Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2021, 08:38 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times

Advertisements

Here's the article I referenced above. A fall is not just a little tumble.

https://www.inverse.com/science/the-...0%99s%20weight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 08:41 AM

147 posts, read 60,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
ZZZZZZZZZZ. Anyone could say this about anything.

Her chances of getting paralyzed are one in a billion. Stop being silly with this garbage.

She didn't answer the bell. EVEN THAT IS OKAY! She just shouldn't be rewarded for it, like today's society is desperate to do.

People shouldn't be scrambling to say "She could have been paralyzed." That's EXCEPTIONALLY unlikely.

Again: If Tom Brady said hey man, I quit because I could have been paralyzed, he'd be skewered.

And he probably has a much better chance of being paralyzed that a gymnast!

Come on! Stop trying to find silly excuses.
You're a lay person, speaking about something that you have no knowledge of. I trained in gymnastics for several years as a child and understand very well, what happens when you are uncoordinated and out of sync mentally and physically.

After a horrible fall, I wore a brace for nearly 3 years, and still suffer from the outcome of that fall in my 30s. At the end of the day, there was no glory for me, for pushing myself to the max, even when I knew, I shouldn't have.

My life was heavily impacted by that fall. Due to that fall, I will not be able to have children of my own.

I would never recommend that parents put their child in gymnastics, but obviously people are going to do what they want..

Old 07-29-2021, 08:43 AM

1,768 posts, read 568,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
That's the point though, SHE DOESN'T CARE! There are no consequences like there would have been 20 years ago!

That's the point of this whole thread! She's being REWARDED NOW! Because as a society we've become very soft..

Did the entire point of this thread go over your head? Instead of personal attacks, you should re-read and try to understand the point of it all!

It took no courage for her to do what she did. She knew she'd be applauded and could make another me, me, me spectacle. She knew no one would criticize her. That's the society we've built nowadays. Quit on your team, make it all about you, and you'll be rewarded. (That's why I said she's a genius!). She's spun a situation where she should have been heavily criticized and her career ruined just a few short years ago into something where she's MORE famous!

Did this really all go over your head?
Should she be publicly executed for upsetting you or is whipping sufficient?

Old 07-29-2021, 08:46 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Why are so many people still talking about Simone Biles?

Sunrisa Lee won the gold medal for the US last night! I feel like more people ought to be talking about THAT.

Just my two cents on the matter.
She certainly did a great job on the parallel bars - looked better than ever before. I will say, in the past, she didn't have that ability that most gifted athletes have to make it look effortless. It always looked to me like a big heave-ho that she was barely able to get through.

But not last night. This looks really fabulous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f08Doq8ob-w

Old 07-29-2021, 08:50 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Because Simone Biles is considered among the G.O.A.T.S., not just a former champion in a year of lighter competition, and now the previous definition of a goat is being applied to her. At the moment Sunrisa Lee is just the latest champion but has not broken through to superstardom like say a Nadia Comaneci did in 1976
All these things about Biles are true, but at the end of the day she dropped out, and one of her lesser-known teammates went on to win the Gold. That’s a story worthy of discussing today.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:54 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
She certainly did a great job on the parallel bars - looked better than ever before. I will say, in the past, she didn't have that ability that most gifted athletes have to make it look effortless. It always looked to me like a big heave-ho that she was barely able to get through. But not last night. This looks really fabulous. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f08Doq8ob-w
Is she flashing gang signs? Her left hand shows five fingers, and her right hand is doing the V symbol for the roman numeral 5. Was she flashing the gang sign for the 55 Neighborhood Crips

Well, at least she wasn't doing the white supremacist "OK" sign.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:54 AM

6,995 posts, read 2,709,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
1) I had a kid in gymnastics for many years and saw all the injuries the team had.
2) common sense

Do you want to bounce on a mat so you're almost 10' off the ground and miss execution so you land the wrong way? A physicist once broke out what she does and said the impact force from landing is 382 pounds of force. You want to hit the ground at that force and snap your neck?

It sounds like you're not connecting any dots here - you're just outraged by it all. Get some fresh air instead of letting your blood boil over something that doesn't effect you.
So should gymnastics be banned because its dangerous? Playgrounds have already eliminated monkey bars.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:58 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,966,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gia_inNova View Post
You're a lay person, speaking about something that you have no knowledge of. I trained in gymnastics for several years as a child and understand very well, what happens when you are uncoordinated and out of sync mentally and physically.

After a horrible fall, I wore a brace for nearly 3 years, and still suffer from the outcome of that fall in my 30s. At the end of the day, there was no glory for me, for pushing myself to the max, even when I knew, I shouldn't have.

My life was heavily impacted by that fall. Due to that fall, I will not be able to have children of my own.

I would never recommend that parents put their child in gymnastics, but obviously people are going to do what they want..
What's this have to do with what we're talking about?

I can give you ten million people with anecdotes of how they were injured in football too.

What's that have to do with quitting on your team and being called a hero by the media?

Old 07-29-2021, 08:59 AM

12,388 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
All these things about Biles are true, but at the end of the day she dropped out, and one of her lesser-known teammates went on to win the Gold. That’s a story worthy of discussing today.
Why? Superstars reach all demographic groups while stars are only interesting to their world. So we all discuss the superstar while those interested in the single sport discuss the star in their world.

Unless someone falls I rarely can see any difference between first and fifth place in any of these judged sports so until the personality of the star bust through she is just like a tree falling in an empty forest.

Old 07-29-2021, 09:00 AM

1,768 posts, read 568,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
So should gymnastics be banned because its dangerous? Playgrounds have already eliminated monkey bars.
Individual moves in gymnastics are banned for safety reasons.

Quote:
Roll-out skills have been banned in women’s gymnastics for a while because of how precise the landing must be in order to avoid neck injury. They were banned in men’s gymnastics as well in the 2017-2020 Code of Points because of the same safety concerns. This difficult landing has caused injuries for multiple gymnasts, most notably Elena Mukhina, who broke her neck and became quadriplegic because of the Thomas Salto.

Or shadow banned by giving them low point values to discourage gymnasts from trying them.

Quote:
The women’s technical committee of the Federation Internationale de Gymnastique (FIG), the sport’s governing body, said the downgrade in difficulty is to prevent gymnasts – predominantly from countries looking to break through on the world stage – from attempting the risky skill to bolster their score. “In assigning values to the new elements, the WTC (women’s technical committee) takes into consideration many different aspects; the risk, the safety of the gymnasts and the technical direction of the discipline,” they said in a statement. This is commonly seen with performances of the Produnova vault (front handspring onto the table, two front somersaults off), the hardest in gymnastics, known for its deadly potential:a slightly skewed run and launch can mean landing squarely on the neck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies