Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 07:53 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/us/chicago-r...-shot-64-times

Got him as he walked out of the jail.

Oh, he was being released on ankle bracelet for a felon with a gun, one can only guess how many people he's shot over the years.

I was just surprised at the volume of firepower and doing it right outside the jail.
Lol...they don’t care where the hell you are. Why let him get back to his neighborhood where hitting him will be much harder?

Them Chicago boys don’t play. Sounds to me like his mouth may have been running. Snitches get holes in their britches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2021, 11:17 PM

9,976 posts, read 5,673,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
That's what I keep thinking. I never would have thought there would be so many citizens willing to help destroy the country, and to, little by little, hand over all of their rights. Sorry to sound dramatic, but with everything that is being allowed to happen, I think it's applicable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Your Mayor, Lightfoot has got to be one of the biggest jokes I've ever seen in my whole life. Crime is skyrocketing there in Chicago and she's got the absolute biggest set of balls I've even seen to sit and say that crime is down and to say that that is a fact, as she put it.

Then she doubles down and says that any criticism of her is because she's a black woman.

I thought Mayor Garcetti was a complete tool, lol, that woman takes the cake.
To be clear, Beetlejuice's Mini-Me isn't my mayor since I don't live in the city. That said my employer's office is in the Loop and we've just been informed we will resume working from the office at least part-time starting this week. I'm not looking forward to being accosted by mentally disturbed people on the CTA trains or walking past their encampments from the station to the office. And I'm hoping my office building management has implemented better security barriers after the ground-level windows were smashed out not once but twice, the second time followed up by a ransacking of the ground floor and mezzanine. The last year or so has given me a new appreciation for why so many corporate offices and retail stores abandoned downtown in the latter 20th century to set up shop in the suburbs.

A major benefit I have that you two don't: the weather here sucks, and aside from Lake Michigan -- which I rarely get to see anyway-- there are no interesting natural features here. In other words, I'm not giving up Eden to leave. It's a humid swamp in the summer and a lung-stinging icescape in the winter, so I wouldn't surrender much of anything in that respect whether I move north or south, or east or west. Now as urban environments go, Chicago has great bones, but it's a hot mess. It's like the would-be hot girl whose looks are overshadowed by the fact she's a bitchy drunk and bit-shat crazy.

So yeah, here they're ruining what could be a great city. Whereas where you are, they've ruined paradise. I have to imagine that's a lot harder to stomach.

Old 07-19-2021, 10:25 AM

3,503 posts, read 3,133,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
They likely shot him from point blank range and cops are typically not very good shots compared to rec shooters.

If it were cops they wouldn't have brought two car loads of dudes and given the volume of shots I'd suspect that this may have been his own gang.

They weren't hanging out waiting, they knew he was getting out and roughly when which isn't hard to find out.
He probably posted it on social media. He was an aspiring rapper, after all.

Old 07-19-2021, 10:44 AM

52,214 posts, read 52,642,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
To be clear, Beetlejuice's Mini-Me isn't my mayor since I don't live in the city. That said my employer's office is in the Loop and we've just been informed we will resume working from the office at least part-time starting this week. I'm not looking forward to being accosted by mentally disturbed people on the CTA trains or walking past their encampments from the station to the office. And I'm hoping my office building management has implemented better security barriers after the ground-level windows were smashed out not once but twice, the second time followed up by a ransacking of the ground floor and mezzanine. The last year or so has given me a new appreciation for why so many corporate offices and retail stores abandoned downtown in the latter 20th century to set up shop in the suburbs.

A major benefit I have that you two don't: the weather here sucks, and aside from Lake Michigan -- which I rarely get to see anyway-- there are no interesting natural features here. In other words, I'm not giving up Eden to leave. It's a humid swamp in the summer and a lung-stinging icescape in the winter, so I wouldn't surrender much of anything in that respect whether I move north or south, or east or west. Now as urban environments go, Chicago has great bones, but it's a hot mess. It's like the would-be hot girl whose looks are overshadowed by the fact she's a bitchy drunk and bit-shat crazy.

So yeah, here they're ruining what could be a great city. Whereas where you are, they've ruined paradise. I have to imagine that's a lot harder to stomach.
Ca has the honor to have the largest homeless population in the country here. It most likely is the weather being so good overall. We get hot too, but if you can get anywhere near the coast it can be decent. We don't have the nasty humidity like the mid-west does.

We have a lot of problems here, no doubt, I've been wanting to leave for a while now, even before all of the crime and homeless problems got as big as they are now. We have my GF's mother here that we can't leave as she will never want to move and she's getting pretty old now so that is a major reason right now. Despite all of the negatives in my opinion CA does have a lot going for it in terms of work, there's a good amount of jobs here and again, the weather is probably the best in the nation, in my opinion.

The crime, bad schools, crazy high prices of housing and high costs in general I can't imagine someone actually wanting to move here. There are a lot of major metro's throughout the country that can easily compete for people wanting to relocate, why they would chose CA is beyond me.

CA was in the peak of it's heyday in the 80's, I think it's been slowly deteriorating ever since.

Old 07-19-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
CA was in the peak of it's heyday in the 80's, I think it's been slowly deteriorating ever since.
Yeah, it's hard to believe today that California was once the country's Florida or Texas, a wide-open place of endless opportunity where just about anyone could put down roots and flourish. A whole lot of my family moved to SoCal in the 1940s and 50s. Some are still there but most eventually returned to the Midwest or headed to the traditional South.

Old 07-19-2021, 11:46 AM

52,214 posts, read 52,642,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fforeffort View Post
Who cares? Garbage choosing to shoot other garbage. We should just round them all up, put them in a room, and let them do their thing.
I don't know. I get this way of thinking but on the other hand it's deeply cynical really. We can't call oursevles a civilized society if we don't figure out ways to reduce this stuff. We'll never be crime free, but there is a level of things we shouldn't tolerate. The waste of humanity shouldn't be ignored.

Old 07-19-2021, 05:19 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post

Obviously you were not around Chicago in the 60’s- 70’s. before internet, social media, camera phones, security cameras, 24/7 news cycle etc

In 2000, Trump chose Chicago to build the world’s tallest building. 9/11 compelled him to settle for second tallest. It became the initial focus of The Apprentice.

Prior to 2020 Covid, Chicago and Orlando were long tied for second place after Las Vegas for most overnight visitors. These visitors spent huge $ on lodging, dining, entertainment and shopping.

Unlike say, Detroit, in years gone bye, the city has long had a diversified economy and was attracting major businesses to the city from the suburbs who did so to enable them to recruit and retain talent.

Since you are local, I assume you know the $ billion + paid out over 50 years to settle wrongful death and excessive force suits.

I am sure you are aware of the DOJ investigation into the corruption of CPD.

Since you are local, I assume you are no stranger to the Monday- Tuesday quarterbacking that follows the prior weekend’s shooting count. Mayor blames the County DA for laxness in sentencing and parole. The DA Kim Foxx, typically ignore the mayor’s remarks and fires back that CPD is not arresting enough or recovering enough illegal weapons. Foxx does not address the elephants in the room, the revolving door of criminals in the court and state prison systems. Guess recovering 12,000 + illegal firearms in a year is meaningless.

Since you are local, I am sure you are familiar with how Lightfoot vigorously opposes the Defund the Police thing and cheap bail.

There is no way to police the way out of the gang situation in Chicago.

Old 07-19-2021, 05:46 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Obviously you were not around Chicago in the 60’s- 70’s. before internet, social media, camera phones, security cameras, 24/7 news cycle etc

In 2000, Trump chose Chicago to build the world’s tallest building. 9/11 compelled him to settle for second tallest. It became the initial focus of The Apprentice.

Prior to 2020 Covid, Chicago and Orlando were long tied for second place after Las Vegas for most overnight visitors. These visitors spent huge $ on lodging, dining, entertainment and shopping.

Unlike say, Detroit, in years gone bye, the city has long had a diversified economy and was attracting major businesses to the city from the suburbs who did so to enable them to recruit and retain talent.

Since you are local, I assume you know the $ billion + paid out over 50 years to settle wrongful death and excessive force suits.

Since you are local, I assume you are no stranger to the Monday- Tuesday quarterbacking that follows the prior weekend’s shooting count. Mayor blames the County DA for laxness in sentencing and parole. The DA Kim Foxx, typically ignore the mayor’s remarks and fires back that CPD is not arresting enough or recovering enough illegal weapons. Foxx does not address the elephants in the room, the revolving door of criminals in the court and state prison systems. Guess recovering 12,000 + illegal firearms in a year is meaningless.

Since you are local, I am sure you are familiar with how Lightfoot vigorously opposes the Defund the Police thing and cheap bail.

12,000 guns is maybe 5-10mil. Back in 1999 they seized 1200KG (yes I typed that right) of cocaine, which I seriously doubt impaired anyones ability to get cocaine for long.

Fighting the supply of illegal guns to drug smuggling gangs is probably the stupidist thing I've ever heard if you are not going to meaningfully prosecute and incarcerate for gun offenses.

We constantly see guys with multiple multiple felonies and gun violations finally getting caught for a murder (after how many before that).

Old 07-19-2021, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Since I'm local and in fact know people on the CPD, I also know they've been working without a contract going on 4 years now, Lightfoot is basically micromanaging the force into near-ineffectiveness and throws them under the bus whenever it's politically convenient to do so, and consequently the force is demoralized to the point of basically giving up on policing the city. Meanwhile they've had to lower their standards at least twice now just to get enough recruits into the door for a job that used to be so prestigious they turned away thousands of applicants whenever recruiting opened up. What sort of quality police force do you think THAT scenario is going to produce in the coming years?

But hey, at least Donald Trump built a really tall building here -- goody!

You can stay behind and clap like a seal for the awesome job our ruling class is doing mismanaging the place into the dirt. The fact that so many are doing the same is precisely why we're putting our exit plan into motion.

Old 07-19-2021, 07:01 PM

493 posts, read 192,373 times
Lightfoot is a huge problem but so is Kim Foxx.

She has tried to absolve herself and her office from blame for the huge increase in shootings over the past couple years by saying her Felony Review ASAs approve 94% of gun cases CPD brings.

What she doesn’t tell anyone, and what the local media is too stupid to look into, is that the vast majority of those felony gun cases are reduced or outright dismissed when the cases get to court.

There are very few consequences to violating gun laws in Cook County, and the gang-bangers and other criminals know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies