Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 01:05 PM

13,606 posts, read 4,936,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
It's going to turn into a progressive cesspool until it collapses, mostly from the entitlement mentality that will have half the population sucking from the government instead of working, or we get invaded by a superior army, such as China, and then the cycle starts anew. A natural life cycle of empires as they go through periods of growth and decay if you study history. People think this time it's different because of our technology, we shall see. Most working middle class haven't really noticed just how many people around them are already section 8 government dependents, driving up real estate and rent prices while contributing little to society. This will only fuel the continued shortages of everything.
Maybe, but I've been reading the exact thing you just wrote since the early 1970s.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:06 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Perfect example of the OP’s point. Never posted before but was so triggered by the OP’s post that you felt the need to assert he was wrong, and that you will be striving to maintain America as a white Christian conservative country by any means necessary.
It's like they think that authoritarian laws and coercion can bring back 1955 and force people to behave like they (the evangelicals) believe everyone should.

Gun laws don't work, but laws controlling what people can do with/put into their bodies or what they can say in public will?

Old 07-08-2021, 01:08 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,797,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The issue is culture, not race, and I think a big problem with the liberal narrative is that they tend to overlook this.

"White evangelical" is a specific culture. A person doesn't have to be white to conform to it. I think "born again" evangelical is a better descriptive term, but even that isn't perfect because it includes the black church which is similar in theology but doesn't subscribe to Christian nationalism in the way white evangelicals do.

On the flipside, I'd say Republicans hate white liberals the most of all and that's in fact a huge component of the anti-academia push on the right.
I agree. It is about culture and the liberal narrative overlooks this. I attend an evangelical church. Whites are a minority--by far. It's mostly hispanic, black, white, Indian, and Asian...in that order. Lots of multi-racial families like my own. The left has this all wrong, but they are very enamored with their theories about whiteness, white panic etc.

Evangelical Christians want to convert people. That's part of the religion and always has been. From my experience, evangelicals are trying to plant churches anywhere and reach anyone. Race isn't a factor.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:09 PM

25,770 posts, read 18,826,754 times
As opposed to what... a non-white, satanic majority?

It's too bad you folks are so obsessed with and down on white people who are religious. What business is it of yours? Why don't you just mind your OWN business?

Old 07-08-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
Evangelical Christians want to convert people. That's part of the religion and always has been. From my experience, evangelicals are trying to plant churches anywhere and reach anyone. Race isn't a factor.
And a certain, powerful sect of evangelical Christians (mostly white and mostly Baptist, though there are others) believe that an authoritarian state promoting faith and cracking down on behavior seen as sinful by the [Baptist] church is the best way to do this.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:13 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,416,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifttheveilnow View Post
1) Triggered in the sense of responding, not only in the context of this post, but broadly, to the reality of what's occurring in a logical, matter of fact, non sentimental fashion? Sure. What must be done must be done. Triggered in an emotional, petulant, feelings over fact outburst? No. You can't conflate the two.

2) Yes. He is wrong.

3) Yes. I will. As will millions and millions of others.

The underlying framework of your response is the assertion that I'm a "perfect example of the OP's point", which implies I'm in an emotional panic. Refer to one. My guess would be (correct me if I'm wrong, I very well may be) that you find the distinction trivial if not irrelevant, when in reality it underpins everything.
Even if it’s not emotional, you’re still factually incorrect, by almost 10 years. The percentage of white Christian Americans dipped below 50 in 2012. It currently stands around 44%.

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/08/10140...ew-study-finds

Old 07-08-2021, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
As opposed to what... a non-white, satanic majority?
Does it have to be either?

Quote:
It's too bad you folks are so obsessed with and down on white people who are religious. What business is it of yours? Why don't you just mind your OWN business?
Because white evangelicals won't mind their own business and won't stop trying to use the state to impose their religion on the entire country. As demographic change continues, they are resorting to more and more outrageous strategies to try and do so.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:16 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,797,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
And a certain, powerful sec of evangelical Christians (mostly white and mostly Baptist, though there are others) believe that an authoritarian state promoting faith and cracking down on behavior seen as sinful by the [Baptist] church is the best way to do this.
Who? If this was 1985, I would believe you. The Moral Majority and all that. But who is doing this now? Culture is ruled by liberals in 2021. Back then, the right was authoritarian. Now, the authoritarian impulse is coming from the left. It's the left that makes my college-aged daughter recite a dumb script like a puppet: "Hi my name is..... and my pronouns are" If she deviates, she will be branded a transphobe, even though she is accepting and kind and would use whatever pronouns someone asked of her. But she still has to recite the script. Most of the censorship is coming from Big tech, which isn't on the right.

8,609 posts, read 2,310,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
Brandon Tensley wrote a wonderful perspective on how conservatives have become obsessed with an academic study: critical race theory.

This obsession, in his opinion (and I agree), is a symptom of White Panic. White, Christian conservatives are witnessing an increasingly diverse nation that threatens the White, Christian status quo. To be clear, one doesn’t need to be White or Christian to subscribe to the ideology. But by and large, the vast majority who experience White Panic are themselves White and Christian.

In response to this threat, conservatives are abandoning the national conversations that matter to Americans today. Instead of focusing on repairing the economy, renewing our infrastructure, ensuring Americans are healthy and prepared for the pandemics down the road, conservatives have started a media campaign to position CRT as their defining issue. One simply has to look at the number of CRT discussions in conservative media (including this website). Conservatives are using CRT to define an ethno-nationalist agenda to keep this a White, Christian majority country, or at least that is the implied promise if you vote for them.

But America will not be a White, Christian majority country. The demographics are clear. The sooner White, Christian conservatives can accept this, the sooner our country can work together on issues that are truly important to the average American: the economy, healthcare, education debt, infrastructure, the pandemic.

Link to the article: https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/08/polit...ter/index.html
pardon me if I choose to ignore the diagnosis of a liberal Black man as it relates to White Christians. Since whites aren't allowed to tell Blacks how they do or should feel.

14,834 posts, read 7,416,761 times
Quote:
What business is it of yours?
It’s my business because they don’t confine the preaching to their churches. As we have noted, this thread is about a mainstream US political movement by the church to force public policy to continue to favor the principles of this community, and the majority of the country does not share their beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies