Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 10:34 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,246,130 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine lives in a beautiful condo in Downtown Portland...while it's been a little over a year since I've had a chance to visit him, I always loved going there...Love going to Voodoo Donuts...love all the brewpubs...He still loves living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2021, 10:34 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,477,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skezo View Post
I went last 9 years ago and 7 years ago for a full week each time.
Loved the city back then. Knew it was a fairly liberal city but didn't care. Now it seems like politics is king over there and place looks like a dump - no plans to return any time soon, which is sad as it was an interesting and fun city.
We find dumps to be quite localized and improved from last year. And nothing compared to my Chicago experience, where I lived and trained near Maxwell Street for many years. Some of our patients came right out of the street there.

Old 09-08-2021, 10:40 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,477,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
A friend of mine lives in a beautiful condo in Downtown Portland...while it's been a little over a year since I've had a chance to visit him, I always loved going there...Love going to Voodoo Donuts...love all the brewpubs...He still loves living there.
Totally different for us in a cool walking city as compared to our broiling rural AZ town! Voodoo is the one, but my wife has to be gluten free. Not that we have a problem, but we actually lose weight here due to all the walking.

Old 09-08-2021, 10:43 AM

3,206 posts, read 2,488,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
This is also what Olympia in Washington looks like. You can drive down the freeway and see tent cities all over the PNW. I do like the PNW and miss it at times.

A couple of years ago, the summer was cool and perfect. This year, my friends are struggling and they have hated it.
I have a friend right now who is getting out of Washington state because of the governor.
Ditto my hometown of Bellingham. Squatters are living unfettered on absentee owner private property. The police can do nothing without a complaint and paperwork from the landowner. I have an app that shows ownership of private land along the Guide Meridian, home of strip malls and Walmart. Many are from out of the area.

The renegade homeless are threatening nearby residents and shop owners. I have gleaned this info from my local social media feeds. But, this is what the voters get by electing the SJW crowd.

Old 09-08-2021, 10:48 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Please explain what you mean by "exercising their 2nd Amendment rights." What exactly are you calling on Portland citizens to do? Get their guns and start shooting people? Because that's what it sounds like you are advocating here.
Let me ask you this...taking into consideration that the 2nd Amendment was originally created in part so citizens could protect themselves from the Govt...

What would that look like in the real world? (using firearm to protect oneself from the govt)

Old 09-08-2021, 10:52 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Let me ask you this...taking into consideration that the 2nd Amendment was originally created in part so citizens could protect themselves from the Govt...

What would that look like in the real world? (using firearm to protect oneself from the govt)
Here is what you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I dont understand this at all...if so many Portland citizens are this angry and upset...why are they not exercising their 2nd Amendment rights?!!
I ask you again, what is it you want these "citizens" to do? It sounds like you are advocating that they take their guns, go out in the streets and start shooting people. Your response here does nothing to counter that impression.

Old 09-08-2021, 10:56 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Here is what you said:

I ask you again, what is it you want these "citizens" to do? It sounds like you are advocating that they take their guns, go out in the streets and start shooting people. Your response here does nothing to counter that impression.
I didnt advocate for them to starting shooting people in the streets...I said they should exercise their constitutional right to protect themselves from the Govt.

Old 09-08-2021, 11:00 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Since we're throwing totally random stuff into this thread: My dog just pooped in the yard. What about that?
From what I've heard, pooping in public is very much related to the Portland experience.

Old 09-08-2021, 11:02 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
This is nothing, you should see the videos of Kensington Ave. in Philadelphia, piles of garbage in the streets and doped up people passed out on the sidewalk, there are tons of videos on YouTube showing it.
Kensington Avenue has been a dump at least as far back as the 1980s, when I lived in Philadelphia. But I don't believe that the dope addicts there are firebombing buildings with people inside, as the pampered anarchists of Portland have been doing.

Old 09-08-2021, 11:06 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,250,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
No one has wanted to go to North Dakota for decades now
It is so much easier to deflect the conversation away from a glaring liberal problem than to actually address it....isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies