Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 01:51 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,579,521 times

Advertisements

I agree that a lot of leftist rhetoric is missing the point when it comes to the source of much of demographic panic on the right. Culture is the center of the controversy, not race necessarily, much like how many militia groups identify as “Western chauvinists” as opposed to “white nationalists”.

Having been raised Evangelical, I truly believe that most aren’t (intentionally) racist on an individual level. I honestly believe most aren’t even necessarily opposed to white people being less than 50% of America’s population, so long as people adopt Evangelical Christianity. But having gone on mission trips with church groups and having had these sorts of conversations dozens of times, there’s a nagging patronizing tone in their rhetoric that underlies discussions about non-white Christians. I do not, for a second, believe that white Evangelicals would ever let non-white Evangelicals have the majority within the upper echelons of their ideal of American society. And that is pretty much the definition of white supremacy. It’s why white supremacists and Evangelicals are so often in the same tent, why they both find Trump and Tucker Carlson compelling, and why they find the suggestion of reinstituting economic policies from the 50s as an existential threat.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:53 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,310,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
What you’re missing is that a majority will vote together to defend democratic principles if this ~40% plurality starts pushing theocracy or Christian nationalism.
but there's only a small portion of that 40% that believes in theocracy or Christian nationalism - certainly if you consider them to be "the official religion and teachings of the US".

Old 07-08-2021, 01:54 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,601,623 times
Barry Goldwater warned the country in the 1950s...if the religious right (evangelist) every gain political power there would be hell to pay...reason they cant and don't compromise..Politics is the art of compromise..

i am a leftist christian and very much resent what comes across as the last remnants of the confederacy evangelicals

more recently newt Gingrich started the whiny politics consider "the war on Christmas" complete non-sense..

when you consider that the republican party does not even believe in government its no mystery...

Time will tell...but i am tired of the negativity from the right as in "their way or the highway" that's not patriotic at all

Old 07-08-2021, 01:55 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,826,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I wonder if the OP damaged his keyboard salivating all over this prospect? I'm sure a few others would to. But we are the racist ones?
Indeed... funny I know a lot of "white Christians" not once have I heard a mention of or seen a sign of distress about losing the majority in this country.
Most White Christians I know are more concerned with saving the lost souls of every color, but you are right old glory it makes great fodder for the race baiters on the left.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:55 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,416,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
here I thought covet meant to be jealous of and desire to take from.
The Oxford dictionary definition is to yearn to possess or have something.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:56 PM

2,157 posts, read 1,444,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifttheveilnow View Post
Sums it up.
I'll say this. A few years ago I was a liberal and rarely thought about race. I'm now willing to die for mine.
Yup, just what the poster was talking about, in a panic for sure. "Willing to die" for you race. I'm sure you can go create a situation where you put yourself in a position to die, if that is what you want. Nothing will be accomplished of course, the country is moving away from being dominated by white culture regardless. I like the Spanish speaking people's culture a lot so I find it a good thing.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:57 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,416,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
but there's only a small portion of that 40% that believes in theocracy or Christian nationalism
Agreed, as I stated in my first post in this thread that really doesn’t carry majority support even within groups like the SBC or the Trumpist pastor would likely have won the presidency of the group.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:57 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
Barry Goldwater warned the country in the 1950s...if the religious right (evangelist) every gain political power there would be hell to pay...reason they cant and don't compromise..Politics is the art of compromise..
Here's the exact quote. Also noteworthy is that Goldwater was about as far from a liberal as you can get and he laid the groundwork for much of what would become modern conservatism.

“Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.” - Barry Goldwater.

Old 07-08-2021, 02:02 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It's like they think that authoritarian laws and coercion can bring back 1955 and force people to behave like they (the evangelicals) believe everyone should.

Gun laws don't work, but laws controlling what people can do with/put into their bodies or what they can say in public will?
What about when the conservative Hispanic Catholics gain power?

Personally, I dislike religion no matter what race or ethnicity is involved.

Old 07-08-2021, 02:06 PM

6,670 posts, read 2,977,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
our country can work together on issues that are truly important to the average American: the economy, healthcare, education debt, infrastructure, the pandemic.
So white christians don't care about these? c'mon, man.

Ok, I'll grant you the pandemic one, as there are some yokels out there that like playing with fire.

And to assert the reaction to CRT as an obsession or panic is a typical ploy to put others on the defensive.

To assert the push back is racially driven and ignoring the 'why' is disingenuous.
Stop trying to define your way into power.

You prop this CRT, among others, as some holier than thou high road thing and then act baffled and offended when others have the gall to disagree with your presuppositions.

You don't need crt to address those issues. If you really cared about the issues mentioned you wouldn't waste time on this nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies