Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 03:01 PM

4,681 posts, read 5,002,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I am not aware of that. You did mention it earlier. Can you link me to studies showing that please?

Absolutely true on the second bold. That's what happens when one doesn't act swiftly. The Italians really didn't have a chance.
Google it. No one owes you "links to studies" for common knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2021, 03:16 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,723,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
It certainly wasn't the experience in NZ - after the original community outbreak 18 months ago, that hasn't been any community cases that weren't explained by the border.

It may spread through animal populations etc, but this hasn't been the case for NZ

Old 08-22-2021, 03:22 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,800,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I am not aware of that. You did mention it earlier. Can you link me to studies showing that please?

Absolutely true on the second bold. That's what happens when one doesn't act swiftly. The Italians really didn't have a chance.
Everyone knows Covid is airborne, so I won't bother with a link for that.

In the sewage:

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...19-its-spread/

In the wildlife:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/de...ans/ar-AANtD5h

They found it in various zoo animals and pets. And they are giving the vaccines to zoo animals, and probably will soon mandate them for pets, as they try to vaccinate everything that moves.

https://plantbasednews.org/culture/e...covid-vaccine/

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/investiga...n-u-s/2625085/

I'm not trying to fear monger, but be realistic. We can't stop the virus. We don't need an 'eradication' mentality. For every person they isolate, it's still flowing out of their toilets and getting into the ecosystem somehow. How did so many deer get it? No one knows, but it seems this is a virus you can't control once it arrives.

We can only figure out a way to live with it while minimizing overall harm. Not just saving Covid lives while taking a wrecking ball to everything else.

Old 08-22-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
Everyone knows Covid is airborne, so I won't bother with a link for that.

In the sewage:

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...19-its-spread/

In the wildlife:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/de...ans/ar-AANtD5h

They found it in various zoo animals and pets. And they are giving the vaccines to zoo animals, and probably will soon mandate them for pets.

I'm not trying to fear monger, but be realistic. We can't stop the virus. For every person they isolate, it's flowing out of their toilets and getting into the ecosystem somehow. We can only figure out a way to live with it while minimizing overall harm. Not just saving Covid lives while taking a wrecking ball to everything else.
Why did community transmission stop after the first lockdown then?

You're not fear mongering, you're panicking, unlike what is happening here where an approach based on previous successes is being followed.

Old 08-22-2021, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Why did community transmission stop after the first lockdown then?

You're not fear mongering, you're panicking, unlike what is happening here where an approach based on previous successes is being followed.
I'm not panicking. I accept all of this as reality. I don't care if the virus is in the deer. Apparently the deer have antibodies now, so that's good. This whole micro-managing of an airborne virus is just crazy. I'm with Sweden in its approach.

Maybe transmission didn't stop after the first lockdown. Maybe it quietly spread around without symptoms, until it popped back up on the radar. Nobody knows. Are people naive enough to think they got every case of an airborne virus? Even virologist Michael Osterholm recently admitted our efforts to control this virus have been thwarted so often. We need humility and equanimity.

Old 08-22-2021, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I'm not panicking. I accept all of this as reality. I don't care if the virus is in the deer. This whole micro-managing of an airborne virus is just crazy. I'm with Sweden in its approach.

Maybe transmission didn't stop after the first lockdown. Maybe it quietly spread around without symptoms, until it popped back up on the radar. Nobody knows. Are people naive enough to think they got every case of an airborne virus? Even virologist Michael Osterholm recently admitted our efforts to control this virus have been thwarted so often... we need humility and equanimity.
You do seem rather panicky - freaking out about what a country with virtually no community transmission for 18 months, is doing ..... just calm down there.

Yeah, maybe the virus was just silently circulating (and somehow not causing any cases), and then just coincidentally happened to re-emerge on exactly the same day and location as a border violation - ... wow!, you really are crediting this virus with strange new powers..."stealth mode" - the ability of the virus to circulate indefinitely amongst a population without causing any cases... lol!

Humility ... what the heck?. How about saying that the country will attempt to keep the virus at bay, until a clearer picture emerges ?.... that's pretty much what has happened here, but if you think the country should accept the death rate of the US, in order to learn .. "humility", I would suggest you're getting a bit too emotional on this issue.

Old 08-22-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
You do seem rather panicky - freaking out about what a country with virtually no community transmission for 18 months, is doing ..... just calm down there.

Yeah, maybe the virus was just silently circulating (and somehow not causing any cases), and then just coincidentally happened to re-emerge on exactly the same day and location as a border violation - ... wow!, you really are crediting this virus with strange new powers..."stealth mode" - the ability of the virus to circulate indefinitely amongst a population without causing any cases... lol!
It circulates without causing symptoms. That's been known for some time.

I'm not sure why you're projecting emotions into my posts. I'm calm and have lived with Covid since the early cases in New York, including getting Covid. Those who are panicking are the government leaders who lock millions of people in their homes over a case.

Old 08-22-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure why you're projecting emotions into my posts. I'm calm. Those who are panicking are the government leaders who lock millions of people in their homes over a case.
So why hasn't the testing been picking it up? You must think that NZers have incredible immune systems, if no one has contracted the virus after it's been circulating during 18 months of pretty normal life and no masks?

I'm happy to be locked down, because I don't want to see the death rates that many countries had. Why is it so important to you that NZ doesn't try to protect those most at risk?

You belief that NZ should accept many more deaths than it needs to, in order to get some sort of lesson in..."humility", reeks of emotion.

Old 08-22-2021, 04:06 PM

11,072 posts, read 6,011,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Thanks kmom. I'll do that ... hang on you're not kmom!

No one owes you telling to tell them what to do.

I assume you don't actually have the answer?

To the real kmom. Thanks for the links.

Quote:

They found it in various zoo animals and pets. And they are giving the vaccines to zoo animals, and probably will soon mandate them for pets, as they try to vaccinate everything that moves.

I'm not trying to fear monger, but be realistic. We can't stop the virus. We don't need an 'eradication' mentality. For every person they isolate, it's still flowing out of their toilets and getting into the ecosystem somehow. How did so many deer get it? No one knows, but it seems this is a virus you can't control once it arrives.

We can only figure out a way to live with it while minimizing overall harm. Not just saving Covid lives while taking a wrecking ball to everything else.
And thanks for this. I had not heard of this before.

Last edited by 303Guy; 08-22-2021 at 05:30 PM..

Old 08-22-2021, 04:31 PM

13,487 posts, read 9,991,265 times
Quote:

I'm not sure why you're projecting emotions into my posts. I'm calm and have lived with Covid since the early cases in New York, including getting Covid. Those who are panicking are the government leaders who lock millions of people in their homes over a case.
It doesn’t circulate without being tracked.

They test sewage so they know if and where the virus is located.

You’re 100% wrong that the virus would be able to circulate asymptotically in the community for months and no one would know.

The advantage of having a very small number of cases is that with sewage monitoring and genomic testing, they know where the virus is lurking, what variant it is, and an approximation of how prevalent it is - even before one single Covid positive person is discovered via testing.

Plus you might want to check up on the wild fauna of New Zealand. There’s not a lot of large land mammals roaming around backyards there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies