedy. When they are forced out, where do they go? With the skyrocketing rents and long waits for housing assistance, this could get very ugly.
They will eat the bugs and they will live in the pods. They will own nothing, and they will be happy.

Old 06-29-2021, 10:17 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
A combination of greedy investors, insurance companies, local government and even neighbors are ganging up on low income homeowners to try to coerce them to leave. I've observed this working with low income seniors living at home. It is disgusting. The insurance companies are starting to price out or just cancel insurance on older homes where the elderly and lower income are likely to live.

Flippers harass them, neighbors ignore them, bother them, or report homes that haven't been renovated as eye sores (while their own yards are full of trampolines, RVs, plastic crap). Someone reported a woman's beautiful wildflower garden as "weeds" that need to be mowed.

The local governments want to see old homes either razed or gutted, they are outlawing certain things that will force people to spend thousands of dollars to comply or be fined, or they will be forced to sell. This is often happening in democrat run areas. I'm not sure how you virtue signal this.
Everyone is getting these calls where I live, old or young. I get a call almost everyday and regular mailings asking me if I want to sell.

Old 06-29-2021, 10:18 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,309,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

provide a link, please.

Especially one that shows that insurance companies specifically target these people with predatory practices.

And provide one of the "local government ordinances" that are unreasonable.

thanks

Old 06-29-2021, 10:19 AM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
It is beyond horrible and I hate to see it happen

Old 06-29-2021, 10:19 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
We are getting hand delivered fliers about every other day. We had to put up a no soliciting sign to keep them off the doorbell.

Old 06-29-2021, 10:20 AM

9,881 posts, read 4,650,430 times
On one hand these offers and investors are predatory but all one has to do is say no or not respond in any fashion.

The minute these investors realize one wants to negotiate or is consulting an industry expert of their own most will back off.

A pile cash will help out many a person but so will not having a place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies