Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what would it take for you to lose it ? masks coming back ? lockdowns? or do you not care?
even if only the masks came back id lose it 45 28.13%
it would have to be at least the lockdowns 28 17.50%
i dont care either way 72 45.00%
i love lockdowns and masks 15 9.38%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 01:00 PM

35,301 posts, read 17,191,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
The mask theater of wearing a mask to get up from the table at a restaurant to walk out the door seems ridiculous to go back to that charade again.

I'm not sure that public mask mandates are going to do anything at this point, as I venture to guess that the unvaccinated people catching and spreading COVID are probably doing it in places where they wouldn't be or won't wear a mask anyways, like hanging out in private homes, living situations, private gatherings, etc.

I feel like an awful lot of people and businesses are going to be pretty lax in actual use or enforcement of any mask mandates this time around, as I live in a "purple" area that is borders on deep red areas in the surrounding counties and rural areas.
I suspect that the coming re-maskings and lockdowns are an effort for governmental officials to appear as if they are "doing something" about the spread of COVID. The fact is no one knows why the spread ebbs and flows, and why variants appear. The trouble with this kind of "public health theater" is that it imposes real economic and psychic costs. Further it promotes the further unraveling of societal norms. It may cost some illness and some, but fewer lives but we cannot continue to live under a smile-less pall.

Old 07-27-2021, 01:08 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,549,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I suspect that the coming re-maskings and lockdowns are an effort for governmental officials to appear as if they are "doing something" about the spread of COVID. The fact is no one knows why the spread ebbs and flows, and why variants appear. The trouble with this kind of "public health theater" is that it imposes real economic and psychic costs. Further it promotes the further unraveling of societal norms. It may cost some illness and some, but fewer lives but we cannot continue to live under a smile-less pall.
It also provides a convenient justification to provide more federal bailouts to Democrat states that are fully supportive of the current regime and its agenda.

These maneuvers are a planned pretext and a springboard for more bailouts to Democrat states and other political favorites.

Old 07-27-2021, 01:08 PM

35,301 posts, read 17,191,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
"Lose it"?? People seriously need more to worry about or you lead very boring lives (which may be a plus I suppose).

1 - we were never really in a "lockdown". Anyone who thinks we were needs to open up a newspaper from another part of the world and see what a lockdown really looks like.

2 - I hated wearing a mask, but if I'm asked to, I will. It's a stupid piece of fabric on my face. Don't make a big deal about something so ridiculous.
This dumb canard again, as if mass house arrest was just a totally normal and reasonable reaction, and we Americans should be falling over ourselves to show gratitude for being somewhat exempt from it. Trying to liken it to having gotten the EZ Pass and most of the rest of the world having had to wait in line for the tolls...when the reality is, the roads should be free for everyone.
This masking is pure theater. If the politicians need to demonstrate action, let them do something real such as encouraging vaccination. Not this theater.

We know it's theater when Lori Lightfoot and Nanci Pelosi get their hair done when hair salons are shut, and Governor Whitner's husband puts the family boat in the water when the peasants cannot. If it were so dangerous to be out and about they wouldn't endanger their own lives.

Old 07-27-2021, 01:26 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,054,938 times
No problem with masks but wouldn't it better to vaccinate those crossing the border into the country? Seems like one step forward, two steps back if you keep allowing a steady stream of unvaccinated people entering the country.

Old 07-27-2021, 01:26 PM

15,949 posts, read 12,330,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
It also provides a convenient justification to provide more federal bailouts to Democrat states that are fully supportive of the current regime and its agenda.

These maneuvers are a planned pretext and a springboard for more bailouts to Democrat states and other political favorites.

South Dakota has a near record budget surplus also. This isn't about democrat states getting more money, it's about corrupt politicians on both sides wanting excuses to not have to give up their heroin addiction (unlimited QE, handouts to their buddies, getting paid to not work, and of course the juice they get from playing authoritarian and being able to tell people what to do.)... regardless of the long term repercussions they want to print their way to prosperity and want something for nothing.

At least we know the vaccines are working. I'm not going to nag the anti-vaccine types to get their jab though. I'm not an authoritarian. I'll let the nanny staters do that. I've already told people here what I would do.. cut off insurance for anything covid related for the unvaccinated. Make them have to pay out of pocket if they get covid and need a ventilator or hospital stay. After all, they willingly chose not to take a treatment that could have prevented the hospital stay entirely, so they should have to pay the $150,000 hospital bill.

That means I'd have to include both my mother and father in this because neither of them will get vaccinated. My father would though if the insurance rule was made. My mother would still risk it. She reads GLP and has swallowed the anti-vaccine kool aid posted there, and I don't nag her about it. She can do as she wishes.

Last edited by sholomar; 07-27-2021 at 01:36 PM..

Old 07-27-2021, 01:29 PM

3,525 posts, read 1,433,824 times
Well it's official now...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/27/polit...nce/index.html

Old 07-27-2021, 02:11 PM

42,004 posts, read 75,373,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
God, this is what we're catering to. Sheeple who'll blindly follow any and all...as long as it has "science" in front of it.
You have to understand the process before you can question it. You clearly don't understand the scientific method; how can you question it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
As should we all. The Constitutional authority of "emergency powers" is debatable at best. I am rather dismayed that there isn't a deeper and more pervasive legal debate on this very issue, at this very moment.
Why should there be any legal debate on a CDC recommendation? That's all it is: a recommendation.

Old 07-27-2021, 03:11 PM

14,969 posts, read 9,867,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
We've been given tools.

It's up to each person, individually, to use them.
That is a non sequitur.

Either you agree or you don't... so why not take a shot.

Old 07-27-2021, 03:33 PM

3,462 posts, read 1,589,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotzette View Post
Well you can see the obvious agenda MissT right??

Something is amiss with this so called "vaccine" which is why they are pushing it so hard and WHY IT IS FREE!! (Most people do not see anything amiss which is very sad)
People are dying from the "vaccine" and they are censoring anyone pointing this out. Whether Twitter or Facebook or other sites.

Old 07-27-2021, 03:58 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,252,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
There is no way I could ever live again where those mandates were in place. I figure its just a matter of time until the next pandemic occurs. This one is not even close to ending as it is. Smaller towns are the way to go. Nicer to live in even without worrying about masks, etc.
One of my kids lives in a small town that resists masking and vaccinations. Covid infections have greatly increased. And the delta variant gas got a firm foothold. Don’t you understand? You cannot hide from this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies