Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 12:43 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
For half of what your house is worth?

That's lovely, but this is not the kind of house the OP is talking about.
Property is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, assuming it appraises, if a mortgage is necessary.

No shortage of people have unrealistic perceptions of their home value. Greed is a two- way street.

Some poorly maintained properties are indeed worth half of what a maintained and updated property, next door, might fetch.

Some properties are candidates for tear down and the value is in the lot.

It’s easier to ignore unsolicited low ball offers than choosing to get worked up about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2021, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
waaaay too fact-based.

where I live, we're getting ready to spend an average of $25,000 rehabbing old people's properties so they can stay there. That's a TON of "deferred maintenance", otherwise known as "benign neglect".

How old is the roof? Oh, 50 years? When that leak turns into an insurance claim - the rest of us are supposed to cover you? What, you have no smoke detectors? You got dead trees next to your house?
Who is the we as in “ we’re getting ready to spend an average of $25,000…….?

Old 06-29-2021, 12:53 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
No shortage of people have unrealistic perceptions of their home value. Greed is a two- way street.

Some poorly maintained properties are indeed worth half of what a maintained and updated property, next door, might fetch.

Some properties are candidates for tear down and the value is in the lot.

It’s easier to ignore unsolicited low ball offers than choosing to get worked up about it.
Of course people are going to "get worked up about it" if they are being coerced out of their home. What a disgusting thing to say.

I'm just going to figure that you've never dealt with flippers before, or that you've never lived in a gentrifying area. I'm also going to figure that you are not elderly or low-income, that you're well educated, and that if you wanted to move you'd have the financial means to do so.

You are NOT among the group of people who are being preyed on by flippers, by developers, by quasi-governmental or private redevelopment groups, or by your own local government.

Good grief, try on some empathy for size!

Old 06-29-2021, 12:58 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,307,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
If they are moving by choice, good for them. If they were coerced that is disgusting.

In my area the new people moving in are nightmares, and the "fixed up" properties look cheap and worse after they clutter them up, fill every space in the yard and add additions up to the property line. How that is better than some weeds or old paint is beyond me.
ahhh, a "heroes vs villains" script.

Can you define what rises to coercion in your mind?

Old 06-29-2021, 01:00 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,307,257 times
Quote:
Who is the we as in “ we’re getting ready to spend an average of $25,000…….?
City government, aka the taxpayers.

Old 06-29-2021, 01:06 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Most reasonable people would be delighted to get offers multiple times a week. If one is uninterested in selling, easy enough to dismiss, like offers to extend warranties or offers for Medicare supplemental insurance.

Interests rates are at record lows. The ability to lock into a fixed 3% rate had created a demand that exceeds supply in many areas. Only thing any of us really control, is our own reactions.

My property has been a featured in several local garden walks over the years. I frequently receive letters from families expressing an interest in buying my home. Interestingly enough, when I do decide to move, likely half of ready, willing and able buyers will take a pass because they have no interest in maintaining the crap. Lol.
No, they really wouldn't.

Very few people are excited about unsolicited cold calling. Not much you can do about it. I've reported a few Realtors to the Do Not Call list for unsolicited, repeat text and phone calls. Not much else I can do about it besides leave a nasty review on Yelp, Google which I've also done. It's one thing to get the occasional junk mailer from the "We Buy Crappy Houses" people now and again. It's another when you're getting five texts or phone calls a day. Again, that's not most Realtors and that's actually fairly new behavior in my experience. It's really only been the last year where I've experienced licensed Realtors resorting to robocalls and text messages. Just my two cents but they need to do a better job policing themselves. Nobody likes getting robocalled/texted three times a day for weeks on end.

Old 06-29-2021, 01:28 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,160,794 times
Quote:
it bothers me personally that too many homeowners don't know the actual value of their property, and they "fall prey" to hucksters.

But what's the solution? Information and education for the homeowners, or more regulation on the process?

The "government" has no business over-regulating your private property, and that includes spending $25K to fix your dilapidated property for you.

Yup! Many of those flyers are from companies that are lowballing home values. They often times have zero interest in buying homes are full value. They figure that if they send out 5000 flyers and a few folks reply, it's worth their time and effort.

Old 06-29-2021, 01:30 PM

19,610 posts, read 12,212,859 times
Quote:
City government, aka the taxpayers.
So one of those programs where needy who cannot afford to fix their property gets some assistance?

I think that isn't a bad thing, as long as it is fairly applied.

I've heard of neighbors putting collections together to help a neighbor in need to fix their property, and it helps the neighborhood and their property values too. That is rare of course.

Old 06-29-2021, 01:32 PM

39,865 posts, read 26,492,827 times
Quote:
A combination of greedy investors, insurance companies, local government and even neighbors are ganging up on low income homeowners to try to coerce them to leave. I've observed this working with low income seniors living at home. It is disgusting. The insurance companies are starting to price out or just cancel insurance on older homes where the elderly and lower income are likely to live.

Flippers harass them, neighbors ignore them, bother them, or report homes that haven't been renovated as eye sores (while their own yards are full of trampolines, RVs, plastic crap). Someone reported a woman's beautiful wildflower garden as "weeds" that need to be mowed.

The local governments want to see old homes either razed or gutted, they are outlawing certain things that will force people to spend thousands of dollars to comply or be fined, or they will be forced to sell. This is often happening in democrat run areas. I'm not sure how you virtue signal this.
Links?

Old 06-29-2021, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Who is spending 25K to do this?

Some insurers now are down to 15 years, for a 30 yr roof. One guy I know had three roof inspections which found the roof in perfect condition, but he was cancelled anyway.

A long term "negligence" leak isn't covered by insurance anyway, just like termites, even if the termite damage is unapparent.
When the likelihood of a claim increases, insurers need to account for it.

Wind/ hail damage is the most common home insurance claim. Generally speaking, an asphalt roof older than 15 years is more prone to wind / hail damage than a newer roof. Depending on state regulations, an insurer may decline to insure or make insurance contingent upon replacing the roof or cap damage claims at depreciated value or exempt roof claims or charge a higher premium.

Typically, the insurer pays the insured for repair/ replacement. Sometimes, these funds are not used to repair/ replace, violating the terms/ conditions of the policy. This can come back and bite the owner.

Owners of fully paid off property sometimes choose to self insure property risks, meaning the owner pays out of pocket to repair/ replace if/ when a peril occurs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies