Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 09:40 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times

Advertisements

A pep rally IS a little different than a football game, let's say, because it's still during school hours. I think the problem was the one Old Hag pointed out previously in the article:

Quote:
“The teacher got right in her face and told her, ‘No, you need to stand up,'” said Woods. “So then when my kids get agitated, and they get loud with her, that’s when she went and got the principal and police.”
Like I said before, go home and complain after doing what you're told during school hours. In the old days we would have gotten in trouble at home for getting agitated and loud with a teacher. These parents who defend this are the reason kids grow up popping off to police and others in authority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2021, 09:58 AM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
What is so hard to understand about the girls having the Constitutional right as American citizens to decide whether to stand for the National Anthem or not, whether it pisses off a teacher or not?

I thought the whole thing was about "freedom".
"What is so hard to understand" it is OK to teach about respect?

Teenagers are still MINORS and are denied a LOT of stuff.

There are even LAWS passed on how to show proper respect"

"4 U.S. Code § 8 - Respect for flag"

"No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America"

" all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart"

"36 U.S. Code § 301 - National anthem "

Should we stop wanting people to OBEY our laws.

By ALLOWING them to break laws, what is that teaching them?

Old 09-22-2021, 10:11 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
I didnt read article at all, so this was a pep rally? One of those school 'forced attendance' pep rallies? I remember those and greatly resented them. Yea they go way back. I didnt give a fig about glorifying the "heroic school atheletes", many of which were school bullies, it was all clap trap. So easiest thing, just dont force students to attend these school "political rallies". Simple as that. Those that want to attend such rallies should be free to do so. Those that think its pure BS shouldnt be required, let alone also forced to bow down to the national flag or what ever.

As to showing love to your country, it has nothing to do with chanting "Sieg Heil" to the flag or the current glorious leader. Its about the principles expressed in the Constitution. Freedom of speech, freedom of religion, etc.... The teacher obviously flunked government class when she was in high school. Quietly sitting out or kneeling during the "Sieg Heil" stuff IS FREEDOM OF SPEECH. It disrupts nothing except the fantasies of the wannabe totalitarians. Denying freedom of speech is ANTI-AMERICAN. If they are disrupting the scripted program, release them, pep rallies are NOT educational. They are political theater nothing more.
Yes, a pep rally, which is what made me take a step back. Those kids don’t all stand for the anthem at pep rallies. The girls should have been respectful of the teacher regardless but the teacher needs a lesson in free speech. Honestly, if there is nothing more to this, I think this was a personal issue that the teacher brought to the students. It could have all been avoided.

Old 09-22-2021, 10:13 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
A pep rally IS a little different than a football game, let's say, because it's still during school hours. I think the problem was the one Old Hag pointed out previously in the article:

Like I said before, go home and complain after doing what you're told during school hours. In the old days we would have gotten in trouble at home for getting agitated and loud with a teacher. These parents who defend this are the reason kids grow up popping off to police and others in authority.
Agreed. A lot of these parents are worse than the children. It’s no wonder the children react how they do. However, I hope the teacher didn’t also get in the child’s face, as alleged. As adults, we should carry ourselves better and exhibit self-restraint. How can we expect children to exhibit what we fail to?

Old 09-22-2021, 10:26 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Agreed. A lot of these parents are worse than the children. It’s no wonder the children react how they do. However, I hope the teacher didn’t also get in the child’s face, as alleged. As adults, we should carry ourselves better and exhibit self-restraint. How can we expect children to exhibit what we fail to?
Unfortunately, the kids may have experienced a teacher leaning in to tell them to stand up without having to raise her voice, and in the telling it became 'she got in my face'.

Teenagers exaggerate to begin with. In a household where mom is at the ready to defend them, it's probably magnified.

Old 09-22-2021, 10:32 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,880 times
Sorry, I am late, so I didn't read all 11 pages.

This alleged incident took place on September 2. Is there any video of the actual incident? All I saw on the first page was a video of the mother saying it happened.

This was in a pep rally. There had to have been hundreds of students with smartphones. Did no one film it? I will remain skeptical until I see video of the actual incident.

Old 09-22-2021, 11:13 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times
Can someone please explain the purpose of saying the pledge? Why would you pledge allegiance to a flag? Children never receive any explanation for why they are required to do this, they are just told to do it.

Old 09-22-2021, 11:33 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Can someone please explain the purpose of saying the pledge? Why would you pledge allegiance to a flag? Children never receive any explanation for why they are required to do this, they are just told to do it.

https://historyplex.com/why-is-pledg...ance-important

Old 09-22-2021, 11:44 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,816,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
The Supreme Court is always right.
You're entitled to your opinion.

Old 09-22-2021, 11:44 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
In 9th-grade my history teacher taught his class by writing lines on the chalkboard that everyone in the class was required to copy, then he would discuss each line. He felt like if people wrote it down they would be more likely to remember it.

I was tired one day and didn't feel like writing anything. He began writing things down on the board, turned around and saw that I wasn't writing anything. Asked me why I wasn't taking notes. I told him I didn't feel like it. He told me if I refused to write notes that I would have to leave his class and sit in the principal's office. My stubborn self told him that was fine(no one threatens me). So he kicked me out of the class and told me I couldn't come back until I was willing to take notes like all the other students.

In my case it was just part of the class, whereas the national anthem isn't. But I can remember at the time thinking he didn't have the right to compel me to write notes since I wasn't required to turn them in, nor were they part of my grade.

I hate the national anthem and the pledge of allegiance, but even in my obstinance I can't imagine being rude or threatening towards my teacher. I would have just left.

Funny thing is, that teacher loved me, and he was favorite teacher. I think he was more irritated that I was setting a bad example than anything. He knew I knew the material because I aced all the tests.
Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies