Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 06:19 AM

1,665 posts, read 975,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
The only surprising thing here is they didn't kill a bunch of innocent bystanders for a change. Its good to see no 7 year old were killed during this.....for a change.
That's what you call responsible gun control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2021, 07:50 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,136,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Obviously you were not around Chicago in the 60’s- 70’s. before internet, social media, camera phones, security cameras, 24/7 news cycle etc

In 2000, Trump chose Chicago to build the world’s tallest building. 9/11 compelled him to settle for second tallest. It became the initial focus of The Apprentice.

Prior to 2020 Covid, Chicago and Orlando were long tied for second place after Las Vegas for most overnight visitors. These visitors spent huge $ on lodging, dining, entertainment and shopping.

Unlike say, Detroit, in years gone bye, the city has long had a diversified economy and was attracting major businesses to the city from the suburbs who did so to enable them to recruit and retain talent.

Since you are local, I assume you know the $ billion + paid out over 50 years to settle wrongful death and excessive force suits.

I am sure you are aware of the DOJ investigation into the corruption of CPD.

Since you are local, I assume you are no stranger to the Monday- Tuesday quarterbacking that follows the prior weekend’s shooting count. Mayor blames the County DA for laxness in sentencing and parole. The DA Kim Foxx, typically ignore the mayor’s remarks and fires back that CPD is not arresting enough or recovering enough illegal weapons. Foxx does not address the elephants in the room, the revolving door of criminals in the court and state prison systems. Guess recovering 12,000 + illegal firearms in a year is meaningless.

Since you are local, I am sure you are familiar with how Lightfoot vigorously opposes the Defund the Police thing and cheap bail.

There is no way to police the way out of the gang situation in Chicago.
There was an initiative a decade or so ago, in an effort to get rid of the gangs, a joint task force took a bunch of the big gang leaders/shot callers off of the street. (I think using RICO)
What happened is these fairly monolithic gangs with subsets splintered into a bunch of decentralized smaller sets, all at odds with each other which plunged the situation further into chaos. Where treaties/alliances could be arranged in the past, without clear leadership, none of those peacekeeping (I use that term loosely) tools were available anymore. The old gangsters used to live by some kind of marginal code, but the pee-wees are completely impulse driven and don't give a crap about anything.
Social media has inflamed the situation even worse with never ending beef on line, and every aspiring rapper calling out his rivals on YouTube (and often revealing the very location that they can come gun them down at leisure)

Talk about unintended consequences.

Last edited by quigboto; 07-20-2021 at 08:32 AM..

Old 07-20-2021, 08:08 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Since I'm local and in fact know people on the CPD, I also know they've been working without a contract going on 4 years now, Lightfoot is basically micromanaging the force into near-ineffectiveness and throws them under the bus whenever it's politically convenient to do so, and consequently the force is demoralized to the point of basically giving up on policing the city. Meanwhile they've had to lower their standards at least twice now just to get enough recruits into the door for a job that used to be so prestigious they turned away thousands of applicants whenever recruiting opened up. What sort of quality police force do you think THAT scenario is going to produce in the coming years?

But hey, at least Donald Trump built a really tall building here -- goody!

You can stay behind and clap like a seal for the awesome job our ruling class is doing mismanaging the place into the dirt. The fact that so many are doing the same is precisely why we're putting our exit plan into motion.
You're talking to the cheerleader for Chicago, someone who lives and works in Barrington.

Everything you've stated is right on.

Old 07-20-2021, 08:25 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeGee7 View Post
Lightfoot is a huge problem but so is Kim Foxx.

She has tried to absolve herself and her office from blame for the huge increase in shootings over the past couple years by saying her Felony Review ASAs approve 94% of gun cases CPD brings.

What she doesn’t tell anyone, and what the local media is too stupid to look into, is that the vast majority of those felony gun cases are reduced or outright dismissed when the cases get to court.

There are very few consequences to violating gun laws in Cook County, and the gang-bangers and other criminals know it.
Not to worry, Lightfoot said crime is going down.

Old 07-20-2021, 08:26 AM

3,080 posts, read 3,265,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
There was an initiative a decade or so ago, in an effort to get rid of the gangs, a joint task force took a bunch of the big gang leaders/shot callers off of the street. (I think using RICO)
What happened is these fairly monolithic gangs with subsets splintered into a bunch of decentralized smaller sets, all at odds with each other which plunged the situation further into chaos. Where treaties/alliances could be arranged in the past, without clear leadership. None of those peacekeeping (I use that term loosely) tools were available anymore. The old gangsters used to live by some kind of marginal code, but the pee-wees are completely impulse driven and don't give a crap about anything.
Social media has inflamed the situation even worse with never ending beef on line, and every aspiring rapper calling out his rivals on YouTube (and often revealing the very location that they can come gun them down at leisure)

Talk about unintended consequences.
The irony of course is that this is basically the same scenario as our war on drugs and war against terrorism. We knock out a leader and it ends up leaving a bigger mess. Take out the leader of a cartel, and the cartel splits into multiple factions. Take out the leader of a terrorist cell, and that cell splits as well.

Can't treat these things as snakes, cutting off the head doesn't kill the beast, but rather like a hydra where cutting off the head just gives rise to multiple smaller heads.

Those who ignore the lessons of history .....

Old 07-20-2021, 08:29 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/us/chicago-r...-shot-64-times

Got him as he walked out of the jail.

Oh, he was being released on ankle bracelet for a felon with a gun, one can only guess how many people he's shot over the years.

I was just surprised at the volume of firepower and doing it right outside the jail.
It was in Cook County, do we really need to be surprised at the lawlessness in that county?

Old 07-20-2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
It was in Cook County, do we really need to be surprised at the lawlessness in that county?
I'm one of the very very few posters that actually lived in that county and am well aware of it.

Of course this is subject to each persons own opinion but based upon my experience it was a very brazen hit. (This is not normal even in CC)

But, if other people care to disagree and can recall other instances of guys getting shot 50-60+ times outside of Cook County or other prison faciliites around the area as they walked out then I stand corrected.

I wouldn't be starting a thread if the dude had been shot 5 times in his home a day after release.

Old 07-20-2021, 11:02 AM

9,983 posts, read 5,684,706 times
^^ I think what most posters don't understand is 26th and Cal isn't just the county jail, but the main Cook County Courthouse, so the place is typically crawling with law enforcement from all kinds of jurisdictions.

Of course, the fact nobody has even been arrested yet suggests maybe it wasn't so brazen after all?

Old 07-20-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
^^ I think what most posters don't understand is 26th and Cal isn't just the county jail, but the main Cook County Courthouse, so the place is typically crawling with law enforcement from all kinds of jurisdictions.

Of course, the fact nobody has even been arrested yet suggests maybe it wasn't so brazen after all?
CPD knows who did it. A hit can be brazen in nature, it doesn't mean it has to be incriminating.

Old 07-20-2021, 07:16 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Laws don't work when you just throw an ankle bracelet on someone and say you'll see them in a few years as you dole out repeated wrist slaps for felons with guns.

Heck, Chicago has 90 guys out awaiting MURDER trial wearing ankle bracelets lol.

Make all the laws you want, but when the city leaders and politically charged DA's decide they're just going to drop charges and give wrist slaps it doesn't matter.
In short, poor enforcement of such laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies