Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 11:19 AM

4,392 posts, read 1,701,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
This. Honestly high school should be converted to a credit hours system rather than a time based system, just like college.

You have requirements to graduate (X credits in A, Y credits in B etc) and if you satisfy those requirements, you get to graduate. Doesn't matter if you do it in 2 years, 4 years, 10 years.
When was the last time you were in high school, because this is EXACTLY what it is like in CA, and in all other states I interact with professionally. In my district, you need 220 credits to graduate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2021, 11:25 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,152,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamhammer View Post
Hmm I wonder who will fill/take all of our executive /engineering/science/dr. Jobs in the future. Hmmm,
People like my daughter and son. So what did we do right to have academically successful kids? We de-emphasized grades and emphasized learning. We encouraged them to try difficult things. When our kids failed assignments or exams, we didn't criticize them. Instead, we said things like, "It looks like you have mastered 55% of the material. What can we do to support you in learning the other 45%?" We talked to them about our academic struggles and how we overcame them. And it worked. Learning is a continual process, and it often progresses in fits and starts. Unfortunately, the traditional grading scheme doesn't teach children that.

Last edited by kj1065; 11-12-2021 at 11:34 AM..

Old 11-12-2021, 11:33 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,163,576 times
I think the next big push from the zanies that run our schools in America is to get rid of grades all together because grades are inherently racist, according to them.

Only a matter of time…

Old 11-12-2021, 12:02 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
Back when I was in a classroom, this is how I conducted my classes, for the exact reasons you stated.

1. Tests could be retaken once for full credit. Student would be allowed to choose which test to count (in case the second test was actually worse than the first, which happened on occasion.. lol).

2. I only accepted 100% homework. So if i scored your paper and you got less than 100%, i handed it back to you so that you could correct the wrong answers and turn it back in. The assignment did mot get entered un the grade book until it was at 100%.

3. I only marked CORRECT answers, instead of incorrect ones. And I only used green ink, instead of red. The thought behind this is that students will see all the answers they got correct FIRST, instead of all their mistakes. They STILL had to face their incorrect answers because of #2 above.

4. Whenever a whole class got a D or F on a test, I saw that as MY failure, not theirs. I started enacting short, daily quizzes that were pass/fail, graded immediately as a group, and were on the previous day’s material. It was my way to see if the students were learning the material like I planned. If the majority got certain answers wrong, we quickly re-covered that material to start class, then moved on to new material.

5. The students actually created all the questions for each test… or at least that’s what they thought. One of the study activities we did was to have students come up with 10 test questions and answers on the material for the next test, and I would choose the best ones and credit them on the test. Truthfully, I already knew what was going to be on the test anyway, and just chose the student’s entries that were already asking my preselected questions. More importantly, it showed me what the students thought was the important material to know for each section. If they all seemed to focus their questions on trivial stuff, it alerted me that I was focusing too much attention on that stuff, and needed to reteach the material before giving out the test. Lastly, kids really enjoyed seeing their names by the test questions, which only encouraged them to research more possible test questions.

6. I ALWAYS accepted late work, up until the day I had to turn in grades. My job is to teach, not just keep records. Failing a student because they turned their work in late does nothing to help me or the student.

I have been out of the classroom for at least 15 years now, but if I were ever to return, I would conduct my classes in the same manner.
You sound like a fabulous teacher. One of my kids had a teacher like you, and although he would have preferred to get a C on a project instead of doing it over, all the projects had to earn an A. So you could either put all the work in upfront, or redo it because you weren't going to be allowed to just turn in shoddy work. Great system.

Old 11-12-2021, 12:59 PM

35,074 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
How is this holding back the smart kids? Lol
Behavior problems and disruptive behavior of the "D" and "F" students.

Old 11-12-2021, 01:05 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Faced with soaring Ds and Fs, schools are ditching the old way of grading
No Kid Left Behind is another failed Republican Policy. That is the reason they MUST pass them.

Old 11-12-2021, 01:07 PM

43,121 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
No Kid Left Behind is another failed Republican Policy. That is the reason they MUST pass them.
NCLB ended in 2015.

Now we have "Every Student Succeeds" ...hence the removal of grades so that "every student succeeds".

Our declining world standing in science and technology seems to indicate that this isn't working either.

Old 11-12-2021, 01:08 PM

4,392 posts, read 1,701,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Behavior problems and disruptive behavior of the "D" and "F" students.
D and F students dont necessarily present with disruptive behavioral problems. Most of the behavioral problems I deal with are NOT D and F students.

Old 11-12-2021, 01:13 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Let the dumb kids be segregated with their own kind and smart kids with their own kind.
That's how things have been since the dawn of history. And will continue to be long after we're gone.

A wise man once said, "Nothing is new under the sun."

Old 11-12-2021, 01:19 PM

3,080 posts, read 3,265,478 times
Quote:
How is this holding back the smart kids? Lol
Having mixed classrooms can be a negative factor for students at both ends of the spectrum. Having classrooms with more like abilitied students allow the teacher and the curriculum to be more tuned to those abilities. It's an incredibly rare teacher that can effectively handle a classroom with significant differences in abilities while maximizing the opportunities for those abilities. Trick of course is not to create walls between these classrooms (hence why "segregation" isn't the correct strategy), it's a tricky balance, but at least the goal is to maximize potential vs equalize outcomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies