Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 10:35 AM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
No one has wanted to go to North Dakota for decades now
Good point.

The Portland Visitors Center (or whatever they're called) could run the OPs video and end it by stating "Hey, we're not North Dakota".

That should bring in the tourist dollars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 10:37 AM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I love Pop Tarts!
I cut my hand replacing the HEI ignition module on my '70 Chevy this morning.

Old 09-10-2021, 12:33 AM

3,826 posts, read 1,780,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So what, I've been disgusted before by crossing the street at the NW 40th and I-44 intersection in Oklahoma City and was offended by the trash and seeing apparently homeless people, probably drunks, sleeping under the overpass. When they are awake, they will beg you for money. And that area isn't even the most openly homeless part of Republican run Oklahoma City.
Why would your response be " so what " ??? Most people like and appreciate clean cities that aren't filled with trash, tents and homeless people lying all over sidewalks, so the fact that we're seeing this downward trend across several states, it's a problem.

Old 09-10-2021, 01:04 AM

2,704 posts, read 1,829,673 times
The homeless crisis in our cities really needs to be addressed. The skyrocketing cost of housing in relation to wages is a huge part the problem, in my opinion. I don't have a solution and I haven't heard of a solution from either party, Democrat or Republucsn. It's sad.

Old 09-10-2021, 06:10 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Imagine instead of tents there are trailers, see now you feel at home.

Old 09-10-2021, 07:02 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
The homeless crisis in our cities really needs to be addressed. The skyrocketing cost of housing in relation to wages is a huge part the problem, in my opinion. I don't have a solution and I haven't heard of a solution from either party, Democrat or Republucsn. It's sad.
The thing is, some people are hoping that the homeless just go away and leave. Portland's solution has been to give homeless people a one-way bus ticket out of town.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/14/u...francisco.html

Other cities are doing that too.

It doesn't seem to be working very well. The thing is, there are some people who view this as "if you can't afford the rent, you don't deserve to be here" or "if you're broke, go away, we have no use for you here".

It's a problem all over. I live in a Republican city and homelessness is one the rise here. Not enough housing for everyone.

Old 09-10-2021, 07:51 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,441,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Why would your response be " so what " ??? Most people like and appreciate clean cities that aren't filled with trash, tents and homeless people lying all over sidewalks, so the fact that we're seeing this downward trend across several states, it's a problem.
This response from the left is why the cities run by them continue to decline. They aren’t willing to face hard facts, do the hard work, and make the hard decisions to i improve these situations. Complete incompetence and lack of leadership from the left. In their zeal to be friends with everyone they step on heir own toes in dealing with real world problems.

Old 09-10-2021, 08:23 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Portland was a cool city in 2007. Spent the day on the way to Tillamook, stayed a few nights in a yurt at Cape Lookout State Park. Had some of the best beer & salmon in Portland, and it was a clean walkable, bike-able city with a lot of charm. Driving the highway was so slow & polite it was maddening. Good memories.
Earlier that year we also stayed in San Francisco for several days, which is one of my favorite cities.

Nowadays, 14 years later I know a lot has changed. But I don't know whether it is embellished media hype or something else, but they really push the narrative that all upper west coast cities from SF up are dystopian sh*tholes. Their residents are swimming in feces, needles and trash, and make it seem like the doped-up leaders there do not have the balls to tackle their problems head-on, and their residents are a bunch of soft, uppity p*ssies (essentially the opposite of the upper east coast). And it's not only media hype from trash right wing propaganda sites... this is coming from all sides, and even their own local TV stations are doing it.

It'd be good to hear from recent visitors who have the heart of an explorer... Not residents with tunnel vision and property values to uphold, nor people who sit in the Republican south or midwest and simply parrot what comes out of their screens.

Old 09-10-2021, 08:34 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,441,127 times
It’s not hype about Portland. It has become a dump. I know several (some liberal) people who have been there in the last two years and every single one said it was dumpy. A couple people said Portland was the only city they felt unsafe in on their west coast tour.

Old 09-10-2021, 10:19 AM

1,320 posts, read 864,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Portland was a cool city in 2007. Spent the day on the way to Tillamook, stayed a few nights in a yurt at Cape Lookout State Park. Had some of the best beer & salmon in Portland, and it was a clean walkable, bike-able city with a lot of charm. Driving the highway was so slow & polite it was maddening. Good memories.
Earlier that year we also stayed in San Francisco for several days, which is one of my favorite cities.

Nowadays, 14 years later I know a lot has changed. But I don't know whether it is embellished media hype or something else, but they really push the narrative that all upper west coast cities from SF up are dystopian sh*tholes. Their residents are swimming in feces, needles and trash, and make it seem like the doped-up leaders there do not have the balls to tackle their problems head-on, and their residents are a bunch of soft, uppity p*ssies (essentially the opposite of the upper east coast). And it's not only media hype from trash right wing propaganda sites... this is coming from all sides, and even their own local TV stations are doing it.

It'd be good to hear from recent visitors who have the heart of an explorer... Not residents with tunnel vision and property values to uphold, nor people who sit in the Republican south or midwest and simply parrot what comes out of their screens.
I'm a recent transplant so I'm not sure if my perspective is what you're looking for, but my perspective is that Portland has a decent amount of problems right now and the current leadership is very ill-equipped at tackling them, but that said, it's still a very nice place to live. From what I've heard from locals, the quality of life has diminished in the last 10 years, but not to the extent that the media hypes up or to override all the positives of living here. The housing market is still insane; even just trying to find a place to rent was a very competitive process.

Portland is one of the most liberal / leftist cities in the country, so there will always be right wing people obsessing over it and rooting for it to fail. These are the people that completely blow its problems out of proportion and say unsubstantiated things like that there's daily riots, the city is on fire, everything is boarded up, etc... These people are generally pretty clueless and I would take what they say with a grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies