Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2021, 02:43 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Simone Biles is far stronger, physically, then I ever have been or ever can hope to be. Physically speaking, she is about as far from weak as it's possible to be. Mentally? One would have to be able to enter into her head to make that determination. But morally speaking, yes, she is weak. She is weak because she quit on her teammates at the worst possible time, right during the Olympics, the event for which they had trained for most of their lives.

If she had quit before the Olympics and let someone else take her place, I would respect her for knowing when it was time to step down and doing so. If she had persevered through the team events and then quit, I would respect her even more as someone who is as morally strong as she is physically strong. But quitting when she did, I cannot respect that. And yes, I will call her weak for that.

Yes, yes, and yes.

There is nothing wrong with having mental/emotional issues. But she had to have known she was on shaky ground prior to going to the games. Ignoring that and going forward, which deprived someone else of the opportunity, was not the right choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 02:58 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
The slobbering over her is off the charts.

She was their (the Fake News') Golden Girl - she was the "Chosen One" likely because she checked off many of the appropriate identity boxes.
You must not follow gymnastics.

She was the "chosen one" because she could do gymnastic feats that no other gymnast has even attempted.

And when you look at her, I guess you just see demographics. Not physical prowess and daring, that are more important than any "boxes" she checked.

Old 07-28-2021, 03:06 PM

6,344 posts, read 2,898,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I remember when female gymnasts could be raped by their team physicians, report it, and have nothing done about it.

What's your point? That's it's cool to abuse athletes as long as they're bringing home medals?
People watch athletes to see the competitive spirit, not to see a bunch of whining crybabies. Now every time a female athlete loses she's going to blame her loss on someone sexually abusing her. Yeah, this will be great for women's sports.

Old 07-28-2021, 03:07 PM

9,742 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
And I will repeat - they make millions but spend so much money training their whole lives that they're in debt by the time they get to the Olympics.

He may have made 80 million - he's not worth 80 million.

Stop believing everything you read on the internet.
I will repeat. He is RICH. He makes about $10M a year..... STILL with sponsorship deals with Kellogg, Colgate, Louis Vuitton, Omega, Speedo, Under Armour, and even Visa. Add in speaking engagements too. https://www.scmp.com/magazines/style...rer-usain-bolt

Now if you want to say 98% of all Olympic athletes are in debt and spent a bundle on training, that makes sense to me. But he is worth MILLIONS because he still makes MILLIONS. In fact, he just sold one of his homes for millions in Paradise Valley which is down the road from my winter home.

There is this thing called investments that build wealth too. I have more money (net worth) than all the money I made at work.

Old 07-28-2021, 03:10 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
People watch athletes to see the competitive spirit, not to see a bunch of whining crybabies. Now every time a female athlete loses she's going to blame her loss on someone sexually abusing her. Yeah, this will be great for women's sports.
You really think that, the bolded? Really?

Simone was one of four children born to a drug addicted alcoholic mother, and an absent father.

She spent at least 3 years in Foster Care before she was adopted with a sibling by her grandfather, and his wife.

And she's gone on to be what could be argued the best athlete of all time.

I'd say that's some competitive spirit, right there.

Old 07-28-2021, 03:12 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,028,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Yup, well said Mathguy.

Not even close. A first ballot hof player shows out when the pressure is on. Very few people care about gymnastics when it's not in the olympics. trash humans are ruing this for people who are actually good and care that they represent a certain country

Old 07-28-2021, 03:15 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,028,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
You really think that, the bolded? Really?

Simone was one of four children born to a drug addicted alcoholic mother, and an absent father.

She spent at least 3 years in Foster Care before she was adopted with a sibling by her grandfather, and his wife.

And she's gone on to be what could be argued the best athlete of all time.

I'd say that's some competitive spirit, right there.

not even close to the greatest athlete of all time. She couldn't do any other sport where others can impede how good you are. She's a good gymnast but nowhere near a goat of anything

Old 07-28-2021, 03:21 PM

9,742 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
What an idiotic comment. If your son gets molested multiple times by a priest, he better not be "weak" and have mental health issues. Because there is no excuse. What would mascoma's technique be: to slap him alongside his head and tell him to GD toughen up! Dude, I'm impressed with your mental and physical toughness! Simone could learn from you with all of your accomplishments in life!

Old 07-28-2021, 03:21 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Your post makes no sense. She didn't lose and isn't blaming anything on having been sexually abused. She competed and won for years after being sexually assaulted. This week she had an experience while doing her vault that convinced her it wasn't safe to continue competing. You think she should have sucked it up and risked serious injury so she could entertain you with her competitive spirit.

Guess what? She's not a trained monkey. She's an adult woman who gets to decide for herself when and where she wants to compete.

And women speaking about against sexual assault isn't whining. Whining is complaining that you're not able to see "the competitive spirit" because an athlete decided to step away rather than risk breaking her neck.

Old 07-28-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
not even close to the greatest athlete of all time. She couldn't do any other sport where others can impede how good you are. She's a good gymnast but nowhere near a goat of anything
Other sports commentators feel differently than you do. Paid professional ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies