Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 04:32 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,152,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Ya if you meet the academic requirements you should be able to go to Harvard. Only 4 percent get accepted into harvard.colleges have no business mandating vaccines nor preschools . If I was a governor I'd stop all vaccine mandates for colleges or any institution.

The problem in her case is she lost all her scholarships. I'm ok with even stricter academic requirements but zero vaccine ones.
You have to know that isn't the case. Lots of brilliant, accomplished high schoolers get rejection letters every year from Ivy League schools. As I said, I feel for the young woman, but if she can't meet the conditions for in-person attendance, she's out of luck. As I mentioned, my kids had to submit proof of vaccination to be in-person on campus, too. I hope she's able to pursue admission to one of the other BYU campuses with looser vaccination requirements.

Old 07-28-2021, 04:42 PM

4,393 posts, read 1,701,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Leftist nuttiness in academia.

Not surprising.
At BYU? LOL

Old 07-28-2021, 04:42 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,552,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
You do not have a "right" to a particular college education. There are all sorts of conditions for admission; otherwise, anybody could attend Harvard. BYU-H has made the suggestion that she look at one of their other campuses, and that's what she needs to do. My kids had to submit proof of vaccination to return to their state universities for in-person classes, and my husband's employer required proof of vaccination, too. I feel badly for her, but it is what it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
You have to know that isn't the case. Lots of brilliant, accomplished high schoolers get rejection letters every year from Ivy League schools. As I said, I feel for the young woman, but if she can't meet the conditions for in-person attendance, she's out of luck. As I mentioned, my kids had to submit proof of vaccination to be in-person on campus, too. I hope she's able to pursue admission to one of the other BYU campuses with looser vaccination requirements.
Yes I know lots of students who are brilliant get rejected to ivy league schools. Yes she can attend the other schools but she might have lost her scholarships permently.

Old 07-28-2021, 04:45 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,114,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Seems like they are being dishonest with the story then. Do both of those campuses offer the same degrees? I remember reading what she was majoring in but I forgot. Maybe her scholarship was only for that university and they did not let her know about the mandate till June so she loses the scholarship and does not have the money to go to the other schools. I'll get to the bottom of this. I think the main problem is losing the scholarship. So it looks like yes she can attend the other schools but she lost all of her scholarship money.
They likely do have majors she would want and more. BYU-H is the smallest one by far, with about 3K students. BYU-I has about 19K, and the main BYU campus in Utah has about 33K. The latter is harder to get into, but Idaho has about the same acceptance rate.

Old 07-28-2021, 05:00 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
BYU has other campuses that don't have a vaccine mandate. She is free to choose one of those instead of trying to make herself into a faux martyr for antivaxxers

Old 07-28-2021, 05:05 PM

13,075 posts, read 7,515,583 times
Most of my dreams never came to fruition.
I can't help everyone make their dreams come to fruition.

Why does OP think this student is entitled?

Old 07-28-2021, 05:25 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,812,094 times
This is exactly why the people who are for mandatory vaccines are ignorant. I mentioned before about medical exemptions being strict and now you have an actual doctor who gave a medical exemption and they still won't accept it?
I have no opinion about whether it's bad that she was denied the right to go to college (as college did not do anything for me but I didn't go to a traditional college either so maybe not my place to say) but if they're starting this at colleges, it may be just the beginning of losing our rights. I don't want to be all doomsday or Negative Nancy but it is very concerning where we seem to be headed.

Old 07-28-2021, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Most of my dreams never came to fruition.
I can't help everyone make their dreams come to fruition.

Why does OP think this student is entitled?
It's simple the main problem here is not that she can't attend the byu Hawaii it's that the school made her lose her scholarship by giving the notice to late in June. It says it all if you watch the video.

Old 07-28-2021, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
This is exactly why the people who are for mandatory vaccines are ignorant. I mentioned before about medical exemptions being strict and now you have an actual doctor who gave a medical exemption and they still won't accept it?
I have no opinion about whether it's bad that she was denied the right to go to college (as college did not do anything for me but I didn't go to a traditional college either so maybe not my place to say) but if they're starting this at colleges, it may be just the beginning of losing our rights. I don't want to be all doomsday or Negative Nancy but it is very concerning where we seem to be headed.
Ya it amazes me how no matter how authoritarian we get some say what's the big deal? Not having exemptions means people will die if they can not safely take a drug. Hell at some point they could require all female college students to be on birth control pills or everyone has to take Prozac.

Old 07-28-2021, 05:47 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,656,110 times
Lmao at people thinking BYU is leftist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies