Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2021, 01:21 PM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
You do realize, transmission is from both vaccinated and unvaccinated right ?

I really hate to break this to you, but Covid is here for a while, and the majority of people, both vaccinated or not will eventually get it. How sever one gets it seems to depend on being vaccinated or not. When I got it (vaccinated), I had three rough days, and a week of mild symptoms. When my wife got (before the vaccines were available) it was two rough weeks.
And plenty of us got it before vaccines and were asymptomatic.

There's just no way to know how this will hit ya.

Old 10-12-2021, 01:25 PM

1,929 posts, read 558,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Hey - go for it. Plenty of people won't choose to fly on an airline that is not dependable. Guessing it could self correct at some point and open up some jobs for pilots retiring from military service - where they had to get vaxxed.
You know one that is 'dependable'? People will fly on any airline that will get them from point A to point B regardless of problems. There have been enough fees and add-ons, delays and cancellations over the years to prove that. Southwest will be fine when they start flying again. It is good for employees to remind a company there can be consequences for both sides of a directive. I'm sure their bottom line is showing that now.

"Had to" get an inoculation of a substance into your body is nothing short of totalitarianism, courtesy of your Federal Government.

Old 10-12-2021, 01:26 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,738,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
1. By infecting other non vaccinated people, including children and babies, and causing business disruptions when others who have been vaccinated have to stay home from work, close their businesses and quarantine after exposure.

2. By filling up the hospitals and ERs and causing delays in urgent and intensive medical care for others

3. By perpetuating this pandemic when we all want it over with.

4. By allowing the virus to continue in the community and mutate into a more deadly strain.

5. By costing taxpayers millions in unpaid medical bills and funeral expenses (which are paid for by the government for people who die from COVID)
Full disclosure: I'm fully vaccinated. I just don't think you should force people to do pretty much anything and getting vaccinated is one of those things.

So having said that, either you believe that the vaccines do something or you don't. Wanna get to the end of the pandemic? Go back to normal life as much as possible. Those that get vaccinated will gain a certain amount of protection. Those that do not will get the disease and 99.9% will survive. Those that survive will have greater immunity than those that got the vaccine, and the virus burns itself out naturally. You very quickly get to a point where there isn't anyone around without some form of immunity.

By cowering indoors, we prevent the pandemic from burning itself out.

To your final point, all of the following cause billions of dollars in medical bills that unfairly burdens taxpayers and kills millions of people every single year:
  • People who drink alcohol.
  • People who smoke or imbibe tobacco in one form or another.
  • Fat people.
  • People whose unhealthy life choices have resulting in various debilitating diseases like diabetes, etc.
  • Reckless drivers.

So would you say it's fair to round all such people up, and stick them in camps where we can exterminate them in a nice orderly fashion? Maybe we just refuse all healthcare to them as a punishment for their irresponsible life choices. Seems fair, doesn't it?

Old 10-12-2021, 01:27 PM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
And plenty of us got it before vaccines and were asymptomatic.

There's just no way to know how this will hit ya.
True. My 73 year old Dad was asymptomatic. How he found out , he was already in the hospital battling leukemia.

Old 10-12-2021, 01:35 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Quote:
You do realize, transmission is from both vaccinated and unvaccinated right ?

I really hate to break this to you, but Covid is here for a while, and the majority of people, both vaccinated or not will eventually get it. How sever one gets it seems to depend on being vaccinated or not. When I got it (vaccinated), I had three rough days, and a week of mild symptoms. When my wife got (before the vaccines were available) it was two rough weeks.
I take your point. And it is clear as day that the unvaccinated are the ones clogging up the hospitals and leaving behind massive unpaid bills for you and me. As well as single parents and orphaned children who will be a drain on the social safety net.

If you decide to decline the vaccine, PLEASE do the rest of us a favor and GET LIFE AND HEALTH INSURANCE.

Old 10-12-2021, 01:42 PM

8,243 posts, read 3,497,570 times
Quote:
Just crazy, whether this story is true or not, all this angst is because of mandating a vaccine that does not prevent transmission.
But it is still supposed to somehow end the pandemic.

My daughter came up with better lies than that when she was in grade school.

Old 10-12-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I take your point. And it is clear as day that the unvaccinated are the ones clogging up the hospitals and leaving behind massive unpaid bills for you and me. As well as single parents and orphaned children who will be a drain on the social safety net.

If you decide to decline the vaccine, PLEASE do the rest of us a favor and GET LIFE AND HEALTH INSURANCE.
Sounds like hyperbole to me. You are assuming that those that have died in the hospital have no health care, or are single parents. Also, I know people in the health care industry here in the metro Detroit area where we are currently having 3000 plus cases a day. And state wide our hospitals are at 78%, the average occupancy rate is 62%. So higher, but not clogged as you suggest. Some states my differ, I'm sure.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ring-covid-19/

https://www.michigancapitolconfident...0of%20Michigan.

For the record, I am vaccinated, and have both life and health insurance.

Old 10-12-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
But it is still supposed to somehow end the pandemic.

My daughter came up with better lies than that when she was in grade school.
People just keep clinging on to this notion though. Not sure why.

Old 10-12-2021, 01:57 PM

27,149 posts, read 15,327,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
And it is a personal choice to continue employment with a company that decides the federal $$ is worth following the federal contractor mandate.

No doubt these guys can find employment with small local carriers that choose not to have a vaccine requirement.
Apparently that 2% earned as a Federal Contractor is more important to SWA.

Old 10-12-2021, 01:59 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Quote:
Sounds like hyperbole to me. You are assuming that those that have died in the hospital have no health care, or are single parents.
My point is, when a parent dies, it leaves behind a single parent. One less income for the family. Hello food stamps, medicaid, etc.

The unvaccinated tend to be less educated and at the lower income scale and therefore more financially insecure.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies