Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2021, 10:41 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
We all pay for crimes like these. People don’t understand there are ripple affects from crime that we all pay for. If you vote for candidates soft on crime, you are literally costing all of us money.
Do we pay, if we aren't customers?

Theft may drive up the cost of LV goods, but for those who aren't ever planning to buy them, who pays is the customers and that company.

Not the rest of us.

When people routinely steal from your local grocery store that you patronize, then yes, you will have to pay more to cover that loss.

But LV is a very very niche market and this will cause them to tighten security or go under. It's somewhat unlikely they'll raise prices, with the stain of likely theft on those who carry their products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2021, 10:42 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Louis Vuitton charges what they do because people are willing to pay it. As for the management, I suspect their cost-benefit calculation runs more along the lines of, one manager can do nothing against an organized gang of a dozen or more smash-and-grab robbers who may well be armed. Add to that the knowledge that the thieves won't be punished, but the manager might be, if he tries to stop them, and the conclusion is, he decides it's not worth his life to do anything except hide in a closet.
Exactly, I certainly get that. Some people are not willing to pay 10X what the item would be worth, if it didn't have the LV brand visible on it.

But that's a niche market. Not everyone is willing to pay a great deal more, for a fashionable label.

Last edited by ClaraC; 11-21-2021 at 11:15 AM..

Old 11-21-2021, 10:43 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,668,233 times
these "peace protesters" didn't set fire to the store after they robbed it did they?

Old 11-21-2021, 10:56 AM

19,848 posts, read 12,113,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Just taking one LV bag and you’re over the $1000 limit. In Oklahoma you can bet they’d prosecute, in San Francisco not so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I doubt there is any LV stores in Oklahoma. I do notice law enforcement keep saying employees and security guards should not stop them. If you look at videos from Walmart, and Target they have loss prevention security that goes hands on and catch most of shop lifters.

You would think as much as LV cost they would have more security in their stores. High end jewelry stores usually have armed guards.

Like GPT said, they aren’t prosecuting. There was a San Francisco woman who stole from Target 120 times in one year. SF’s DA is facing a recall over his track record.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-one-year.html

Old 11-21-2021, 11:04 AM

20,346 posts, read 19,937,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
This is how lefties Christmas shop.. the dems are supporting it. No jail time. Just help yourself to under $1000 of merchandise.
Gives "Black Friday" shopping a new meaning.

Old 11-21-2021, 11:33 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,119,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm not excusing anything. I'm saying, it's still profitable to run their stores, because of the enormous mark-up. If they have a percentage of legit sales, and a lot of theft, they can still justify staying open.

Coincidentally, about a week ago I was talking to a friend who spends a lot of time in California, and she said the brand is losing a LOT of it's street reputation, because if you see someone carrying one of their products it's likely it was stolen. Marks the carrier as a likely shoplifter.

So there's that.
They make very little selling the products themselves. My guess if that was their sole business model, they'd be out of business.

They drive a sense of exclusivity and desire to have their products, and they then in turn sell their designs to cheaper designers. If you notice, a lot of designs in Zara resemble these brands from balenciaga to bottega veneta.

In some ways, they make more money off an insurance claim like this than sales over a long period of time.

But still, criminality is criminality. And we cannot have people thinking they can take things that don't belong to them, especially through force.

Old 11-21-2021, 11:44 AM

43,137 posts, read 18,298,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Exactly, I certainly get that. Some people are not willing to pay 10X what the item would be worth, if it didn't have the LV brand visible on it.

But that's a niche market. Not everyone is willing to pay a great deal more, for a fashionable label.
Hence the stealing and then selling it on the street for a fraction of the cost.

oh yes..people do want that fashion label only the people buying these stolen items can't afford them but they sure do want them.

Old 11-21-2021, 11:47 AM

24,647 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkHammer View Post
It's such an enlightened liberal paradise!
Reparations came early during Biden’s administration.

All we need now is CRT to teach us how looters are oppressed.

Old 11-21-2021, 11:53 AM

19,848 posts, read 12,113,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Reparations came early during Biden’s administration.

All we need now is CRT to teach us how looters are oppressed.
https://nypost.com/2020/08/11/black-...ng-reparation/

BLM organizer calls Chicago looting reparation.

Old 11-21-2021, 11:59 AM

21,952 posts, read 9,517,840 times
Nordstrom got hit, too. I don't care a bit because at one point, they had a BLM banner on their website. I stopped shopping there then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies