Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2022, 10:28 PM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times

Advertisements

In a just world this guy would have been put to death already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2022, 03:11 AM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times
The next phase is jury instructions for deliberation.

According to the judge this will be a long day of discussion amongst the prosecution, defense and herself.

I'm by no means versed in legal proceedings or this particular portion on jury instructions.

What I find questionable is why would the judge need to confer with the two party's? Is there not a standard on the books for jury instructions and conduct during deliberation?

D.B played the recent card of : it's not fair judge, I had not been prepared! I had no idea what I was getting into! -

He time and again was advised that self representation was his right with a strong advisal to have council.

The miniscule amount of foundation he has built on this case is : it wasn't me! And then... My intention that day was not to harm anyone. So which is it? It wasn't you, or that the intent hasn't been proven by the state?

Old 10-23-2022, 07:08 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,088,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, I had to strike first before someone made the effort. Nearly everything on this forum is political. I expect people to come in and blame this on the left. In fact, this has already happened. I figured if more people knew what Waukesha was, they would not be so quick to talk.

I just learned something new about Reagan. It's something I've never thought about. Currently, there are in-patient mental health facilities and psychiatric wards. The longest someone can be in such a facility is about 30 days. It starts to make sense why there are so many repeat offenders. I wonder how many people currently in prison (sometimes for the 2nd or 3rd time) or homeless would have been in mental institutions.

The judge might be a Reagan Republican. Or she might look at that suspect and just see a criminal putting on an act. She might be able to recognize mental illness.

I find it rather interesting that we're talking about mental illness. I'm saying this because normally, when a Black male has committed a violent crime to this degree, there's not a mention of mental illness. It's about "violent thugs" or "get rid of welfare" or the like. I wouldn't have been able to recognize mental illness in him. Then again, I haven't been watching trial. I just know what he did. I know what people on city-data are saying. I don't own a television, so I don't watch much television.

If Darrell Brooks really is mentally ill, if it's really for real, then there are a few things I think about. His crime is still inexcusable. However, I think about something. I think there is alot of undiagnosed mental illness within the Black American population. Very often, people don't recognize it when it's there. Or if it's there, there's a stigma regarding getting help. Is Brooks a violent crime? Is he mentally ill? Likely both. However, when it comes to mental illness and Black Americans, this is one of those things that just doesn't get discussed very much.
I based my conclusion that she is a Reagan Republican on the fact that she was appointed by a Republican, she is an anti-masker who believes that nobody should be forced to wear a mask even in a courtroom with active COVID cases in the courtroom, and she thinks that Darrell Brooks is a sane articulate person who is capable of defending himself. Personally to consider Brooks to be "articulate' I think you have to have a very low bar for what you consider articulate.

I agree with you about the state of in-patient mental health facilities and psychiatric wards. To show how bad the problem is, I recently watched a police bodycam video on YouTube. The cops arrived at a burning apartment complex. They helped people evacuate. They were told that there was a 74 year old man in the apartment where the fire started. They informed the fire department. The property manager arrived and points out the 74 year old man standing in the crowd. So the cop goes to talk to him. This is the conversation.

Cop: So, this fire started in your apartment?
Man: Yeah, I lit it.
Cop: You lit it?
Cop: Why did you light it?
Man: Because that's the only thing I could do to get the fire department out here.

The cops realize they were not talking to a guy with all his marbles, so they started contemplating what to do with him. They didn't want to take him to jail, but they didn't think mental health would take him either. They decided to take him into protective custody, and then they took him to the hospital. By the time they got to the hospital he was totally delusional and shouting obscenities. An hour later the hospital released him, the cops slapped handcuffs on him and took him to jail. The update on the video said that no charges had been filed.

That's the state of mental health in this country. Setting your own home on fire is not enough to get you any mental help these days.

Old 10-23-2022, 07:14 AM

Quote:
I heard about Darrell Brooks trying to call his ex-girlfriend to the stand as a witness. Wow. Didn't he try to run his ex over with his car?
She testified several times. He was trying to get money from her, which she wasn't going to give him. That was when he took off and drove through the parade route.

Old 10-23-2022, 07:17 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,092,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I based my conclusion that she is a Reagan Republican on the fact that she was appointed by a Republican, she is an anti-masker who believes that nobody should be forced to wear a mask even in a courtroom with active COVID cases in the courtroom, and she thinks that Darrell Brooks is a sane articulate person who is capable of defending himself. Personally to consider Brooks to be "articulate' I think you have to have a very low bar for what you consider articulate.

I agree with you about the state of in-patient mental health facilities and psychiatric wards. To show how bad the problem is, I recently watched a police bodycam video on YouTube. The cops arrived at a burning apartment complex. They helped people evacuate. They were told that there was a 74 year old man in the apartment where the fire started. They informed the fire department. The property manager arrived and points out the 74 year old man standing in the crowd. So the cop goes to talk to him. This is the conversation.

Cop: So, this fire started in your apartment?
Cop: You lit it?
Cop: Why did you light it?
Man: Because that's the only thing I could do to get the fire department out here.

The cops realize they were not talking to a guy with all his marbles, so they started contemplating what to do with him. They didn't want to take him to jail, but they didn't think mental health would take him either. They decided to take him into protective custody, and then they took him to the hospital. By the time they got to the hospital he was totally delusional and shouting obscenities. An hour later the hospital released him, the cops slapped handcuffs on him and took him to jail. The update on the video said that no charges had been filed.

That's the state of mental health in this country. Setting your own home on fire is not enough to get you any mental help these days.
Is pro-air a bad thing? Is unnecessary, non standard cloth covering faces, a requirement anywhere? Neck gaiters pulled over the face serve a purpose outside of mowing? I think Reagan did start masks.

Old 10-23-2022, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
What I find questionable is why would the judge need to confer with the two party's? Is there not a standard on the books for jury instructions and conduct during deliberation?
No I believe that is normal in every trial. I have watched many trials and seen them do it many times. I think this judge even discussed it. She said every trial is unique, and the jury instructions have to be adopted for the trial, or something to that effect. It makes sense. For one thing a lot of jury instructions on the books are not relevant for a particular case. They can't expect the jury to have to sift through all of that and try to find the relevant parts. So they start by removing those parts. Generally the defence and the prosecution agree on what changes need to be made. If they can't agree then the judge decides.

Old 10-23-2022, 07:28 AM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
The judge has been walking on eggshells trying to avoid giving him grounds for appeal.

Abusive people like him will even turn the legal system into a weapon.

What is happening is totally ridiculous.
That is exactly why people such as him need to die during a "struggle" while an arrest is in progress. After all a circus trial is his last moment of fame before consignment to a dungeon.
Quote:
The trial is being held in Waukesha County. This isn't Milwaukee proper weren't talking about. The chances of some bleeding heart individuals on jury are much lower.

I think about this. An angry, underclass Black man who hates White people drove from Milwaukee to Waukesha (a suburb where Whites are 87% of the population and Blacks are 3.3% of the population) specifically to kill White people. He did it with his car. This also took place in a Republican area.
****I wonder how many people will consider where he came from, what lengths he was willing to go to, and his lengthy criminal history. I also think about this. His crime showed that going to the suburbs and keeping public transportation away wasn't going to stop him. Some people might look at his crime and think "we're being invaded". If he did this in Madison, WI, I could see why he could get a slap on the wrist. This was the suburbs, in Waukesha. I bet the judge wants him put away forever.
I suppose, if there is a bleeding heart juror, a Federal prosecution under Civil Rights laws could come into play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Of course he is mentally ill. Murduring another human being is insanity. Does not save him from deserving to be put to death. He is the poster child for the death penalty.
That is why I would like to find a way around these circus trials; we don't need a dissection of Darrell Brooks' mental health.

Old 10-23-2022, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Is pro-air a bad thing? Is unnecessary, non standard cloth covering faces, a requirement anywhere? Neck gaiters pulled over the face serve a purpose outside of mowing? I think Reagan did start masks.
I'm not going debate to that. I just pointed out that she is anti-mask. It's her ideology. You can make what you want of it.

Old 10-23-2022, 09:39 AM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
...That is why I would like to find a way around these circus trials; we don't need a dissection of Darrell Brooks' mental health.
No way. Everyone has the right to defense, even if they stupidly choose to do it themselves because they think they are smarter than everyone else.

I think he's a narcissist, and is enjoying playing pretend lawyer. I watched a little bit of exchange between him and one of the officers that were there that night. You could tell the officer was annoyed at having to answer to this guy. Brooks didn't understand a lot, talked in circles a lot, but there were also times when he imitated what he had seen in the past, or has seen in the courtroom during his own trial.

Not only did he try to use some of the same language, but I paid attention to how he stood, how he talked, how he 'looked through his notes' - he did it like many lawyers do. I watch trials all the time, and he was full on imitating them during his questioning of witnesses. There was a tiny smidgen of empathy for him, in that I see that this person could have been much more than he was.

I don't view him as slow or dumb, he just seems angry and full of himself. Because of that, he chose a different route in life than what he could have made of his life, and now, he deserves the punishment he gets.

Having said that, overall, he was annoyingly cringey, and I didn't want to watch it anymore.

Old 10-23-2022, 07:04 PM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
No way. Everyone has the right to defense, even if they stupidly choose to do it themselves because they think they are smarter than everyone else.***************

Having said that, overall, he was annoyingly cringey, and I didn't want to watch it anymore.
Frankly he should have been picked off by a sharpshooter. It would have saved many lives since he would have died or been crippled during his murderous plunge through the crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies