Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2021, 01:18 PM

73,139 posts, read 62,835,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You keep saying "white washing history", these are memorials to confederate generals, this doesn't change history unless that's the only place you use, how about books?

The vote was 285-120, take a wild guess which party voted against removal of confederate monuments from the nations capitol.
You can learn about the Civil War in books, in museums, and thanks to the internet, there is information aplenty. I don't buy this "whitewashing history" crap. It is a cop out.

When someone takes down a statue, it's not being done to whitewash history. It's being done in recognition that said person does not deserve to be honored or lionized. There are some people who still view Confederate generals as heroes and hold on to the Lost Cause narrative. By removing Confederate statues, it sends the message of "we don't honor Confederates". This is what really angers some people. Said persons want Confederate generals to be honored and viewed positively. When there are people who feel the opposite way, and act on it, that angers individuals who sympathize with the Confederacy. Said persons view taking down Confederate statues as an attack on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2021, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
I pretty much agree. We should honor the heroes who sacrificed to save the republic, not the traitors who fought to break us apart. Screw the confederacy and the horse it lost the war on.
Agreed. It is unthinkable to have statues of Confederate generals in the U.S. Capitol building. In most countries, people like those Confederate generals would have faced the firing squad.

The sad thing is, we still have individuals who hold on to that Lost Cause propaganda. Taking those statues out of the Capitol building (and out of other public spaces) sends a message to said persons: "We do not recognize Confederate generals as heroes. They don't deserve to be lionized and they have no place in modern day America. You want a Confederate statue? Put it in your back yard. They do not deserve public places of honor".

To me, that message being sent is a bigger part of what angers some people. It isn't "whitewashing of history".

Old 07-04-2021, 01:44 PM

6,751 posts, read 6,767,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Why do the majority of African-Americans view the Confederate flag in a very negative way, as a symbol of racism?
The Confederate Flag as a symbol of having few teeth, fewer brain cells, being a traitor against our country, and driving a cart down the aisle at Wal-Mart with butt cheeks hanging over each side. You don't look at someone who waves that thing and think "wow, there's an enlightened person who is surely making a great contribution to society".

Old 07-04-2021, 01:50 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,038,739 times
Removing confederate status isn’t whitewashing history. Most people don’t even know who those statues are when they walk by.

Most of these statues are from the Jim Crow era. Neutered and having to deal with blacks getting rights; the racists used whatever means they could.

All confederate statues should be removed from Federal property. Replace them with non-traitors to the republic.

Old 07-04-2021, 03:42 PM

10,122 posts, read 6,486,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
A TV show is evidence of what? Sheeeeesh.
Yup. I guess everyone thinks the TV show Dallas was an accurate representation of life in Texas too.

Old 07-04-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
The Confederate Flag as a symbol of having few teeth, fewer brain cells, being a traitor against our country, and driving a cart down the aisle at Wal-Mart with butt cheeks hanging over each side. You don't look at someone who waves that thing and think "wow, there's an enlightened person who is surely making a great contribution to society".
Somewhat true. I have seen a few people who embody that. When I see individuals who fly Confederate flags from their trucks, low intelligence is something I think of. When I see someone wearing a Confederate flag shirt or flying that flag, I don't think of someone who is intelligent. I think of someone who is quietly embittered. Lacking teeth isn't something I immediately think of because most of the people I've know who flown Confederate flags or were highly associated with it had all of their teeth. It's often individuals who seem embittered (albeit quietly). The kind of individuals who try to look as rough and aggressive as possible. The kind of men who drive 70 mph in a 45 mph zone in loud trucks (either so everyone can see their Confederate flags flying hard, or just for the fun of it).

I also think of many of the individuals who bullied me when I was in high school. I grew up in an area where several kids were quite into the Confederate stuff. There were some were overtly racist towards me. Many were the kind of persons whom if I were to tell them what the Confederate cause is about, they would go from nice to borderline belligerent.

When I think about individuals who fly the Confederate flag, it becomes really personal for me. I think about some of the kids I went to middle school and high school with. I think about some of the bullies I dealt with.

Old 07-04-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Removing confederate status isn’t whitewashing history. Most people don’t even know who those statues are when they walk by.

Most of these statues are from the Jim Crow era. Neutered and having to deal with blacks getting rights; the racists used whatever means they could.

All confederate statues should be removed from Federal property. Replace them with non-traitors to the republic.
Pro-Confederate types certainly know who those Confederate figures are. All the more reason said persons want those Confederate statues to remain. For some, it certainly represents a time when racist individuals could have their way. Racist individuals of the Jim Crow era would certainly be in favor of a statue of General Lee or Alexander H. Stephens displayed tall and large in a public square, or in the U.S. Capitol. Considering how much many wanted to see Blacks "put in their place", that is what those Confederate statues represented to many.

Removing Confederate statues is a recognition that Confederate generals do not deserve to be honored.

Old 07-04-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Gibby View Post
Why the hell are there statues of traitors in the US Capitol?
Jim Crow politicians during the early 20th century lobbied for it.

Old 07-04-2021, 04:30 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,704,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Gibby View Post
Why the hell are there statues of traitors in the US Capitol?
Because the states were told they could send statues of people they wanted to honor to the capitol. So, some southern states sent statues of their confederate heroes. This was around 100 years ago. How greatly attitudes have changed since then.

Old 07-04-2021, 04:42 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,416,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Because the states were told they could send statues of people they wanted to honor to the capitol. So, some southern states sent statues of their confederate heroes. This was around 100 years ago. How greatly attitudes have changed since then.
Many of those statues and monuments were erected during the 50’s and 60’s as a public objection to Civil Rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies