Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 11:42 AM

35,081 posts, read 17,043,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ordnmx View Post
It's not taught in schools. It's not been a real thing to even do that.
It may not be taught as a literal formal curriculum. What is taught is that whites have privilege and need to feel guilty. This is a letter, with identifying information edited out, sent by my alma mater on June 3, 2020 after George Floyd's murder:
Quote:
Originally Posted by College Dean
Dear Arts & Sciences community, Normally I am one to listen, rather than speak out, on current events as they unfold. I prefer to let our faculty members, who focus on these issues in depth as part of their scholarship, lead in public commentary, and encourage the sharing of their knowledge and insights in furtherance of our public engagement mission. However, at this particular moment, I feel compelled to add my voice to recognize the hurt, anguish and outrage being felt in our community and across our country, and to reaffirm our commitments to promoting equity and inclusivity.

The persistent violence against people of color in this country needs to end, and as an institution with a founding principle dedicated to education for “any person,” we as a community have a responsibility to speak out and act to uphold those principles when we see injustice.

As President _____ wrote in (link deleted) “Decent people and institutions cannot stand silent while such violence against our fellow citizens continues.” Whether you are demonstrating peacefully in public, working on research to address inequality and injustice, advising students or comforting co-workers who are in pain, we all can be doing our part to counter bias and racism in our community and country.

I have heard many colleagues refer to our College as the beating heart of this University. Our work is even more timely now in addressing the deeper roots of racism and bias. Let’s do our part as individuals, academics and professionals to keep that beat going and support one another to ensure that our shared values strengthen our community and our country.

Sincerely,
I wrote back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa
I am jbgusa, Arts and Sciences 1979, and write in response to your email of June 3, 2020. By coincidence, that would have been the ninety-fifth birthday of my father, jbgusa Sr., Class of 1947.

I cannot agree with the self-flagellation of your letter and similar correspondence from clergy and academic leaders.

This is eerily similar to the armed takeover of the Student Union Building in April 1969, see A campus takeover that symbolized an era of change (link deleted). As those familiar with University history know , the surrender to “demonstrator” demands caused many professors, particularly in Government, to resign. Any surrender or accommodation to violence has that result; constructive people of quality flee.No decent human being can stomach the brutal killing of George Floyd. However, there have been similarly brutal killings, of people of color far less flawed as citizens than Mr. Floyd. David Dorn, a black retired 77 year old police officer who was trying to protect a pawnshop from looters comes to mind. Where are the protests? After all he was also black. The minority communities wind up being far more severely injured than the "racists."
If this isn't CRT by another name I don't know what is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2022, 07:16 AM

869 posts, read 320,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
It may not be taught as a literal formal curriculum. What is taught is that whites have privilege and need to feel guilty. This is a letter, with identifying information edited out, sent by my alma mater on June 3, 2020 after George Floyd's murder:

I wrote back:

So...only people with squeaky clean, non-problematic backgrounds should be noticed when they are murdered?

Gotcha.

Old 01-27-2022, 07:18 AM

869 posts, read 320,073 times
Nah....it's pretty much just THIS.

Those who support CRT being taught in public schools, what is your reasoning?-yep.jpg

Old 01-27-2022, 08:20 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,102,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

I wrote back:

So I guess you won't be donating this year during the Alumni Drive, not knowing the school I really can't comment on a college. But the argument is "public schools" not college where courses touching on CRT have long existed. Of course if you favor a more chaste college experience there are plenty of conservative college that maintain a braces on their brains outlook over what is taught...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies