Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2021, 09:34 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
In adult circles, it's known as "perspective". I also listen to Wagner, even though he was an anti-semitic bastard. Admire Picasso's art, even though he certainly had his faults. Admire Churchill's WWII statesmanship for all of of his imperialistic leanings. Because the sum of their contributions counts so much more than their flaws.

Lee? Threw in his talents and energy for a despicable cause. We should not raise statues for such as he.
Exactly.

Just as when we celebrate Charles Lindbergh, we're not celebrating Nazis, although he was one.

We're celebrating his courage and skill as a pioneering airplane pilot.

A nuance lost on some, it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 09:35 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
So based on some of these comments they only hate certain slave owners. As long as they weren’t confederate and the media isn’t asking for the removal of G.W. or other slave owners their monuments can stay. Unless you’re Antifa or BLM where anything white needs to go.

Cool. Washington is more a acceptable than the Dukes of Hazard.
did you just say that?

Old 07-08-2021, 09:44 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,967,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
In adult circles, it's known as "perspective". I also listen to Wagner, even though he was an anti-semitic bastard. Admire Picasso's art, even though he certainly had his faults. Admire Churchill's WWII statesmanship for all of of his imperialistic leanings. Because the sum of their contributions counts so much more than their flaws.

Lee? Threw in his talents and energy for a despicable cause. We should not raise statues for such as he.
And Lee did many other things for the USA too.

I guess if Lee created some music you liked or owned slaves but also created the USA, you'd be cool with him.

Sounds pretty selfish to me.

Old 07-08-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Exactly.

Just as when we celebrate Charles Lindbergh, we're not celebrating Nazis, although he was one.

We're celebrating his courage and skill as a pioneering airplane pilot.

A nuance lost on some, it seems.
And many celebrate Lee for his acumen as a general and for the battles he won for the USA even pre confederacy.

We have military establishments known for him. Duhhhhhhhh.

Did you not know that he was a great general? Do you think all he did was lead the Confederate troops in the latter part of his life?

Wow.

Old 07-08-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
And Lee did many other things for the USA too.

I guess if Lee created some music you liked or owned slaves but also created the USA, you'd be cool with him.

Sounds pretty selfish to me.
I'm willing to listen.

What other contributions did Lee make, besides being an EXCELLENT general for the traitorous confederacy, that was fighting for the purpose of keeping their slaves in bondage.

He was certainly a great general, that's true, and could dance circles around Grant. He lost the war because the south had very little in the way of supplies for war. Thank God.

Old 07-08-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
did you just say that?
What's incorrect about it? Explain. It true.

Old 07-08-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
And many celebrate Lee for his acumen as a general and for the battles he won for the USA even pre confederacy.

Did you not know that he was a great general? Do you think all he did was lead the Confederate troops in the latter part of his life?

Wow.
Well, tell me.

Are there statues of him depicting him in other ways, besides a Confederate General?

Old 07-08-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
I'm willing to listen.

What other contributions did Lee make, besides being an EXCELLENT general for the traitorous confederacy, that was fighting for the purpose of keeping their slaves in bondage.

He was certainly a great general, that's true, and could dance circles around Grant. He lost the war because the south had very little in the way of supplies for war. Thank God.
He was a key figure in the Mexican-American war and worked with US Grant during that time.

He was superintendent at West Point, fought in the Indian Wars, and is considered one of America's greatest tacticians.

He also wrote the following in regard to slavery in a letter to his wife:

In this enlightened age, there are few I believe, but what will acknowledge, that slavery as an institution, is a moral & political evil in any Country. It is useless to expatiate on its disadvantages. I think it however a greater evil to the white man than to the black race, & while my feelings are strongly enlisted in behalf of the latter, my sympathies are more strong for the former. The blacks are immeasurably better off here than in Africa, morally, socially & physically. The painful discipline they are undergoing, is necessary for their instruction as a race, & I hope will prepare & lead them to better things. How long their subjugation may be necessary is known & ordered by a wise Merciful Providence.

I'm pretty sure you book burners don't really know much about any of these people you wish to go back and cancel other than what race baiters tell you on TV.

9,639 posts, read 6,020,664 times
Quote:

Wow.
And Lee was said to be against monuments to his failed insurrection and believed it should be forgotten, not memorialized.

73,027 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
If you say so. They are already trying to tear down GW and TJ and the like.

Admit it, it will be mainstream on the book burning left soon. The confederates were the first, and easiest targets.

Once the pressure of being called a "racist" is too great, card carrying, virtuous liberal book burners will join the party.

It's inevitable and will be a real sticking point because we've based our society around these men.

You'll have to tow the party line too, likely.
I am not in favor of tearing down the statues of GW or TJ. I'm still going to be in favor of tearing down/removing ALL Confederate monuments. Telling me that some people will go after GW or TJ isn't enough to change my stance on Confederate monuments.

By the way, alot of Black people have viewed Confederate monuments negatively for a long time. Many people just didn't care what alot of Blacks had to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies