Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 11:07 AM

23,649 posts, read 12,553,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
What about North Dakota?
The mayor of Fargo, where the riot happened, is a Democrat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2021, 11:12 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
The mayor of Fargo, where the riot happened, is a Democrat.
If I'm not mistaken, the Fargo riot was instigated by a bunch of idiotic starry-eyed white-liberal college students from across the river in Moorhead. I also seem to recall that the Fargo police were quick to restore order when things started getting out of hand.

Old 09-08-2021, 11:14 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,477,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
From what I've heard, pooping in public is very much related to the Portland experience.
Not common, and way more dog poop not picked up. Just the other day we got stopped by a broken train right by a local encampment. The facilities were comparable to smaller state parks.

Old 09-08-2021, 11:23 AM

21,868 posts, read 25,161,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
Portland was already depressing years ago. I used to fly into Portland then drive out to fish the Oregon rivers. Portland had the same depressing vibe as Seattle, at least the last times I was in those cities. I can see where the sentiments of "grunge" came from.
It's new and it's not new. My first trip to Seattle was around 20 years ago. It wasn't exactly new then either. Homeless tents in Occidental Square (Pioneer's Square neighborhood, tourist trap), aggressive panhandling. About 15 years ago when I moved there after college and lived in Beltown in a sublet window faced down Prostitutes Alley. Not uncommon to here some ruckus and there was a John getting some service. Parking in my building was $400/month, Shiro's sushi downstairs, bunch of cocktail bars and fancy restaurants, and of course Prostitute Alley. Portland wasn't much far off Seattle back then.

Then what happened was COVID. Everyone normal went away and the homeless took over. Portland's got the added benefit of hosting the antifa and Proud Boys maroons pretending it's movie set for Gang's of Portland, Basement Dwellers Riot Fantasies III. But I've been in SF and even San Jose since COVID and downtown is just other worldly wasteland. Junkies passed out on the stairs down to BART with a bunch of used heroin syringes lying on the ground. Gave that one a prod to see if it was dead and called the cops. Came back an hour later and he'd picked up his syringes and made it to the side of the staircase. Maybe the cops got him that far, didn't seem like he was capable of moving that far on his own power. Maybe he just came to a bit and moved over before shoving another needle in. Impression from dispatch was basically unless he's dead we ain't sending anyone for another junkie on the street.

Old 09-08-2021, 11:29 AM

7,779 posts, read 6,392,491 times
I would not even want to drive through there on the Interstate. I would probably take the coast highway and pass it by.

Old 09-08-2021, 11:34 AM

23,649 posts, read 12,553,459 times
Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, the Fargo riot was instigated by a bunch of idiotic starry-eyed white-liberal college students from across the river in Moorhead.
Most likely mainly white, as it seems to have been with most of the protests/riots across the country.

Quote:
I also seem to recall that the Fargo police were quick to restore order when things started getting out of hand.
I haven't done much research into what happened in Fargo.

Seems there were several days of protests and one day of rioting. Several dozen injured and seems to have been significant damage to buildings in the city. I don't know how many were arrested, if anyone was arrested or if there were those who'd been arrested were released without charges(like seemed to often happen with those who'd been arrested across the country)

Old 09-08-2021, 11:37 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,477,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
I would not even want to drive through there on the Interstate. I would probably take the coast highway and pass it by.
A whole different animal. We drove up the coast from Dana Point CA and up to the far upper left of Washington's Olympic Pen., before finally traveling over to Portland 8/1. And Portland itself is a whole different animal than last summer.

Old 09-08-2021, 11:42 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
What about North Dakota?
Nobody wants to move there. Nobody wants to move to Republican run cities, either. For instance, Tulsa is so desperate for new people that it will pay you $10,000 to move there and be a remote worker. Rather than be paid to move to Tulsa just who knows how many thousands of people would far rather move to Portland, due to the much, much better scenery, led by Mt. Hood? Better weather, too.

Old 09-08-2021, 11:43 AM

10,872 posts, read 4,546,402 times
Quote:
But I don't believe that the dope addicts there are firebombing buildings with people inside, .

In philly, that is generally the local govt that does that....

Old 09-08-2021, 11:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
We used to go to Portland for the day or overnight 3-4 times a year. After a year+ off due to Covid, we went there again in May 2021, and were shocked to see that the homeless and graffiti had become as bad as Seattle. We still go, but not as often to our favorite places there like the Rose Garden and Portland Nursery, but we won't go near downtown or stay overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies