Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2021, 12:09 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,813,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
False.

I’ve worked with a lot of people over the last 22 years. Most of them were lazy pieces of garbage.

The few willing to work hard (white, black, men, women, college educated, not college educated) have all done very well for themselves.

I have never even one time in my life met a hard working person who couldn’t get ahead.

This is the number one reason why I vote Republican. I’ve seen hard work pay off for so many people, from very diverse backgrounds.
Well consider me one you just met.
Maybe they are lazy because they are jaded/frustrated like I am. As I expressed earlier, hard work never pays off for me. In fact the harder I work the less it gets me. I used to work so hard at making money that I would delay taking care of bodily functions and I would do this if I had to estimate an average of 25 cents an hour.
I'm probably not allowed to say anymore if I'm even allowed to say this so I'll just leave it at that but if you want to know more you can PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I disagree, I've seen plenty of people work themselves into an early grave with not much to show for it, so I can counter your anecdote with a different one
I literally had suicidal thoughts from working at my job and this is coming from someone who has thanatophobia. It wasn't just working hard. I wish that is what it was because I'd rather actually do actual work at my job. It was prison as I was working my entire soul. All for close to freakin minimum wage. So you can just imagine how tired I am of people saying all you have to do to get a decent job is work hard especially when I've already said my piece enough times that it should sink in that someone who is an example of hard work not paying off exists!

Last edited by Nickchick; 08-04-2021 at 12:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 12:13 PM

6,997 posts, read 2,717,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
The dems will either figure out a way to extend it....

...or have this bomb drop right before their election in Nov
They want to get this into the Christmas season and then dare the GOP to fight them on an extension right before the mid-term elections. All the Democrats care about are "optics".

Old 08-04-2021, 12:14 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,604,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
As CDC’s Eviction Moratorium Ends, States Prepare for Flood of Cases
(photo)
Brandon Moore, store manager of a Dollar General in northeast Fort Worth, Texas, stands outside his workplace, which is located in an area with high eviction rates and low COVID-19 vaccination rates.

"FORT WORTH, Texas — Brandon Moore, 31, has received at least three eviction notices from his landlord since last summer, when his wife lost her retail job. None of these notices included information about a nationwide eviction moratorium or the $46 billion in rental assistance available for families financially affected by COVID-19."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
he's 31 and has six children. He also hasn't been vaxxed and doesn't plan to, nor has his wife or any of the kids (if any of the 6 are eligible).

Some states have decided it's incumbent on the landlord to tell the tenant what is involved with eviction, and how they can avoid it. Of course "pay your rent as agreed" is not likely on there. Nor is "communicate with your landlord so they understand your situation".
Quote:
he's 31 and has six children. He also hasn't been vaxxed and doesn't plan to, nor has his wife or any of the kids (if any of the 6 are eligible).
They are enjoying the freedoms they have left and you seem to have an issue with that. Let me guess --- you want us to be a, show me your passport, country. (Hitlers Germany) You see nothing wrong with it?
Quote:
Some states have decided it's incumbent on the landlord to tell the tenant what is involved with eviction, and how they can avoid it. Of course "pay your rent as agreed" is not likely on there. Nor is "communicate with your landlord so they understand your situation".
First let me point out one more time, that if the government hadn't (torn a page from Germany's playbook) shut it down and had let people continue about their days, working and earning a living --- this would not be going on. What we have here is the result of the government management of our lives.

Second the communication goes two ways --- none of the eviction notices Moore received had any information that included rent relief. What transpired since then is ...

"Some states are working to ensure tenants like Moore have the information they need to find help. Last week, Maine passed a bill that would direct landlords to attach a plain-language letter explaining the eviction process, as well as options for legal assistance and rent relief, to eviction notices."

Another issue was the landlords did not want to participate in the relief programs, and because of that ---

"The new guidelines clarified eligibility, eliminated paperwork and allowed renters to apply even if landlords chose not to participate."

CBS This Morning also reports on this including, United States deputy secretary of the treasury, Wally Adeyemo, statement.

Eviction moratorium expires this week

--- "As a result, more rental relief money has been allocated, but there hasn’t been enough time to reach all the renters and landlords who need it, Yentel said."

In summary, "Pay your rent as agreed", even though you were not able (government mandates) to work between the months of March 2020 - December 2020, figure it out. And as a landlord, we will ignore (government mandates) that you were unable to work between the months of March 2020 - December 2020, figure it out and tell your story walking.

This is what happens when people let their government manage their lives and the last I checked CDC is not the Supreme Court --- but of course no one learned anything from this whole fiasco, and they are doing what they do best ...

Syracuse landlord publicly shames tenants for owing rent during pandemic: ‘This is outrageous’

Old 08-04-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
My guess is by only extending this new "ban" on evictions (however limited) only for sixty days Biden and democrats are hoping things will squeak by before any federal court, much less SCOTUS gets involved.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/03/u...e=articleShare

Problem is democrats and Congress created this monster, and now they've got to find a way to get it back into its coffin.

When you tell people they don't have to pay rent and cannot be touched for over a year, human nature being what it is plenty are going to take advantage. This even for those who could, would and should have been evicted prior to March 2021 or months afterwards for various legal reasons (such as nonpayment of rent).

You have renters who haven't paid a GD dime for 18 months or more, and don't have anyway of doing so. Their only Hail Mary is if they get a taste of that federal money which states are slowly paying out.

OTOH both federal and state governments are dangerously close in violating takings clause of USC. Health crisis or not neither can get away with depriving businesses of legally entitled income, and or interfering with private contracts without issuing some sort of compensation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Problem is democrats and Congress created this monster, and now they've got to find a way to get it back into its coffin.
The people's and government's reaction to COVID, created this monster. Do you need a replay of 2020?

Old 08-04-2021, 12:31 PM

9,898 posts, read 4,663,177 times
I'm still having issues with all these future homeless. Didn't they get unemployment, bonus money to those checks, stimulus check etc. And might even be back at work. Sounds like some of these people would struggling 5 years ago or 5 years from now. I don't think all this virus related.

Old 08-04-2021, 12:32 PM

18,474 posts, read 8,303,847 times
Quote:
"As a result, more rental relief money has been allocated, but there hasn’t been enough time to reach all the renters and landlords who need it, Yentel said."
...this is 100% total bullS***.....they are sitting on over $40 BILLION....$40 BILLION that was allocated to pay landlords

$40 BILLION they have not spent......

The "government" mailed out checks in days......why isn't this money in the hands of the landlords right now?

Why were people told they didn't have to pay rent....and the government sent the checks to them?

Old 08-04-2021, 12:37 PM

43,156 posts, read 18,318,340 times
Quote:
Well what would you think when you managed to increase your income by 2 1/2 times in a 4 year period (38k to 87k), yet home prices shot up almost the exact same rate? Improved yourself just to tread water. And for the many less fortunate than myself, imagine how much worse it is for them!
Do you think this is the only time in history this has happened ?

Back in the 80's mortgage rates were 18-20%.
It wasn't the home people could not afford...it was the mortgage payment.

Old 08-04-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
I'm still having issues with all these future homeless. Didn't they get unemployment, bonus money to those checks, stimulus check etc. And might even be back at work. Sounds like some of these people would struggling 5 years ago or 5 years from now. I don't think all this virus related.
I thought that too, until I began 'realistically' looking at the money. I even said that to my sister at the time of the events that transpired, 'I don't get it', and she makes a 6 figure income and gave no comment. That was my first clue, that I wasn't looking at million's of people, just me. She wasn't laid off, but had she been --- oh wow. That would have killed her, financially.

Homelessness was going on at the time of the events --- Joe Rogan commented on his show about the pop up tent cities in his area, filmed it and showed it.
Quote:
I don't think all this virus related.
The reaction to the virus exacerbated the situation, that was here already.

The COVID-19 Eviction Crisis: an Estimated 30-40 Million People in America Are at Risk (aug 2020)

"Many property owners, who lack the credit or financial ability to cover rental payment arrears, will struggle to pay their mortgages and property taxes and maintain properties.
<snip>
COVID-19 struck when 20.8 million renter households (47.5% of all renter households) were already rental cost-burdened, according to 2018 numbers. Rental cost burden is defined as households who pay over 30% of their income towards rent. When the pandemic began, 10.9 million renter households (25% of all renter households) were spending over 50% of their income on rent each month. The majority of renter households below the poverty line spent at least half of their income towards rent in 2018, with one in four spending over 70% of their income toward housing costs."

Old 08-04-2021, 12:48 PM

20,127 posts, read 16,176,784 times
Quote:
Does Oldhag also own her own residence? Because that would be 2....
As I explained to your earlier, every rental property we own is because we had to move to another state or country and could not sell the home we had been living in without incurring a loss we could not afford. We did not start out to be landlords, it just happened. We have only two of our renters who are behind - one whom we are working with and the other who’s butt we’ll send to the curb the minute we can. We have some other properties. We have one tenant that has been with us over twenty years. We offered to sell it to her before but she has declined. You might think it has something to do with the $585/month she is paying, which is significantly less than she’d pay to buy it, but what she told us was as a single lady she didn’t think she could manage the care.

It’s a big country and the places we own property aren’t having bidding wars or ordinary people who can’t find a place to buy, if they want one. Maybe, since you have a job that has mobility, you ought to consider moving to somewhere without skyrocketing population growth. Then you too can easily buy a dated home to fix up like we did.

Old 08-04-2021, 12:52 PM

3,351 posts, read 1,240,777 times
Quote:
almost none of it is virus related at this point.
when you tell deadbeats there are no consequences for not paying and keep giving them free money they aren't going to pay rent with it bc they're deadbeats.

aoc and lunatics like her think they can just keep kicking the can down the road. meanwhile they're encouraging deplorable behavior and screwing over property owners.

then they act like the "greedy" landlords are this horrific people "there will be millions of homeless people if this isn't extended"

yes because millions of deadbeats (with few exceptions) chose not to pay their rent for over a year and no sane person will rent to them in the future. so landlords should keep getting screwed over for these scumbags?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies