Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 10:57 PM

5,746 posts, read 4,707,807 times

Advertisements

Had a tree removal company on my property today. They removed 16 palm trees, several up to 80' tall. And "topped" off my ficus tree wall, consisting of 45 ficus trees. Not a small job by any means.

Crew of ten workers, 2 large tree trucks with grinder and chipper, many large chain saws.

All of the equipment runs off of gas engines.

I asked the foreman what he thought about the new law. He replied many expletives at first, but then said basically said it wasn't feasible or possible at this point.

For the average homeowner, electric power tools will work. But on commercial jobs, no friggin way, he said. After watching his crew use 4 or 5 very large chainsaws for hours on end, I think he is right. Not to mention the grinders/chippers... the chippers turned a 14" tree trunk into nothing but chips in seconds. That machine was so loud you could hear it from 1/4 mile away. It shook my cabinets inside my house.

No way battery tech can power these machines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2021, 11:10 PM

4,514 posts, read 4,048,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
{CA resident here}

I'm sorry, I am so so sorry. But, it's wokeness, you see. It's infected so many people here.

Natural gas for new home construction has also been banned - so no cooking on the stove when the power gets cut off with our 3rd world power infrastructure.

Gotta stay on the leading edge of woke, here, doncha ya know.
Quit giving them your census reps and elector counts. Move to an unrigged election state.

Old 10-12-2021, 11:12 PM

4,514 posts, read 4,048,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
Most of my stuff is already electric, so I’m good. I do worry about the gas snowblower though. Mine is already 20 years old, I might have to buy a new one before it’s too late.
Hey isn’t tyranny great when it goes along with what you just happened to be doing anyways! /s

Old 10-13-2021, 04:36 AM

59,138 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Except with their power generation grid and fires etc. etc. etc. where when there are problems they blame "global warming".

How "forward thinking" is California when they apparently keep getting caught off-guard by global warming affects that they've known about for decades?

On top of that, they've been pushing zero emission nuclear out of the state and passing laws aimed towards increasing electric demand but apparently have no real plan as to how they're going to replace all that lost electricity generation especially as hydro sources are imperiled by low water levels?

I have no problem with being forward thinking but you have to be able to execute on initiatives in reality.

P.S. They've also managed to create some of the highest, fastest rising electricity rates in the country.
"but apparently have no real plan as to how they're going to replace all that lost electricity generation especially as hydro sources are imperiled by low water levels?"

This is 1 reason so many on the left are pushing so hard for the over $1 TRILLION
infrastructure money.

THEY won't keep the maintenance up, upgrade, etc. they want the rest of the country to pay for it for them

Old 10-13-2021, 04:42 AM

1,812 posts, read 903,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
Most of my stuff is already electric, so I’m good. I do worry about the gas snowblower though. Mine is already 20 years old, I might have to buy a new one before it’s too late.
You better buy a new gas snowblower. I’ve tried the electric ones and they suck big time. I salvaged some parts out of it and the rest went to the trash. Horrible idea. Californians had a chance to recall and elect a new governor. They deserve this kinda stuff.

Old 10-13-2021, 04:54 AM

4,167 posts, read 4,884,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
You seem to be assuming there will never be improvements in battery technology for these tools.

There are now batteries capable of powering cars and trucks. That technology will eventually be adapted for tools like chainsaws.
Batteries get weaker over time as they age and eventually may not hold a charge or last as long between recharges. Battery powered equipment will never match the working horsepower of a combustion engine. Notice I said working horsepower and not rated horsepower.

Old 10-13-2021, 05:02 AM

20 posts, read 4,132 times
Do we need California? I would be ok if we dropped a nuke on them and just called it a day.

Old 10-13-2021, 05:22 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,581,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
You seem to be assuming there will never be improvements in battery technology for these tools.

There are now batteries capable of powering cars and trucks. That technology will eventually be adapted for tools like chainsaws.

Then eventually they might consider this law. In the mean time...

Old 10-13-2021, 05:26 AM

995 posts, read 510,771 times
What are the chances of this insane law being overturned by the courts? And does this law prohibit the use of these machines, or just the sale of them? If just sales are banned, what's to stop people from buying equipment in other states?

If the machines are actually banned, how could they enforce this law? They'd have to put a million people behind bars.

The good thing is that this will drive more and more people into the welcoming arms of the Republicans.

Old 10-13-2021, 05:20 PM

30,396 posts, read 19,191,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Except for a lot of people that don't have your deep pockets and have to pay CA electric rates.

I almost entirely agree about going electric, but not everyone can just shrug off the higher costs and other issues that are being created like you can.
I agree that it's harder right now for those on the lower wealth and pay scale to go fully electric so there needs to be electric mowers, trimmers, and cars that are lower priced, that does need to happen and I think will in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies