Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 10:18 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,821,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Fauci has changed his statements as new evidence has been discovered. I will. I was one of the first in line to be vaccinated six months ago to protect me, and I still wear a mask when I go out in public to protect you.

Did I miss anything, according to your "scientists"...?
How long are you gonna wear that mask? After all, covid is with us forever. Since the most commom place to infect others is at home according to science ... are you wearing masks there too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 10:19 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,331,170 times
It's not science that is getting it wrong, it's Dr. Fauci. The old man should retire, he's taking American on a merry-go-round ride.

Old 08-15-2021, 10:23 AM

41,971 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Science does not change from one month to another.
You can't be serious. If that were the case, we'd still be treating bacterial infections with leeches and bloodletting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
The data didn't change, it was wrong.
Data changes all the time. New data replaces old data.

I can't believe we have to explain this very basic concept.

Quote:
Again, all of science is nothing more than the refinement of everyday thinking.
And what do you need to refine that thinking? Could it be ... new data?

Old 08-15-2021, 10:24 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,553,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World_Travel_2011 View Post
It all begs the question of how does science and scientists keep bungling this? Why do we still trust them after being wrong so much? Amazing that so many would be so willing to give up so much for the rest of their lives on such a poor record. If your financial planner was wrong on so many investments he suggested, you would get rid of him and never listen to him again. Maybe we should start doing the same with the experts who chronically get it wrong.
I think the short answer is that the news media has grown unreliable, not the science. I have been disgusted at the politicizing of science reporting. Even with my smattering of understanding of immunology and the behavior of virulant pathogens I knew from the beginning that what we were seeing, hearing, and reading was not in alignment of our scientific body of knowledge.

Basically, from the beginning of the pandemic the world has been handed a cartload of bull pucky.

The facts are that it is always recommended, in any situation, that you should cover your face when you sneeze, cough, or have any type of respiratory ailment. You should ALWAYS wash your hands after they come in contact with bodily discharges, and you should always avoid touching your face. Most importantly you should stay confined whenever you are feeling ill.

Aside from that, immunity can only occur when an organism has come in contact with a pathogen that has activated the trigger to the set of physical processes that produce immunity. The greater the pathogen load, the greater the immunity -- but ONLY to the pathogen that triggered it. Viruses in particular are known to have a higher level of mutation. They can also remain dormant until they come in contact with an organism that presents an opportunity. So, we host organisms may be immune to one variant of a virus, but that variant can mutate into another variant that we are not immune to.

That is the science. The bunk that has been distributed by conservatives and liberals alike has been what has mislead us, and shame on us for not informing ourselves with reliable science publications rather than biased news sources of either ilk.

Old 08-15-2021, 10:32 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,516,813 times
Do Masks Work? A Review Of The Evidence

Quote:
Surgical masks were designed to keep medical personnel from inadvertently infecting patients’ wounds, not to prevent the spread of viruses.
Quote:
In truth, the CDC’s, U.K.’s, and WHO’s earlier guidance was much more consistent with the best medical research on masks’ effectiveness in preventing the spread of viruses. That research suggests that Americans’ many months of mask-wearing has likely provided little to no health benefit and might even have been counterproductive in preventing the spread of the novel coronavirus.
Quote:
It’s striking how much the CDC, in marshalling evidence to justify its revised mask guidance, studiously avoids mentioning randomized controlled trials. RCTs are uniformly regarded as the gold standard in medical research, yet the CDC basically ignores them apart from disparaging certain ones that particularly contradict the agency’s position.
Quote:
Mask supporters often claim that we have no choice but to rely on observational studies instead of RCTs, because RCTs cannot tell us whether masks work or not. But what they really mean is that they don’t like what the RCTs show.
https://www.zerohedge.com/covid-19/d...eview-evidence

Old 08-15-2021, 10:35 AM

2,335 posts, read 815,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I think the short answer is that the news media has grown unreliable, not the science. I have been disgusted at the politicizing of science reporting. Even with my smattering of understanding of immunology and the behavior of virulant pathogens I knew from the beginning that what we were seeing, hearing, and reading was not in alignment of our scientific body of knowledge.

Basically, from the beginning of the pandemic the world has been handed a cartload of bull pucky.

The facts are that it is always recommended, in any situation, that you should cover your face when you sneeze, cough, or have any type of respiratory ailment. You should ALWAYS wash your hands after they come in contact with bodily discharges, and you should always avoid touching your face. Most importantly you should stay confined whenever you are feeling ill.

Aside from that, immunity can only occur when an organism has come in contact with a pathogen that has activated the trigger to the set of physical processes that produce immunity. The greater the pathogen load, the greater the immunity -- but ONLY to the pathogen that triggered it. Viruses in particular are known to have a higher level of mutation. They can also remain dormant until they come in contact with an organism that presents an opportunity. So, we host organisms may be immune to one variant of a virus, but that variant can mutate into another variant that we are not immune to.

That is the science. The bunk that has been distributed by conservatives and liberals alike has been what has mislead us, and shame on us for not informing ourselves with reliable science publications rather than biased news sources of either ilk.
Although I agree with you on the comment regarding the news media, it's simply not just them.

I can't blame the media when they directly quote someone. And the people and organizations (CDC) in charge, namely Fauci, are about as bad as it gets regarding communication. It is that lack of consistency and transparency that I feel has been the biggest detriment to this problem.

Old 08-15-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Knowledge. And related knowledge has been constantly changing with the Pandemic.
Knowledge doesn't change, it's discovered.

Old 08-15-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You can't be serious. If that were the case, we'd still be treating bacterial infections with leeches and bloodletting.

Data changes all the time. New data replaces old data.

I can't believe we have to explain this very basic concept.

And what do you need to refine that thinking? Could it be ... new data?
"The data" wasn't raw data in the context of my response, the data was incorrectly interpreted. Data, facts, answers all exist beyond what we have already discovered.

The world was flat until it wasn't isn't science. Masks don't work until they do, isn't science either.The right questions are extremely important and that why politics is so damaging to science.
If I had an hour to live, I'd spend 55 minutes trying to discover the right question, not spewing out wrong answers.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:03 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,387,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Hmmmm, maybe someone should open a restaurant in that county called "French Laundry", preferably as close to the courthouse as possible.
: Good one! D

Old 08-15-2021, 11:05 AM

18,805 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Knowledge doesn't change, it's discovered.
Semantics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies